Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

..................and to get upset when a small amount of people show up for a build or an alien pulling event is not necessary.

Not upset, pinkie promise! ;)

The only point I wanted to make is this: Working with Tony Rebelo, the Friends of Tokai and the Honorary Rangers, will win us an ally and that is always good, much better than having them as enemies or indifferent to our cause (to get trails).  :)

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time, correct me if I am wrong but only people in the tokai area were invited. Was it the same this time?

Why hasnt the invite been put out to the town? announced on a radio station, some of them would willingly or at least a DJ would plug the need for volunteers.

Anyways, someone will eventually say, if you really interested in helping blah blah blah then you would make an effort to stay in touch etc.

I have signed up on the Tokai Mtb Web page a long time back to receive notifications. I have only received one email notice to date. 

The process is flawed some where along the lines, and to get upset when a small amount of people show up for a build or an alien pulling event is not necessary.

No-one is getting upset. I've been organising builds and other things for years, somedays we get 30 others 2..  I highly doubt a lack of enthusiasm around pulling aliens will make me cry.

I could be wrong but I'm sure you showed interest at one point on getting involved? I still replied and explained that the Friends of Tokai group could be the way in for people interested in helping and having a look. Your avatar makes me think it was you but maybe not.

Then on the issue of who is invited. Why does an open invitation need to be exclusive? That just does not make any sense. Sure, some people are looking for personal invitations but volunteering doesn't work that way. If you want to help, there are resources where people can find out how to get involved - It could even be the library notice board but we have progressed from those days, thankfully. How many of us still go to the library?

How the groups decides to advertised is really up to them. Facebook is easy and convenient and has quite a wide reach, wider than the hub it must be said. TokaiMTB is still happy to link articles back to the hub through twitter and fb. 

I could be wrong but I'm sure you showed interest at one point on getting involved? 

Yep, Riyadh has indeed been heavily interested, but health & travel / work & family have kept him away for the most part. I've promised that I'll keep him informed as to when work starts up again though. 

Yep, Riyadh has indeed been heavily interested, but health & travel / work & family have kept him away for the most part. I've promised that I'll keep him informed as to when work starts up again though. 

That will help, thanks. I totally understand that not everyone has the will or time to go to FB or twitter but we also have to choose what is the most effective tool for communication with the widest reach. 

That will help, thanks. I totally understand that not everyone has the will or time to go to FB or twitter but we also have to choose what is the most effective tool for communication with the widest reach. 

Remember, I was with you when the plan for more effective & far reaching media engagement was penned.... 

Any new news on whats going on? I heard that there was a plan to have access soon.

There was, but delays with cutting by the contractors have put us on the back foot for the moment. We have a plan B, which has been accepted by the other parties (horsies etc) and is just waiting for pen to be put to paper. Deon knows a shedload more than I about this, so I'll leave him to comment on the latest developments. 

A quick summary:

• We hoped for pine logging to be compete in March and Gums in July. This did not happen despite trying to keep the contractors to their word. Gums particularly are a problem as they block mountain bike access along approved routes. Level 5 access from Silvermine is also a risk as the trees on the higher slopes are dead and continue to fall.
  • I have presented a temp route to the horse riders and submitted a formal request seeking approval to circumvent the Gum through their area and await their word.
  • As part of the proposed early access, we as a mountain bike group need to indemnify SANParks against injury. This has been submitted through Amarider and we now await response from SANParks' legal team. The SANParks risk assessors have read through the document and are happy with the contents in principle. 

It is important to stress that TokaiMTB has had the support from SANParks Tokai management to explore all options from the start.

Edited by (Deon)

Ok so basically waiting on indemnity from Sanparks to open a temp route.

All the options we can influence and all the work we have control over is done. 

Just picked up the tail end of the treads, but Silvermine is open to riding. 

Did the loop yesterday and saw a few riders on the route.

Entry is R70 at the gate. 

They didn't stop me so i take it they are open for business.

Just picked up the tail end of the treads, but Silvermine is open to riding. 

Did the loop yesterday and saw a few riders on the route.

Entry is R70 at the gate. 

They didn't stop me so i take it they are open for business.

Yes it is.

You are supposed to go anti clockwise (ie from the dam you go towards the mast on the tar switchbacks)

some people don't seem to know that, or care.

You're also not supposed to go on the routes that have clear NO MTB signs on them. 

some people don't seem to know that, or care.

You can also start at the norrdhoek side of ou kaaps, and come up the ou wapad.

oh and you're DEFINITELY not allowed to ride on silvermine east...found this on a hiking trail the other day above the sunbird centre. chops.
post-1830-0-85591500-1462274736_thumb.jpg

Edited by by birdie

Seems my work is not done yet. Just got instruction from SANParks to start planning the preventative measures needed to keep riders out of the out-of-bounds areas. Sounds like a lot of work judging the pic above. :(

Will be meeting with various managers on Thursday morning..