Emperors Palace Classic 2015

Harryn

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking of coming up to use it as prep for Tour Durban. I'm assuming flat and fast?

To work out gearing needs, what would A and B batches typically race at? Anything I need to know about route profile, road surface conditions and road furniture?

I'm thinking of coming up to use it as prep for Tour Durban. I'm assuming flat and fast?

To work out gearing needs, what would A and B batches typically race at? Anything I need to know about route profile, road surface conditions and road furniture?

Yip, very fast and flat (don't expect a Field's Hill equivalent - there are no climbs). Road surface, in parts will be iffy ito potholes, but thats par for the course in Gauteng - but they are usually well marked with yellow paint.

There is one intersection about 2 or 3 km from the finish which is always hectic, and requires very stern marshalling, as the traffic gets really peeved at having to wait. I have actually been stopped there a couple of times in past years - though it was well handled last year.

It finishes on a false flat which can mess with you if you are bonked. Also, you need to watch out for short distance riders near the end, particularly on the sprint toward the finish - They weave like crazy.

Sorry, i don't know what A and B would do as I am not in that league. But would imagine they would average in excess of 35km/h.

Edit: come and do it - its an awesome race.

It is flat...very flat.

A and B would be just short of 40km.

In the first few km's there is a short climb and towards the end there is one more...nothing hectic. Guys do put the hammer down at around the 50km/60km mark. Road surface, not great, but as mentioned it is as expected in this wonderful province :)

Been off the bike for 9 weeks. ZERO riding, but start yesterday with a 30 min ride. Perhaps I can muster the fitness to join you??

Would be great if you join us.

I'm sure you've seen the mails about the ride - more to follow in the next week or two

After the Emperors Classic, races are very scarce - is this down to Winter or some other reason?

OT: Looking very forward to this race. It was my first road race and I for one will be keen to take another go at it!

My guess is winter which is dumb cause its not that cold up here.

I did the longer mtb was just two laps of the course. Doing a fast and long mtb this year and a slow road. Looking forward to it.

My guess is winter which is dumb cause its not that cold up here.

Agreed, there are very few races - the only one I have seen is Kremetart, but that's in Limpopo...4 hours drive. I guess it will be time to hang up the road bike and get on the MTB again!

Agreed, there are very few races - the only one I have seen is Kremetart, but that's in Limpopo...4 hours drive. I guess it will be time to hang up the road bike and get on the MTB again!

There should be one in June/July at the cradle. Can't remember the name tho

There's a crackerjack race after Emperors Classic - Tour of Durban, 26 April. Come people, get down here and join us for awesome warm weather riding as you watch the sun come up over the sea :).

There's a crackerjack race after Emperors Classic - Tour of Durban, 26 April. Come people, get down here and join us for awesome warm weather riding as you watch the sun come up over the sea :).

I am already entered and ready for Amashova in October...can't have too much of a good thing!  :thumbup:

Here's the 2014 route map attached. Is this years route the same, i.e. no changes for 2015?

Just want to check before I go through the schlep of plotting the route on Google Earth.

post-22004-0-30154300-1426140848_thumb.jpg

The section far right is not correct. The route goes straight through Sharon Park and left of Springs Golf Club (green bit on map) whereas the map shows right and left.

Route will probably remain the same.

Archived