Green cycle lanes in Bree Street misuse

raymakestv

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/sep/29/bike-lane-sticker-campaign-canada-uk

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/9/29/1411991711202/2e506bef-50b5-4970-a589-e28aef9bc9c1-bestSizeAvailable.png

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/bike-blog/2015/feb/13/cyclists-fight-back-the-sticker-project-thats-shaming-cars-parked-in-bike-lanes

THIS is superb!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a different area - I see they have started painting cycle lanes along Albert Road, through Woodstock and Salt River, something I have eagerly been waiting for.......I hope it doesn't fail the same way as Bree Street. :(

In a different area - I see they have started painting cycle lanes along Albert Road, through Woodstock and Salt River, something I have eagerly been waiting for.......I hope it doesn't fail the same way as Bree Street. :(

They need bollards or a section of raised dividers - like the bike / run section along Rondebosch Kommin

I have some friends that work along that stretch of road and the cycle lanes have reduced the already slim pickings of parking along there.  And if they want to park in the side streets, the gangs threaten them for money or else their cars won't be there when they finish work.  A bit of a catch 22 for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some friends that work along that stretch of road and the cycle lanes have reduced the already slim pickings of parking along there.  And if they want to park in the side streets, the gangs threaten them for money or else their cars won't be there when they finish work.  A bit of a catch 22 for them.

but the cycle lanes do not reduce parking bays. The lanes are demarcated in the road area/zone.....unless your friends liked to double park all the time, in that case yes, they cycle lane would infringe on their "parking" space.

Hairy Legs <hairylegs.mtb@gmail.com>
3:42 PM (0 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to info
cleardot.gif

To the Director, Schmidhauser Electrical, Cape Town, 97 Loop Street, Cape Town, 8000

Please would you advise your staff not to illegally park in the dedicated cycle lanes as per the pic attached and also please refer to the link of a thread where this is was noted. It should also be noted that your company parks in the lanes numerous times a day and multiple vehicles too. I have before seen more than one of your vehicles parked in the green lanes at the same time.

We are as a cycling community put at risk every time a vehicle is parked or uses the dedicated green cycling lanes and are therefore working towards ensuring that other users are aware of and respect the green cycling lanes.

I will also be copying this email to the thread in order for the other users of that stretch of road to be aware that you have been notified in writing thereof.

Kind Regards

any reply?

but the cycle lanes do not reduce parking bays. The lanes are demarcated in the road area/zone.....unless your friends liked to double park all the time, in that case yes, they cycle lane would infringe on their "parking" space.

I'll double check with them, but from how it was explained to me, the cycle lane along there eliminated the parking bays.... 

I think Disylizzy is right that on street parking in Albert Road has been removed and converted to a bike lane. It is pretty tough for workers there but it is consistent with an international move to non motorized transport. The car is 5 minutes to midnight

I'll double check with them, but from how it was explained to me, the cycle lane along there eliminated the parking bays.... 

Just took a google earth walk along Bree street and the cycle lane in no way infringes on off street parking at all

I think they're referring to the new cycle lane down Albert rd in woodstock/salt river. I would love for the lane there to work out (as I commute to woodstock) but I doubt it will.

I think Disylizzy is right that on street parking in Albert Road has been removed and converted to a bike lane. It is pretty tough for workers there but it is consistent with an international move to non motorized transport. The car is 5 minutes to midnight

That would be different, I thought the comment was RE the CT Bree Street lanes.

That would be different, I thought the comment was RE the CT Bree Street lanes.

Nope, responded to DJR where he mentioned Albert Road.  I'm very familiar with Bree Street, cross it every day and travel along there at least once a week.

Nope, responded to DJR where he mentioned Albert Road.  I'm very familiar with Bree Street, cross it every day and travel along there at least once a week.

my mistake sorry.

Door of death on the link road between the cycle lanes along side the civic center to the lanes out of town. Just managed to swerve in time.

Are you using your Fly6 yet?

Archived