Garmin Fenix 3

StevieL

No they dont.  It is a older version of the cycleops bike that they use i think (resistance not even controlled, you still turn the know to increase resitance).  Cant remember what the exact story was (something about permision required from cycleops to open up the software, these bikes are a few years old and back then everything did not talk nicely to one another), but the point is that if they did not swap to "newer" bikes it is not possible.

Edit:

Think this is the bikes they are still using

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61BUL8Y5EbL._SY355_.jpg

Those are the ones, can only pair HR strap.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

btw have you guys seen what massive sale amazon had on the f3? Went for R5499, but that special is finished. I have read all the reviews. Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

it was amazon prime day special...was less than that...it was 229 pounds.....happened 2 days after i bought my FR230 from amazon! bugger

p.s. you can get a separate optical hrm that you can strap on your upper arm or leg if you want to avoid the chest strap...i.e. http://www.scosche.com/rhythm-plus-1

There is a very cool group on Facebook calles "Garmin Fenix 3 Talks" .....great to share your problems and questions there

I did a swim this morning in a pool with a brick-and-mortar border..... you can see where this is heading... 

So I got a large chip on the glass, smack-bang in the middle of the screen... the watch is 3 months old  :(

What are my options? Can one do a repair like you do on your car windscreen when it chips or would I be better off replacing the glass?

I did a swim this morning in a pool with a brick-and-mortar border..... you can see where this is heading... 

So I got a large chip on the glass, smack-bang in the middle of the screen... the watch is 3 months old  :(

What are my options? Can one do a repair like you do on your car windscreen when it chips or would I be better off replacing the glass?

Take it to Garmin/Navworld and see what they say and see how much,

Else you can buy a new front and glass on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Front-case-with-glass-and-buttons-for-Garmin-fenix-2-genuine-part-repair-/262127595001

Obviously I would have concerns about the water proofing if I replaced the part myself and warranty would be void

Else you can buy a new front and glass on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Front-case-with-glass-and-buttons-for-Garmin-fenix-2-genuine-part-repair-/262127595001

Obviously I would have concerns about the water proofing if I replaced the part myself and warranty would be void

Thanks

I see there is a Navworld now in Lynwood rd at the Gift Acres centre, pretty close to work so will pop in there.

Edited by Rookie85

Thanks

I see there is a Navworld now in Lynwood rd at the Gift Acres centre, pretty close to work so will pop in there.

Just noticed the ebay link I gave you was for an F2 and not an F3 but am sure you can get an F3 replacement case online.

I think Navworld will be the best option though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Glass-Garmin-fenix-3-tactix-Bravo-part-replacement-repair-lens-HR-/262514302807?hash=item3d1f125f57:g:F6MAAOSwzJ5XfnTD

But let me know what the guys at Navworld say, Regardt and Stephan are both really cool and always willing to help.

I am currently struggling with the replacement of my HRM-Tri sensor's band as it has taken some strain over the last year and I bought it (brand new) off here but it seems like you will have to pay R2.4k every time it's done for a new one....

+1 on Navworld. They wll sort it out.

Not sure that the eBay option is the best.

Thanks

Ok I was in the area so quickly popped past and spoke to Phillip.

Unfortunately not so good news..

Due to the high cost of importing a new body (around R4k) they do an exchange for around R2k - You take the watch with cracked glass in and they will replace the whole unit.

Same with the HRM-Tri and HRM- Swim bands, since you cannot detach the sensor they will exchange it if the belt is worn out for around R1.2k.

Edited by Izak

it was amazon prime day special...was less than that...it was 229 pounds.....happened 2 days after i bought my FR230 from amazon! bugger

p.s. you can get a separate optical hrm that you can strap on your upper arm or leg if you want to avoid the chest strap...i.e. http://www.scosche.com/rhythm-plus-1

Where can I get this in SA?

Ok I was in the area so quickly popped past and spoke to Phillip.

Unfortunately not so good news..

Due to the high cost of importing a new body (around R4k) they do an exchange for around R2k - You take the watch with cracked glass in and they will replace the whole unit.

Same with the HRM-Tri and HRM- Swim bands, since you cannot detach the sensor they will exchange it if the belt is worn out for around R1.2k.

Thanks for the feedback.

In that case I'll live with the scratch in the meantime, it is unsightly but only cosmetic. You know how murphy works: if I change it now it will only scratch again within the first month. So I'll rather accumulate some damage before doing the exchange.

Where can I get this in SA?

As far as I know you can't unless if you order directly from them.

Your alternative is MIO Velo or Link ( there isn't stock on the link as far as I have been told and they won't be bringing any more of those in) and you can only get the Velo at the moment.

Some Totalsports still have stock on the Link but at a R300 premium (R1999 vs R1699)

Thanks for the feedback.

In that case I'll live with the scratch in the meantime, it is unsightly but only cosmetic. You know how murphy works: if I change it now it will only scratch again within the first month. So I'll rather accumulate some damage before doing the exchange.

Yeah something I neglected t ask is whether they will replace for a cosmetic scratch as well or whether it need to be cracked i.e. the 'integrity' of the watch compromised by it.

Otherwise we must just see what you can do on our own buy a  replacement from ebay or wherever and have a watchmaker fit it in a vacuum for you...

Edit:

Or check here https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/200189-mio-link-white-with-charger/

Unfortunately the user isn't responding...

Edited by Izak

Morning All, 

Just a quick question:

Im looking to get the Fenix 3, but cant decide which one is better, I will mostly use it for mountain biking and gyming, but have heard that when mountain biking with it the Fenix 3 HR can loose connection with your heart rate when descending.

So if you had to choose between the 2 options (Fenix 3 HR vs Fenix 3 with HR strap) which will you choose?

What are your experience with the Fenix 3 HR when hammering it down a descent? 

Morning All, 

Just a quick question:

Im looking to get the Fenix 3, but cant decide which one is better, I will mostly use it for mountain biking and gyming, but have heard that when mountain biking with it the Fenix 3 HR can loose connection with your heart rate when descending.

So if you had to choose between the 2 options (Fenix 3 HR vs Fenix 3 with HR strap) which will you choose?

What are your experience with the Fenix 3 HR when hammering it down a descent? 

So you have to make a call.

Looking at reviews across the board on wrist based HR, it is not 100% accurate.

Judging by die drops on my chest strap daily, neither is chest HR all the time reliable.

So the question is....what are you going to do with this data?  Is it critical to the analysis after the ride?  Will a downhill's data loss be that important? 

Then in the race......so you are hammering it down.....do you look at your HR and make decisions based on the reading?

Personally I don't use HR that much in a race.  My power measurement is much more important.  HR is a by product of how hard you are pushing or feeling.

Thus the loss I have on data during a MTB ride is not that critical to me.  So I opted to go for the Fenix HR one. 

My resting pulse gets measured now every day.  And in determining if I am getting sick or having a bad day, this is much more valuable to me than the data in a ride.

That said, you can always just add a HR strap to the HR's ANT+ devices and off you go.......best of both worlds.  ;)