Garmin Fenix 3

StevieL

So I just transited through Doha and I checked out the duty free price on the Fenix 3 HR Sapphire.  QR1,699 or US469.  Roughly R6,400.  I'm heading back through there in about 10 days time.  Hopefully they still have stock!

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Navworld will be having their trade in deals from Today, maybe worth a look? [emoji106]

Trade in deals?

Trade in deals?

They were planning a "bring your watch and pay special prices on fenix 3 / HR models" but just spoke to them and it has been put on hold.

So this Fenix requires you to wear the strap in order to have heart rate measured? It's not the wrist side measure as well is it?

Trying to work out why the HR advertised model is cheaper in normal retail price by almost 2K?

http://www.takealot.com/garmin-fenix-3-sapphire-hr-grey/PLID42257002

Because they hike up the normal retail price of something on sale to have a higher % discount shown on the Daily Deals page. Cheap advertisement trick that plenty of places do when they launch a sale. It is still a nice price, just that the %discount is deceiving. 

The performer bundle includes the HRM Run strap which is a few randelas on its own. Although it (the one I posted the link to) does not have wrist based HR measurement the HRM Run strap itself adds some extra measurements when running such as gct and balance.

Normal retail price might be inflated but still a good deal.

Edited by rvdm1

Pulled the trigger. Awaiting delivery.... Will have to reread this thread to see what useful tips are already hiding in here!

Congrats TH, may you use it in good health!

I also picked one up last week from Autostyle, and have had loads of fun with it this weekend learning  the features. Its an amazing piece of kit, I must say that I was a tad dissapointed that the wrist HR monitor does not pick up heart rate in the pool. I see now that sportsmans are selling a water hr strap, but I dont feel like dropping another 2K on it.

Anyway, I got the Saphire HR. I did some interesting experimenting on the idt yesterday with the wrist heart rate sensor. I broadcast the heart rate from the watch to my 510, and climbed on the idt. Interestingly, I noted a significant drop in heart rate measurement when standing, which, is of course the complete opposite of what really happens. But, as soon as I sat down again, the hr went up. Hence, my conclusion is that when standing, either the angle of ones hand, or maybe the inhibition of blood flow to the palm, temporarily interferes with the measurement, and takes it totally out whack. I am going to carry on with this experiment, once my hr strap, which is giving me grief, is fixed or replaced.

The noob question I have is that I have not figured out how to download workouts from garmin connect to the fenix unit. When it syncs, it uploads workouts recorded on the watch - no prob. But,  it does did not download the ride i did using the 510, even though it is on garmin connect. There seems to be no indication in the user manual as to how to do this. Anyone have any idea?

Edited by Harryn

The noob question I have is that I have not figured out how to download workouts from garmin connect to the fenix unit. When it syncs, it uploads workouts recorded on the watch - no prob. But,  it does did not download the ride i did using the 510, even though it is on garmin connect. There seems to be no indication in the user manual as to how to do this. Anyone have any idea?

As far as I know (makes sense to me personally) is that it has an indicator for which device it was done on and therefore only syncs to that device.  

Also it will not even sync your fenix exercises back from connect for activities it is a one way sync to the portal.

You can however go to activities on connect and download the relevant activity *.fit files to your pc and then connect your fenix and browse to the 'New Files' folder on the watch and copy the activities you want back n the watch in there.

This works for all files you want on the watch that doesn't sync automatically ... drop them in there and, according to type, they will be moved to the relevant folders on your fenix.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Izak

As far as I know (makes sense to me personally) is that it has an indicator for which device it was done on and therefore only syncs to that device.  

Also it will not even sync your fenix exercises back from connect for activities it is a one way sync to the portal.

You can however go to activities on connect and download the relevant activity *.fit files to your pc and then connect your fenix and browse to the 'New Files' folder on the watch and copy the activities you want back n the watch in there.

This works for all files you want on the watch that doesn't sync automatically ... drop them in there and, according to type, they will be moved to the relevant folders on your fenix.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Izak, much appreciated.

That is too much of a ball ache to do on an on going basis, and I guess no real purpose to it, as all the data is in any event on gc and on strava.

I think, whats done on the fenix will stay on the fenix, and the same goes for the for the 510. 

Hi @Izak

I have another question, if you don't mind.

If I pair the fenix 3 to my Ant + chest strap, will the watch automatically read hr from the strap when it is in range, or must I disable the wrist HR first?

Hi @Izak

I have another question, if you don't mind.

If I pair the fenix 3 to my Ant + chest strap, will the watch automatically read hr from the strap when it is in range, or must I disable the wrist HR first?

It seems as if you will have to turn it off if it's on your wrist and paired to both and you have the strap on already.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/fenix3/EN-US/GUID-CEE01C08-4EAD-4EF2-AF52-8033A9695572.html

It seems as if you will have to turn it off if it's on your wrist and paired to both and you have the strap on already.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/fenix3/EN-US/GUID-CEE01C08-4EAD-4EF2-AF52-8033A9695572.html

I had a hr and it defaults to the strap if paired...just set it to auto.

But the wrist based hr is junk.

I had issue after issue after issue, 3 different watches all same problem. All 3 seemed to work okish 1 run or cycle only to start bombing later.

Low and inconsistent data, random dead spots, random hr that slowly drops to zero and stays there with a reboot before each use the only cure.

Im back on a normal f3 with a hrm tri, the optical is a gimmick that is a hit and mis, mostly a miss.

Apart from that there are various orher issue that the normal f3 doesn't have such as inconsistent baro reading, eratic alt reading, battery drain.

And a sport like mtb or trail run with losts of bounch it's totally useless. Has to be super tight and a even sport such as trainer or road running.

Obviously swim also doesnt work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by RoboJedi