Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

What alien vegetation? It's all gone.

And no. The fynbos will flourish in these conditions and will grow far faster than the aliens.

Take a look in 6months time.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. Yes, I'd call you a dick to your face, given your stance on this. Doesn't mean I don't count you as a mate.

Wait. That sounded off a bit strange.

Please let me know where you sitting. I will bring the champers :)

We will discuss the merits of this great city of ours and this world class organisation called the trust, having done better than this.

Well, now Im not gonna go to bed early. I will be having a few more bottles of wine and then a few more bottles in the hotel. Then I wil wake up with n moerse babbalas. Do the 47km in n swirwing way to make op for the other 62k's. Stop for breakfast at the turning point and hope the wind pumps on my way back to make me struggle even more.

So yes, its sad, but cycle I will cycle!

Take a look in 6months time.

You don't know what's going to go on From here for the aliens. After the (planned - in the future) burn there was always going to be a pull of immature alien plants if they cropped up...

This is ridiculous, have you worked out the entry per km, surely a shorter route = no where near what we paid!  If we have complained in the past how entry fees have got out of hand, this may be "unavoidable" but really 47km at the entry we paid!

Send me your bank account details and I will refund you.

Then grow up and see the big picture.

We are going to make the best of it and have a blast. Did the 55km mtb last weekend and this would have been my first double. At least I will have two medals for 2015.

The big lower here is Clicks because I was going to buy my Vooma and Energade jellies tomorrow.

Edited by BB Giant

Yo. You are way to angry. Back off on the steroids. Yes I dont know what it takes to close roads etc. I am only asking a question and ask what you guys think of "my alternative route". Clearly only your opinion count. I feel for the people that has been affected the last few days and I will ride on Sunday. No reason for you to call me a d$ck. Get over yourself. Your not an El Captans se gat werd nie.

Why don't they just move it. Imagine this route. Start Stellenbosch (Coetzenburg) go towards Somerset West then take N2 over Sir Lowrys pass to Grabouw. From Grabouw go towards Villiersdorp over that small pass cross the dam and turn left towards Franschoek over the Franchoek pass . From Franchoek go over Helshoogte pass towards Stellenbosch back to Coetzenburg. Will be roughly 100km and over 4 passes. They can call it the Cape Town 4 passes cycle tour. Not much trafic on these roads except for the 18km stretch on the N2. Certainly less traffic than M3 and around Cape Town so it should be easy to close. Should be the permanent "alternative route"

4 Passes is a great ride, but not everyone who can finish an Argus will be able to do it. The actual distance is closer to 130km and the total climb more than double the Argus.

What alien vegetation? It's all gone.

And no. The fynbos will flourish in these conditions and will grow far faster than the aliens.

Depends on the seed bank.. Alien species may be a problem but too early to tell. Acacias etc. can throw down enormous amounts of seed and are faster to regenerate than lots of natives. But yeah, lots of speculation about it, see in a few months.

Come on guys & girls, do this one - you will tell your grandchildren about the year the fires were so bad, the route had to be shortened. We have to show that as cyclists, we stand with the greater Cape Town community. 

Just go and have a slow one, take the mountain bike with knobblies.

Kudos to the organisers for going ahead still.

Depends on the seed bank.. Alien species may be a problem but too early to tell. Acacias etc. can throw down enormous amounts of seed and are faster to regenerate than lots of natives. But yeah, lots of speculation about it, see in a few months.

Yeah, agreed. But the aliens in tokai (from what I've heard) weren't yet in seed. So it changes the dynamic A bit.

Yo. You are way to angry. Back off on the steroids. Yes I dont know what it takes to close roads etc. I am only asking a question and ask what you guys think of "my alternative route". Clearly only your opinion count. I feel for the people that has been affected the last few days and I will ride on Sunday. No reason for you to call me a d$ck. Get over yourself. Your not an El Captans se gat werd nie.

Yes I dont know what it takes to close roads etc. I am only asking a question and ask what you guys think of "my alternative.

There are big differences between the permissions needed for closing off a Municipal route like the M3 and a National Route like the N2.

The city council is authorised to close M roads but would not have the competence to do so with a national road.

Two very different scenarios.

Edited by WalterWhite

Sympathy goes out to those people who were effected in the fires, I do however think they should have considered either doing the Burger Route or even the 99er Route. Yes a little logistics but I guess R400 X  35 000 = R 14 000 000 should have covered it.