Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Dude you were looking for a reaction from me...we mos have history

but whatever.

I learned a lot from El Captain here today. And now understand why CTCT made certain decisions, so the good news is that I can tell me friends who think like I used to think, what is really up.

So call me stupid, slow. I had the guts to keep asking the questions until I understood  the answer. (not until I was given and answer) until I understood it.

And lucky for me El Captain the decency to explain it without name calling etc.

Please go check my posts again, I feel exactly the same as you.

I was replying to Gluhwein and to Armpies and then suddenly you tell me I am trolling

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a bit busy today, so haven't had time to follow this thread.

But what will happen with the seedings post this ride? Will they use the 2014 result (for individuals who don't ride any other events) for the 2016 event?

Will this time be scrapped, I hear they're still timing the event.

Timing will be to ensure you're an official finisher. This event will likely get all the same penalties other races of shorter distances get. It's the only way to ensure consistency across the seeding formula. Make sure you ride one of the other seeding races sometime during 2015 if you're interested in a decent start group for 2016 version.

I also don't have an issue to pay for a fully redundant route, but for many out there R800 is a lot of moola.

Why 800...the planning and permissions etc are not gonna double the cost....that probably 50 per entry at most...that's 1.75mil just there..and the city can come aboard. ...unless PPA want to be generous and part with some cash to prevent this fiasco from happening again...☺

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing, especialy if all the facts are now available....

Agree, but unfortunately there are many expert event organizers behind their keyboards that know better...that would still disagree.

Pity....

Guest Smimby

Nope, no misunderstanding. Monday the option to ride the longer detour route over OKW was still ont he table, dependant on whether fire services were able to contain and put out the fire. At that time there was some burning that had happened, but the real issue came through Monday evening into Tuesday and Tuesday night. At that point the route became a figment of full distance imagination. How could they have annouced this earlier?

Well said, I also listen to the soundbyte now, and there DB says that they had to submit a plan on Tuesday which was out the windows that afternoon /  evening.

Hence another plan on Wednesday.

Everything makes more sense now. Seems they did try their best. Although DB did not say that they did or did not consider an alternate route to the southern one, I think that so much was going on that they might not even have been a thought. And in hindsight I see what they mean

Timing will be to ensure you're an official finisher. This event will likely get all the same penalties other races of shorter distances get. It's the only way to ensure consistency across the seeding formula. Make sure you ride one of the other seeding races sometime during 2015 if you're interested in a decent start group for 2016 version.

Yeah, just keen to know. I will invariably take it easy on Sunday and wouldn't want to be penalized. I will definitely be doing other events.

Why 800...the planning and permissions etc are not gonna double the cost....that probably 50 per entry at most...that's 1.75mil just there..and the city can come aboard. ...unless PPA want to be generous and part with some cash to prevent this fiasco from happening again...☺

The bulk of the cost is the start venue, finish venue and road closure fees. It is substantially more than R1,75 mil. It would probably make up the bulk of the +-R5 million cost of putting up the event. Double this and the charities get half of what they are getting this year. 

Guest Smimby

Please go check my posts again, I feel exactly the same as you.

I was replying to Gluhwein and to Armpies and then suddenly you tell me I am trolling

HAHA

Was surely thinking that you wanted an reaction. You never agree with me? You even said you don't like me.

Was just funny that you started asking the questions that I just got answers to 

:-)

The bulk of the cost is the start venue, finish venue and road closure fees. It is substantially more than R1,75 mil. It would probably make up the bulk of the +-R5 million cost of putting up the event. Double this and the charities get half of what they are getting this year. 

PPA made 4.7 million on this last year, surely they should thrown that option in for free :ph34r:

Guest Smimby

Wow that's rich...Just stay at home then.No one cares about your opinion.Why cry about it when you know you cant do anything about it...o and please stop being a prick before saying anything about a persons attitude...If you look closely its your attitude that's spoiling it for the rest of the people who want to ride the race in good fun.

Please read the thread. Look what I said later

Edit, What is it with the name calling people?

Can you not debate?

Edited by Smimby

And they will only use one location out of the options available....and the city will be onboard. ..no need to double the cost..????

Can't they take is to the BAck of Durbanville around Vissershok and Kottermanskloof coming in onthe West Coast road or Plattekloof road back to Town ?

No, actually they can't, you see I want to go ride at CONTERMANSKLOOF on Sunday after the funride, and I really do not want to get caught up in all that traffic...

Nope, no misunderstanding. Monday the option to ride the longer detour route over OKW was still on the table, dependant on whether fire services were able to contain and put out the fire. At that time there was some burning that had happened, but the real issue came through Monday evening into Tuesday and Tuesday night. At that point the route became a figment of full distance imagination. How could they have annouced this earlier?

..and therein lies the issue "dependant on" this denotes uncertainty. The argument was rather simply remove this uncertainly and make a call based on the facts on hand at the time. People understand its a fluid issue and things can change, all they want to know is where they stand early enough so they can also make decisions, keeping them hanging till the last minute is not good PR.