Tokai after the fire

TokaiMTB

You have an incredible amount of rational thought, so much it's scary! Thanks for adding this very clear perspective.

..and thanks for everyones understanding so far. You are all right, moving through the Park when we have been requested to remain clear will only add frustration to an already stressful situation. Parks have made it clear that they will not hesitate to make examples of people who think the restricted access does not apply to them. It will be a shame and again end in an unnecessary disgruntlement.

TokaiMTB has been added to the emergency crew list and in time will begin surveying the damage. We are quite happy to post pics of the area but please; horse riders, cyclists walkers, hikers, joggers trail runners, even dragging yourself on your bum counts as access, are required to stay out of the park.

Cape Pine will asses the tree damage and provide a new schedule and following discussions, decide on what the best solution will be. In the meantime, flare-ups and underground fires will slowly be extinguished or left to subside by themselves. Sinkholes and boulders the size of small cars breaking loose are two more hazards that are not considered but have the potential for great personal harm. There have been very few injuries during the worst of the fire, it would be a waste to have people being injured now.

Please could TokaiMTB have as much support during the next few months to try to adhere to TMNP's request and also when we get closer to presenting and finding approval for a new trail network, help with any kind of financial support. Table Mountain National Park are looking for a world class facility and the mountain biking community are the conduit to getting what they, and ultimately WE want.

I need sleep, Myles, Mark, you guys still coughing?

Yep. Sinus headache still here as well. Seems I took a bit more in when I fell into that one sinkhole and had it coincide with a puff of superheated ash and clay...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have an incredible amount of rational thought, so much it's scary! Thanks for adding this very clear perspective.

..and thanks for everyones understanding so far. You are all right, moving through the Park when we have been requested to remain clear will only add frustration to an already stressful situation. Parks have made it clear that they will not hesitate to make examples of people who think the restricted access does not apply to them. It will be a shame and again end in an unnecessary disgruntlement.

TokaiMTB has been added to the emergency crew list and in time will begin surveying the damage. We are quite happy to post pics of the area but please; horse riders, cyclists walkers, hikers, joggers trail runners, even dragging yourself on your bum counts as access, are required to stay out of the park.

Cape Pine will asses the tree damage and provide a new schedule and following discussions, decide on what the best solution will be. In the meantime, flare-ups and underground fires will slowly be extinguished or left to subside by themselves. Sinkholes and boulders the size of small cars breaking loose are two more hazards that are not considered but have the potential for great personal harm. There have been very few injuries during the worst of the fire, it would be a waste to have people being injured now.

Please could TokaiMTB have as much support during the next few months to try to adhere to TMNP's request and also when we get closer to presenting and finding approval for a new trail network, help with any kind of financial support. Table Mountain National Park are looking for a world class facility and the mountain biking community are the conduit to getting what they, and ultimately WE want.

I need sleep, Myles, Mark, you guys still coughing?

The coughing went away fairly quick but that headache was special...

Myles, Deon, Mark, agreed and I hope you guys now get some rest.

Please see this as an invitation to come and ride in my backyard for a bit. That's Rhodes Memorial, around to Deer Park and up to the Kings Blockhouse. The views are great, it is safe and there is even a bit of nice technical single track. The change of scenery will do you all a world of good. Shout if you need a slow guided tour.

Now for a little bit of stirring: I hope Table Mountain Bikers and SANParks will see the temporary closure of Tokai as an incentive to try and get more trails approved on the front of the mountain, perhaps even a few new single tracks? It sure will take a lot of heat (yes, it's meant as a pun) off Tokai.

When the re-building starts, I'll be back with my rake and spade!

Edited by DJR

From http://www.sanparks.org/parks/table_mountain/

• Due to the fire in the Park, Upper Tokai and the Tokai Picnic site will be closed indefinitely to the public. This closure includes access to all the mountain biking tracks.
  • Silvermine East and West are closed due to the fire, until further notice. Table Mountain National Park needs to assess the damage and ensure the location is save for all users before the gates can be reopened.

I'm going to try persuade my friends to try the rides around Table Mountain and Devil's Peak.

Indefinitely???

Not surprised tbh. It was a minefield uo there. You have no idea when you're going to step into a sinkhole,aand the trees will be susceptible to spontaneous falling. I'm not kidding.

It's not cool, and the situation needs to be assessed properly

Not surprised tbh. It was a minefield uo there. You have no idea when you're going to step into a sinkhole,aand the trees will be susceptible to spontaneous falling. I'm not kidding.

It's not cool, and the situation needs to be assessed properly

Foresure, but from what is written above it sounds like Tokai will never be open for MTB again.. Surely can't be...??

Foresure, but from what is written above it sounds like Tokai will never be open for MTB again.. Surely can't be...??

No, it will be opened. "Indefinitely" just means that the time cannot be defined at the moment .It would have been better to say "until further notice"

It's not a sick human curiosity but honestly want to know for us up here how does it look , we have all seen the presses pics,,,is it really that bad :(

https://www.facebook.com/groups/165667216895023/

check that page out, Dips. 

As for Tokai itself - it looks almost clean. As if someone has taken a big ass broom to it and swept up ALL the under-brush and ground cover. It's just trees, ash and clay. Some bush has survived, and there are small saplings that just got dried out properly, but didn't get burnt to a crisp - preserved in flame. In places the fire swept through so quickly it didn't get a chance to burn anything but the bark, leaves and pine needles on the floor. 

Myles, Deon, Mark, agreed and I hope you guys now get some rest.

Please see this as an invitation to come and ride in my backyard for a bit. That's Rhodes Memorial, around to Deer Park and up to the Kings Blockhouse. The views are great, it is safe and there is even a bit of nice technical single track. The change of scenery will do you all a world of good. Shout if you need a slow guided tour.

Now for a little bit of stirring: I hope Table Mountain Bikers and SANParks will see the temporary closure of Tokai as an incentive to try and get more trails approved on the front of the mountain, perhaps even a few new single tracks? It sure will take a lot of heat (yes, it's meant as a pun) off Tokai.

When the re-building starts, I'll be back with my rake and spade!

Expect a call soon  :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/165667216895023/

check that page out, Dips. 

As for Tokai itself - it looks almost clean. As if someone has taken a big ass broom to it and swept up ALL the under-brush and ground cover. It's just trees, ash and clay. Some bush has survived, and there are small saplings that just got dried out properly, but didn't get burnt to a crisp - preserved in flame. In places the fire swept through so quickly it didn't get a chance to burn anything but the bark, leaves and pine needles on the floor. 

The link redirects to the facebook login page for those without accounts. :(