Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

"Table Mountain National Park has been using mobile camera traps disguised as logs and rocks to monitor the return of animals to areas burnt in the March fires."

"hikers, mountain bikers, trail runners and dog walkers have been caught on film sneaking into the still sensitive areas"

http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/science/environment/wildlife-returns-to-silvermine-after-fire-1.1910942#.VeqYO_mqqko

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to ask: what was the 'analysed' impact of human activity (hiking, cycling etc) in this inevitable post-fire "re-naturing"?

I ask because typically disruptive human activity involves hunting, establishing of farms, deforestation etc. Human outdoor activities are, as a percentage, how much less disruptive than these higher impact activities?

I keep seeing the sanparks mouthpieces using the term "still sensitive". Sensitive to what is not exactly mentioned nor explained.

I have a whiff of what it implies, but I'm hoping the more actually_educated can enlighten me further, and explain why the hikers and bikers will prevent this natural and inevitable restoration?

Edited by Capricorn

I agree with you cap!

However sensitive is a word being used loosely and defensively.

If I have to guess, not much has been done in terms of research with regards to impact. Most likely 30 year old data from actual research has been used and this is the info being referred to. But hey thats just a guess!

I agree with you cap!

However sensitive is a word being used loosely and defensively.

If I have to guess, not much has been done in terms of research with regards to impact. Most likely 30 year old data from actual research has been used and this is the info being referred to. But hey thats just a guess!

given that hikers and bikers essentially co-exist with nature, unlike top of the foodchain disruptors like hunting and farming, i'm not sure the impact will be that huge. Native american indians, the Khoi etc, have all co-existed with nature in very sustainable ways, until large scale hunters got shipped in. hikers and bikers are not predators. The baboons certainly dont give a toss, and might be the only actual predators with a large impact on the flora and fauna on the mountain. But i'm ofc taking an uneducated stab at this rather large and complicated picture.

• 3 months later...