Full or Partial Knee Construction - advice

Spez247

Hi all. Have to make a tough decision. Do I go the full Monty, or will the partial get me back on the bike?

Any issues or regrets, post op?

Do you recommend a surgeon, for a second or third opinion?

I'm in the same predicament, torn ACL, been walking & riding around like this for the past 7 years but I'm thinking old age now. Don't want problems later on in life.

My opinion - do the minimum possible to become pain free - you can always go bigger later.

and definitely get a second and third opinion before deciding.

One place in Gauteng for Knees..

Ponky Firer / Brad Gelbart at the linksfield.

My dad tore his cruciate ligament in his left knee and had his right knee replaced.

Both perfect jobs.

One place in Gauteng for Knees..

Ponky Firer / Brad Gelbart at the linksfield.

My dad tore his cruciate ligament in his left knee and had his right knee replaced.

Both perfect jobs.

I've read the 3rd line 5 times now and still not sure :eek:

I've read the 3rd line 5 times now and still not sure :eek:

haha

he tore is cruciate ligament in his left knee... had that fixed

The he had to have his right knee replaced after struggling with it for years!

two separate events over a few years...

Pinky all the way , my sister did some major damage to ger knee about 10 years ago ( she was 19 at the time) he did what was needed and now she is running marathons....if you have not seen him go and get his input.

My opinion - do the minimum possible to become pain free - you can always go bigger later.

and definitely get a second and third opinion before deciding.

Can't agree more.

Remember the replacement has a limited lifespan, so if the initial replacement is minimally invasive it at least provides more options for a revision in later life

Can't agree more.

Remember the replacement has a limited lifespan, so if the initial replacement is minimally invasive it at least provides more options for a revision in later life

Also sometimes you get lucky and the repair lasts longer than expected.

I have some carbon kevlar reinforcing in my one knee - average lifespan 6 years - mine are pretty much fine after 31 so far.

I had my ACL replaced last year with a hamstring graff. SO far its been great. I was up and walking after the op. Back on IDT within 2 or 3 months. Started riding road about 4 or so months later and finally back on mtb after about 8 months. Did my first 50km ride a few weeks ago, and man I should do that more often. Only avg 15km rides lately but thats like 3 to 5 times a week

I have some carbon kevlar reinforcing in my one knee - 

No wonder you ride like the Bionic man........

I had my ACL replaced last year with a hamstring graff. SO far its been great. I was up and walking after the op. Back on IDT within 2 or 3 months. Started riding road about 4 or so months later and finally back on mtb after about 8 months. Did my first 50km ride a few weeks ago, and man I should do that more often. Only avg 15km rides lately but thats like 3 to 5 times a week

Had mine done (same procedure as you) in 2011 after I tore it on the hockey field. . It's the reason I started riding a bike, now it's stronger than ever.

thats good to hear I was told minimum 12months & declined the op at the time cause quit football, might just do it afterall.

thats good to hear I was told minimum 12months & declined the op at the time cause quit football, might just do it afterall.

In all honesty I was back on my feet the next day. I am now playing soccer every wed.

Jean de Villiers is hoping to get back to World Cup form in less than 8 months after having EVERYTHING repaired.

Archived