2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 weeks today.

Next weekend I am gonna start training, I swear.   :wacko:

I think you got your timing wrong. You can relax for one more week.

Start the following weekend.

You then still have an entire week to carbo load.

I might be out of this line after my crash yesterday. Hurt my shoulder (not bone, but muscles and ligaments). So will have to see how this week go (pain wise). Might not be able to ride soon. 

Sorry to hear about the crash. Hope you heal up soon. Any damage to the bike?

The single most important tip to reaching your 94.7 time target

Here's a video for the folks going for targeted time, esp. everyone trying to get their elusive sub 3.

All the time I see riders who've spent tens of thousands of rands on aero bikes, aero wheels, and so on... and then they ride around all day all upright with chin up, chest out and elbows flapping in the wind. Madness!

Forget all that expensive bike technology - the single most important thing you can do to go faster is change your riding style. By just changing the way you ride your bike you can take literally minutes off your time.

If you're not used to spending long periods of time in an aero position, well you've got nearly 3 weeks to change that. Make a commitment to try do a whole ride either in the drops or with hands on the hoods but elbows at 90 degrees and your back low and flat (the best aero position). It's going to tire out your core, but you've got some time. All your training now must be in an aero position as much as possible. Even on the indoor trainer. Stay low! 

The only time it's acceptable to come out of the aero position is when you're climbing or when you're deep in a bunch. Even if you're in a single-file pace line, stay aero. You've got to get low and underneath the wind.

Here's a video from the GCN guys about the benefits of riding aero. From the time gains they managed to achieve you can work out how many minutes you'd save over a 3 hour race. It's massive.

There is a fantastic "training race" this weekend. Vortex is on 1 November (I think). You cannot have a better warm-up than this.

The single most important tip to reaching your 94.7 time target

Here's a video for the folks going for targeted time, esp. everyone trying to get their elusive sub 3.

All the time I see riders who've spent tens of thousands of rands on aero bikes, aero wheels, and so on... and then they ride around all day all upright with chin up, chest out and elbows flapping in the wind. Madness!

Forget all that expensive bike technology - the single most important thing you can do to go faster is change your riding style. By just changing the way you ride your bike you can take literally minutes off your time.

If you're not used to spending long periods of time in an aero position, well you've got nearly 3 weeks to change that. Make a commitment to try do a whole ride either in the drops or with hands on the hoods but elbows at 90 degrees and your back low and flat (the best aero position). It's going to tire out your core, but you've got some time. All your training now must be in an aero position as much as possible. Even on the indoor trainer. Stay low! 

The only time it's acceptable to come out of the aero position is when you're climbing or when you're deep in a bunch. Even if you're in a single-file pace line, stay aero. You've got to get low and underneath the wind.

Here's a video from the GCN guys about the benefits of riding aero. From the time gains they managed to achieve you can work out how many minutes you'd save over a 3 hour race. It's massive.

Thanks Tombeej.

So a free (at least 1kph) up for grabs due to aero position. Now I just have to work out how to get to n-1 kph! :whistling:

Mr. Paris Roubaix, the greatest Classics rider in history, Roger De Vlaeminck, showing the most aero position you can get on a bike. Hands on the hoods, elbows at 90 degrees (flat forearms), flat back, wrists and elbows turned in under the body. About as low as you can go. It's where the modern TT position came from.

post-22004-0-58906100-1445841249_thumb.jpg

Last post on the subject....

Another Belgian Classics legend showing us how it's done - image below. 

Also critical to cutting through the wind and going at the most efficient and highest speed possible is having an absolutely still and relaxed upper body. No wobbling, no 'pedaling squares'. All the power is going through the pedals and into the forward movement of the bike only. No wasted energy.

Tommeke is silky smooth. This is your benchmark. Watch his head (doesn't move a millimetre) and the white line on the road (bike is absolutely still - not a hint of a wobble).

post-22004-0-82261800-1445841658_thumb.gif

I will smile, wave and try to latch on to the "I" batch hub group. Starting in H. Looking for low 3 hour. Think I'm ok till cedar climb and further. I'll just fall off quick.

Tommeke is silky smooth. This is your benchmark... Watch his head (doesn't move a millimetre) and the white line on the road (bike is absolutely still - not a hint of a wobble).

Many years ago, I used to laugh smile at the guys in spinning classes (at then in recent times, the Watt bike)... the guys used to shake those bikes so much, if the class was another 10 minutes longer they'd physically pass me.

Many years ago, I used to laugh smile at the guys in spinning classes (at then in recent times, the Watt bike)... the guys used to shake those bikes so much, if the class was another 10 minutes longer they'd physically pass me.

You mean my crazy pseudo-line dancing style of riding a bike would make me a spinning god? A new career opens up........ 

Hi all

Do you need to enter for the twitter ride the day before 947 ?

Thanks

AFAIK it's just a show up, meet and greet and ride. No entry necessary.

Archived