Running...it sucks!! but......

L.T.G

I have been slowly building up my distance, and am proud to say I did my first 10km ever on Sunday and it felt great.  The last km was a bit tough, but I guess it can only get better from here on.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been slowly building up my distance, and am proud to say I did my first 10km ever on Sunday and it felt great. The last km was a bit tough, but I guess it can only get better from here on.

WITS 10km? Brutal ending!

Way to go Beesrib! Just keep at it, increase steadily and you're well away. Increase being both in distance and pace - don't go and try to sprint 10k's next weekend! Build everything up gradually.

Here is a nice indication of how to build up slowly. Wish i had it when i started out. Its a training program designed by Coach Lindsey Parry. He is the coach of Caroline Wostmann. The female winner of this years Two Oceans and Comrades.

HMTrainingProgramme.pdf

This is designed to take a novice to a half marathon in 24 weeks and if followed correctly injury free.

Way to go Beesrib! Just keep at it, increase steadily and you're well away. Increase being both in distance and pace - don't go and try to sprint 10k's next weekend! Build everything up gradually.

thx, will do my best!

• 2 months later...

Okay - about to dive back into the world of pain - sorry, running - after I received my Fenix 3 just this morning....

Slow start. Let's see how it goes. Got a Park Run tomorrow... 

Okay - about to dive back into the world of pain - sorry, running - after I received my Fenix 3 just this morning....

Slow start. Let's see how it goes. Got a Park Run tomorrow... 

Park run is a gateway drug.....

Awesome. That's just what I wanted to hear. Taking the doge along as well. He's gotten a bit fat. Like me.

Stop feeding him carbs!

This running thing grows on you. Not quickly, but very sneakily.

Stop feeding him carbs!

This running thing grows on you. Not quickly, but very sneakily.

Yeah. Weening him off pellets on to a protein only diet. Pets mince and bones etc. 

Awesome on the growing on me thing. I need it, and going for  aquick run is far more beneficial than a quick cycle... Far more intense.

Awesome on the growing on me thing. I need it, and going for  aquick run is far more beneficial than a quick cycle... Far more intense.

Exactly how and why I started running. It's been a bit more than a year now and... this month I put more k's on my running shoes than my bike for the first time ever.  :ph34r: (Not a permanent thing, just have one specific race to train for and do... )

Key in my running has always been fast shorter runs, like 5/8k and then do slowww longer runs like 10/20k. Over time the slow runs became easier and faster because I was building so much strength on the shorts. And ... look for the hills don't dodge them. Hills are a thing of pain but nothing works as easy as just running them.

Favourite undulating 10K is Table Mountain Drive past the Cable Station. NIcee

I would put good money on it that you took your cycling fitness through to running and went too far too soon.

baby steps, its the right way to get into it.

100 % Correct !

Park run is a gateway drug.....

Tell me about it, hated running before that and now I regularly runs half marathons and any trail runs in the area.

Archived