2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

how about some tips on how we should stay in the bunch like positioning and turns in the front etc. i cant wait to do this, hope our plan comes together on race day im really excited

Ja, I've got some thoughts on that. Only thing is that we seem to be taking over this thread a bit. Might be a good idea to start a separate I-Team thread where we can chat about race technique, tactics, etc.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy, I'd be very happy for you to join us - I'd really like to meet you after all this time on the Hub and get a chance to ride with you for a day. Brilliant!

Great. Count me in then. It will be awesome to meet all the guys and race together. I love the race.

Does anyone here know if the racing U16 batch (+ batch) need to ride with blocked gears or are all gear accepted?

It is better to ride with blocked gears preferably the right cassette (for u/16 52x16 is the biggest gear you are allowed) if they check the gears before the start it's very important to have the right gears or else you might get dq'd but if they they check the gears at the finish they usually only check the top 5. But rather be safe and it makes for a bit of a fairer competition.

how about some tips on how we should stay in the bunch like positioning and turns in the front etc. i cant wait to do this, hope our plan comes together on race day im really excited

Next year we should start more group threads so other people can also organize other groups, I have always done this event solo, would be interesting to see how it goes in a group the whole way.

Next year we should start more group threads so other people can also organize other groups, I have always done this event solo, would be interesting to see how it goes in a group the whole way.

I am pretty sure there are many cyclists out there who are doing their thing solo and your idea will not only provide them with an opportunity to experience riding in a group, but to make new friends and possibly start training groups of their own. More groups=increased safety.

Ja, I've got some thoughts on that. Only thing is that we seem to be taking over this thread a bit. Might be a good idea to start a separate I-Team thread where we can chat about race technique, tactics, etc.

If you do start that tread, please post the link here so I can know where to go read about the tactics on the day....(I don't keep an eye on new threads that often)

I think race organisers are going to get concerned about their organising skills when they see I-batch not fitting into the pen....or racetec having the biggest batch timing ever 

If you do start that tread, please post the link here so I can know where to go read about the tactics on the day....(I don't keep an eye on new threads that often)

I think race organisers are going to get concerned about their organising skills when they see I-batch not fitting into the pen....or racetec having the biggest batch timing ever 

How's the shoulder doing, Hayley?

Does anyone here know if the racing U16 batch (+ batch) need to ride with blocked gears or are all gear accepted?

From http://www.cyclechallenge.co.za/TermsandConditions

6. Only cyclists with a valid Cycling South Africa (CSA) license and the required seeding index will be permitted to start in the Elite, U23, Junior, Juvenile (U16) categories for both ladies and men. Restricted gears apply for Juniors and Juveniles, as per CSA rules.

I'm in the same position with my son. He is 17 and last year he rode a 2:46, come this year when I received his seeding I saw he was placed with the racing juniors. I know about the rules etc. and then I contacted the race office about this. I was afraid that me might be DQ and will not be able to obtain an official result because he is not licensed rider. I have entered him in Open/Seeded.

The reply was that he will be fine in that batch and the restrictions will not apply.

I just hope that they do stick to their word and do not throw the book at him when he finishes.

I'm in the same position with my son. He is 17 and last year he rode a 2:46, come this year when I received his seeding I saw he was placed with the racing juniors. I know about the rules etc. and then I contacted the race office about this. I was afraid that me might be DQ and will not be able to obtain an official result because he is not licensed rider. I have entered him in Open/Seeded.

The reply was that he will be fine in that batch and the restrictions will not apply.

I just hope that they do stick to their word and do not throw the book at him when he finishes.

CSA rules: 1st five riders will roll in. Restriction WILL def apply. They probably don't have the resources to check all of them.

CSA rules: 1st five riders will roll in. Restriction WILL def apply. They probably don't have the resources to check all of them.

I presume you are talking about the gearing. I was also taking about the gearing, but I thing JJDT was talking about the license issue.

I presume you are talking about the gearing. I was also taking about the gearing, but I thing JJDT was talking about the license issue.

I see. He will need a Domestic Racing license, but only if he wishes to be considered for selection or colours. 

I know of some top Juniors who were seeded open and had to go through a process to be seeded with the racing Juniors....

Why they seeded him there makes no sense but it should be a good experience.

Domestic Racing License:

This category of license is for riders from the age of 17-years-old who wish to be eligible for provincial and national selection and respective colours award. The bearer of a full license is entitled to partake in national championships or series races and be seeded accordingly. Those of who race in the UCI categories (Junior, U23 and Elite) earn UCI points, which will assist them in being seeded at future UCI category events, world cups and championships.

The cost of a full racing license is an additional R350 per year, and can only be bought once you have CSA membership. The applicant has to be member of an affiliated club, as well as be a registered member of Cycling SA (Have an active CSA Membership). These can be done simultaneously on the CYCLING SA Member Management System. A license card will be issued and posted to you. (Please ensure that your postal address details are correct on your profile).

There are no Youth Racing Licenses. All riders over the age of 16 require a domestic racing license should they wish to compete in Nationals, UCI events or get National Colours. Youth riders (U16) are only required to become members and will receive all the benefits of a Domestic Racing License.

So if he does not podium, he should be fine  :eek:

For most races they check your license at the number collection.

So what is going to happen for the riders who entered "Open seeded" because they don't have licenses, but got put into a licensed racing group anyway?

Archived