How dull...Epic prologue viewing.

Headshot

Yes.  Said chopper also cause Mennen's crash with that Duiker 2 years ago according to me. He spooked that deer, causing it to flee and wipe poor Mennen out.

I know we all want great pics from the air, but I think the pilot should give the racers some space.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.  Said chopper also cause Mennen's crash with that Duiker 2 years ago according to me. He spooked that deer, causing it to flee and wipe poor Mennen out.

I know we all want great pics from the air, but I think the pilot should give the racers some space.

They should get with the times and be using drones with an air dog. So you give the remote to the people you want to follow and the drone tracks the rider all the way along the course. It goes over trees when it needs to and does not have such a large impact.

Get with the times Epic, choppers are so 90's

So i wonder why the website said you can only watch at 2 places? was this an epic fail? :-) watched their short you tube clip of it. Beaut day for it in CT. We went and rode Nixon's bike park with the kids instead.

The TV coverage was rather underwhelming.

Commentary reminded me way too much of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BZTiRdcURuI#

Now why do I think the good Doc took that the wrong way? :)

But you are right - boring course from what we could see on the coverage pretty much - camera placements could have been a lot better to cover the interesting bits of the route (were there any?)

sorry doc, it was a bit boring on tv. i think the route choice was selected for many reasons....route quality probably not one of the main ones, way too much tar.

They should get with the times and be using drones with an air dog. So you give the remote to the people you want to follow and the drone tracks the rider all the way along the course. It goes over trees when it needs to and does not have such a large impact.

Get with the times Epic, choppers are so 90's

think this tech is sort of available, but not really proven yet from a safety point of view.

piloted drones is what they should be using for now

sorry doc, it was a bit boring on tv. i think the route choice was selected for many reasons....route quality probably not one of the main ones, way too much tar.

think this tech is sort of available, but not really proven yet from a safety point of view.

piloted drones is what they should be using for now

https://www.airdog.com/

Its already here and smashing it!!

Lol, then why does it say "pre order" and "kickstarter" on that website?

AKAIK, Drones are still grounded by the CAA. How would you feel if the batteries died along route and a drone+camera hit a cyclist. Just saying, thing need to be proven properly first.

AKAIK, Drones are still grounded by the CAA. How would you feel if the batteries died along route and a drone+camera hit a cyclist. Just saying, thing need to be proven properly first.

Probably not as bad as when a chopper sends a cyclist over or a wild animal t-boning a cyclist.

Now why do I think the good Doc took that the wrong way? :)

But you are right - boring course from what we could see on the coverage pretty much - camera placements could have been a lot better to cover the interesting bits of the route (were there any?)

the TV showed okes grinding along gravel roads which is the be all and end all of mountain biking in SA. Hardly any single track footage. #dirtroadiesrule

Was spectating at Dead Man's Tree yesterday.  Got there somewhat early and parked off in the shade.  Was awesome cheering everyone on and was great to see how the cheering helped some of the riders struggling to push harder up the last bit.  The pros just flew up that climb.  And we even got to see Kulhavy give Sauser a push :lol:

EDIT:  Those choppers were flying insanely close.  I definitely think I know when it blew one of the ladies over.  It came in really close and then turned out.  Was lots of mini dirt tornadoes for a while after that.

And the best part was actually the last pro team (can't remember the name offhand right now) pushing the bikes up the hill.  All the spectators cheered them on probably the loudest that they had the whole morning.  

Talk about dumb questions and statements by the SuperSport presenter Owen Hannie.

The interview with Sauser and Kulhavy by him was interesting:

Hannie to Kulhavy "So all is not lost after today's ride...still many kilometers to go"

Kulhavy "Ja, I think a long way to go" looking perplexed at the "question"

Hannie turns to Sauser, banging the same drum... "So all is not lost after today's ride..."

Suaser "No...Nothing is lost!!!" looking at Hannie incredulously as though he was an imbecile cub-reporter with no knowledge of cycling whatsoever.

Way to make your name totti with the riders Owen  :thumbup:

That was about 6 months ago, they started delivering a few months ago.

I highly doubt the helicopters flying that low is not allowed by the CAA.

Would rather have a drone coming down and hitting a rider than a massive helicopter.

I think the TV coverage was very poor for such a world class event. Camera work was terrible and the camera placements even worse. Must be the same guys that did the Argus.

They showed how the chopper nearly blew Songo-Info off the trail and giving them a very bad dust shower - not cool

Don't even want to comment on Owen Hannie's commentary

I know about airdog - it's going this way for sure.

But it doesn't do live tv coverage as there's no uplink. Has anyone actually used it for commercial sports yet, live or post production?

I know about airdog - it's going this way for sure.

But it doesn't do live tv coverage as there's no uplink. Has anyone actually used it for commercial sports yet, live or post production?

Not air dog but my mate does ask the red bull stuff. Like following base jumpers etc. That's broadcast quality, can lug around 8-10kg

Not air dog but my mate does ask the red bull stuff. Like following base jumpers etc. That's broadcast quality, can lug around 8-10kg

base jumping isn't live either. It's a good idea,seems obvious but i don't see anyone putting their balls on the line with a live feed they have no basic control over. Piloted drones with expert operators will come first.

I worked on what might have been one of the first non military uav projects in the country about ten years ago. CAA were not happy then over the concept and have done precious little in terms of legislation since

Archived