Green cycle lanes in Bree Street misuse

raymakestv

I was doing a shoot on Bree Street yesterday to get shots of the cycle lanes that the city put up, this just after interviewing the mayoral committee member for transport. This is what I saw.

post-41131-0-79118100-1425361023_thumb.jpg

post-41131-0-52263200-1425361040_thumb.jpg

post-41131-0-62828900-1425361055_thumb.jpg

It's being used as a parking lane, and Active Sushi has a nice branded advertisement parking on the cycle lane.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a funny story regarding the bike lanes in Bree Street...

One of the consultants that we work with is an avid biker and was supposed to meet with us and we kept waiting and waiting and eventually his secretary called to say that he had been detained by SAPS because on his usual morning cycle through town he likes to enlighten motorists obstructing the cycle lane by squirting water at the cars as he cycles past.  One such vehicle had an big afrikaans boere oomie sitting behind the wheel with his window open, and he got sprayed in the face with the water bottle.  He took chase and tried to cut our consultant off with his big bakkie.  The consultant then unclipped from his cleats and stuck his foot out to avoid riding in to the bakkie and subsequently dented the door.  Fortunately there were some witnesses to the incident otherwise the oomie would've probably tried to do some more damage to our consultant.  The cops were called and fortunately he got off with a warning and had to pay for the damage to the door.  Hopefully the oomie learned his lesson about stopping in the cycle lane.  And knowing our consultant, he's probably still enlightening vehicles...  :)

I have a funny story regarding the bike lanes in Bree Street...

One of the consultants that we work with is an avid biker and was supposed to meet with us and we kept waiting and waiting and eventually his secretary called to say that he had been detained by SAPS because on his usual morning cycle through town he likes to enlighten motorists obstructing the cycle lane by squirting water at the cars as he cycles past.  One such vehicle had an big afrikaans boere oomie sitting behind the wheel with his window open, and he got sprayed in the face with the water bottle.  He took chase and tried to cut our consultant off with his big bakkie.  The consultant then unclipped from his cleats and stuck his foot out to avoid riding in to the bakkie and subsequently dented the door.  Fortunately there were some witnesses to the incident otherwise the oomie would've probably tried to do some more damage to our consultant.  The cops were called and fortunately he got off with a warning and had to pay for the damage to the door.  Hopefully the oomie learned his lesson about stopping in the cycle lane.  And knowing our consultant, he's probably still enlightening vehicles...   :)

Maar jy sien meisiekind, die storie loop so. As 'n boere oomie dan nou besluit om vir die vrou en kinners dorp toe te bring, dan sit hy gewoonlik innie bakkie en wag vir hulle om hulle inkopies en wat nog klaar te maak. Nou, jy sien die boere oomie kom vannie platteland af. Hy bly op 'n plaas waar hy kan loop parkeer net waar hy wil, en niemand kan hom iets vertel nie. Maar nou hier innie stad maak die boggers hom betaal net om asem te haal, wat nog te se van parkeer. So hy stellie belang nie. Hy sallie betaal vir paarking nie. Nou ja, daar sien hy dan 'n oop stuk paarking langs die pad met 'n groen streep op en hy reken, die groen lyk soos sy lusern land se groen, en sy bakkie kan op lusern park. so daar loop staan hy op die groen streep. En in elk geval, op die plaas is dit net Stoffel wat met 'n baaisiekel ry. As die boereoomie nie met sy bakkie ry nie, dan ry hy op sy kwad-baaik. Hy weet niks van baaisiekels af nie. Nou moet die mannetjie op die baaisiekel nie vir hom spuit met water en sy bakiie skop nie, want die boere oomie raak bedonnerd oor sulke dinge. Hy strip sy moer en pluk sommer sy rollie uit, want jy sien oor al die plaas moorde loop hy lankal nerens sonder sy rollie nie. Pleks die bliksempie vir die boere oomie net vra hy moenie daar park, want Stoffel gat netnou hier verbykom op sy baaisiekel en dan staan daar 'n bakkie oppie groen streep, en dan gaan Stoffel net daar neerdonner innie pad. Die oomie sal verstaan, hys nie dom nie.

( And before anyone is offended, I am a boere oomie met n pa wat n plaas het :whistling:  )

Ok, I often leu people know not to park there when cycling past.

Will the city honestly take action against those parked in the green lanes bad on photographic evidence. .......?

Problem is that traffic police are too lazy to stop and ticket such offenders. I have seen on number of times how they will just drive past. However it is much easier for them to go to a parking lot and issue tickets to cars with expired licenses

Ok, I often leu people know not to park there when cycling past.

Will the city honestly take action against those parked in the green lanes bad on photographic evidence. .......?

From what I've heard, yes

Problem is that traffic police are too lazy to stop and ticket such offenders. I have seen on number of times how they will just drive past. However it is much easier for them to go to a parking lot and issue tickets to cars with expired licenses

I have seen Metro Police vehicles parked in the cycle lanes, between street vendors who have set up their stalls in the cycle lane.

I have seen Metro Police vehicles parked in the cycle lanes, between street vendors who have set up their stalls in the cycle lane.

Yeah, that's Metro though, which isn't controlled by the province. I'd LOVE to see traffic police ticket SAPS for their transgressions!

I work nearby and the drivers park over green lane everyday and nothing happened to them...

Maybe we must all get together and cycle along the green lane. If they park, we must put big poster with wall glue over their windows...

The only thing the green cycle lanes in Bree St are good for is parking.

I use them daily on my commute to work and for the past two years I have made the authorites aware of the misuse (particularly outside the electrical hardware store between 7 and 9am) with no progress.

One begins to wonder what the point of even trying is..