Are all MTB coaches equal?

I have finally made the leap and decided to structure my MTB training. All I need is a training program! - there are 1000's of programs available on the web - from Fittrack to STRAVA to Suunto to Garmin - everybody has a training program. But, what is the science behind them - how I know that this program is for me? Thus, next step - get a coach. This is not so easy either.

How do you know that a coach is worthwhile - what should I be looking for? Please don't bash anyone - I just want to know who is good and what should the credentials be of some-one to whom you pay fees as your MTB / Cycling coach

Find out who are the athletes contributing to a coaches payroll then check their results, this is by no means an indicator as the athlete could just be pure talent & the coach is just managing his training load, fatigue, when to taper & when to peak, etc. Trial an error i guess, but give the coach at least 2-3 seasons before giving him the boot if you did not achieve your desired results by then, chances are you would've noticed a huge improvement so much so that you wont change anyway.

I have finally made the leap and decided to structure my MTB training. All I need is a training program! - there are 1000's of programs available on the web - from Fittrack to STRAVA to Suunto to Garmin - everybody has a training program. But, what is the science behind them - how I know that this program is for me? Thus, next step - get a coach. This is not so easy either.

How do you know that a coach is worthwhile - what should I be looking for? Please don't bash anyone - I just want to know who is good and what should the credentials be of some-one to whom you pay fees as your MTB / Cycling coach

Wian.

What area are you in. If In the Cape I woukd recommend Erica Green. She was a Olympic cyclist and her job now is to be a coach. Google Daisy way cycling for more info. Both hwr and her husband also acts as support crew during the Epic for pro riders.

Program wise Trainingpeaks is probably in a legue of its own as far as it goes for online software. Great Data and allows easy feedback from coach. Team Sky uses it if im not mistaken. 

As far as coaches go all are equal except for Bruce Diesel who is the best. He has really helped my riding huge. Taking me from finishing 8th in national mtb races to sprinting for the win all in 8 months!!