FTP - whats yours?

Jay_B

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

254w, 3.46 w/kg, after a month of riding post injury and an indifferent 2015 (2100km Jan - Nov) - This is as per threshold notification from Trainingpeaks

Avg TSS for last 3 weeks (Festive 500 chase): 972 (This is very debatable, numbers might not have been update correctly)

So a couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a stages power meter. My issue is that I cannot seem to find a road long enough with a steady enough gradient and no traffic lights to actually do an FTP test on. Do you just do it and assume in the real world you will have undulations, wind etc or adjust for terrain? Also not sure about this whole 20m -5% story. I'm not sure I could hold for an hour what I can do for 20m less 5%?

So a couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a stages power meter. My issue is that I cannot seem to find a road long enough with a steady enough gradient and no traffic lights to actually do an FTP test on. Do you just do it and assume in the real world you will have undulations, wind etc or adjust for terrain? Also not sure about this whole 20m -5% story. I'm not sure I could hold for an hour what I can do for 20m less 5%?

AFAIK the definition of FTP is not what you can hold for an hour, it's supposed to represent some physiological threshold, and how long you can ride at FTP differs from person to person (40-60mins?).

20m-5% is close enough. You aren't gonna test every week anyway, so it doesn't have to be exact!

I prefer CP/W'Bal (which has it's own issues) that I calculate off shorter intervals to exhaustion.

IP4 range is 0-255

FTP port is 21

...semanet

Edit: But then again majority of reported FTP is inflated :ph34r:

Unless you're Mr Robot.

post-9143-0-08794800-1452082281_thumb.jpg

1 of the reasons I have not purchased a Stages yet. I don't think I will get any beneficial use when on the road as I just don't have the roads in my area to allow me to do repeats of any sort.

I do have a Cycleops Fluid2 and train on that with virtual power which I quite enjoy.

I generally test on IDT but have found in a few races where the pace was high that i had a 20min block that correlated quite closely with my tested FTP... 

Finding a road for a 20min not easy, try do 2 x 8min tests then and take the average of the two intervals minus 10%

Edited by Jay_B

I generally test on IDT but have found in a few races where the pace was high that i had a 20min block that correlated quite closely with my tested FTP...

Finding a road for a 20min not easy, try do 2 x 8min tests then and take the average of the two intervals minus 10%

This^^

20mins IDT at home with your new power meter x0.95 or

2 X 8mins Max effort climbs on the road x0.9 or

Find a Virgin Active and just go pop on a Wattbike for 20mins x0.95

Just as long as you get your number! :)

Where there's a will there's a way ;)

Edited by Patchelicious

you guys are pushing big numbers... I am sitting on 211w - 2.3w/kg - last test done mid Dec.

eish, lotsa work to do this year if I wanna be able to do any sub 3 -100km races.

will test again end Jan.

Your FTP is a marker number - it measures potential.  Its still the only number you should compare to yourself not others, because its a number that should be increasing with structured training. (only compare yourself because your weight and phenotype determine your potential {Phenotype = TTer, Sprinter, Climber and so on})  Your structured training programme should allow for progression to allow for load and recovery phases so you are fresh to do a test again to actually see the increased FTP.  So don't see the number after 4 weeks as not being increased, all it means is you are not fresh enough to do the test and also not in the right phase of your training to allow your potential to come out in the test.  UCI standard test procedures are now overlooking a single FtP test protocol, and are now using a protocol that ramps up and down your power phases to see where your lactate and power thresholds lie, but more importantly to see where your actual strenghts lie.  Ie. a sprinters 5/10/30/60s wattage will read far higher than that of a sprinter, and a sprinters 30min wattage will outrank the sprinter.  Phenotyping is smarter, as you can then train to your strengths but also know your weakness!  Everyone should work to improve their weakness but knowing your potential limit in this weakness is important.

mine is 284 at 66.4kg but my threshold for 2 hours is 8% lower than that.   Meaning my FTP is low or my 2 hour power is high.  the only way to answer that question is to know what kind of training i am doing and what event.  Long Endurance stuff.  If i was doing XCO my FTP should be 15% higher maybe.  Its about relevance

Here we go in picture format  :whistling:

attachicon.gifIMG_3543.JPG

A nice workout to do for FTP is over unders - take for example a 10 minute interval block and break it up so that you do 1min @95% FTP and then 1min @ 105% FTP keep going up and down like that till you done 10 min total, rinse and repeat  :devil:

Quick question: In this table referring to the % drop (when to stop interval); at what % of FTP intervals are these

Quick question: In this table referring to the % drop (when to stop interval); at what % of FTP intervals are these

They are for all %FTP intervals, interval lengths will be relative to what zone you riding in. Generally i find they will apply more from zone 3 upwards.