Jay_B

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats just coincidence.

It is based on my personal tested FTP.

First and last portion of set is done at Core Strength Zone, which for me is between 340W-374W and middle section is done at Core Endurance Zone which for me is 265W - 330W.

So I try and do them in the middle of those zones, hence those numbers.

It has nothing to do with JVR's numbers....

:thumbup:

Well congratulations anyway...those are pretty impressive numbers

I got goose bumps reading about the T max intervals....think maybe i might give it a try

Surely all these numbers are meaningless unless you also take athlete weight into account? 

W/kg is the important number. No good pushing 400W when weighing 95kg.

Power weight RATIO is the essence indeed

That equation is what determines performance

E.g. Lauren ten Dam recently pushed 400 watts over 20 mins in a pre- season base training ride.....

However, he weighs 68 kgs, I think

Surely all these numbers are meaningless unless you also take athlete weight into account? 

W/kg is the important number. No good pushing 400W when weighing 95kg. 

400W at 95Kg... Hmm that would be pretty good :)

400W at 95Kg... Hmm that would be pretty good :)

You are right, that's an FTP of 4.2W/Kg which will put you at the pointy end of vets and with power like that on the flats..... Maybe even podiums ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I just did my first FTP test on my new Wahoo Kickr, using the Cycleops Virtual Training app. Is it just my imagination or does the trainer seem to try and hold you to your guesstimate FTP? I set mine fairly low as I had no idea where I am, and for the love of all that is holy, I couldnt get it to go more than 8W above that value. I ended up properly running out of juice towards the end and my power went way down. It really felt like the trainer was fighting me.

Going for a free ride directly after the cool down, I felt somewhat comfortable a good 40W more than my guesstimate FTP value, and that was after killing myself during the test.

My imagination only?

I just did my first FTP test on my new Wahoo Kickr, using the Cycleops Virtual Training app. Is it just my imagination or does the trainer seem to try and hold you to your guesstimate FTP? I set mine fairly low as I had no idea where I am, and for the love of all that is holy, I couldnt get it to go more than 8W above that value. I ended up properly running out of juice towards the end and my power went way down. It really felt like the trainer was fighting me.

Going for a free ride directly after the cool down, I felt somewhat comfortable a good 40W more than my guesstimate FTP value, and that was after killing myself during the test.

My imagination only?

The CVT FTP test uses your last or guestimate FTP setting, so if you set your FTP to 250 W it will hold you at that effort and no matter how hard you try increase or slow down it will deviate slightly for a few seconds but return to your set up FTP......  BUT you can manually adjust this while doing the FTP test, there should be a + and - button which you click on to adjust the watts up or down as you desire. In the settings menu you can (if i recall correctly) adjust how much each click will change the watts i.e. 1w or 5w per click

My first FTP test on CVT i had exactly the same issue

The CVT FTP test uses your last or guestimate FTP setting, so if you set your FTP to 250 W it will hold you at that effort and no matter how hard you try increase or slow down it will deviate slightly for a few seconds but return to your set up FTP...... BUT you can manually adjust this while doing the FTP test, there should be a + and - button which you click on to adjust the watts up or down as you desire. In the settings menu you can (if i recall correctly) adjust how much each click will change the watts i.e. 1w or 5w per click

My first FTP test on CVT i had exactly the same issue

Urgh. Really don't feel like doing that one again! Will try again next week. Thanks for the info!

The Android CVT app seems quite buggy. What else do you guys use?

Urgh. Really don't feel like doing that one again! Will try again next week. Thanks for the info!

The Android CVT app seems quite buggy. What else do you guys use?

Ja not something to look forward to in a rush

I'm using the desktop app on a windows laptop

I only use the cycleops FTP test for that career function once. For me the best is to set up your own FTP test in the workout section. To this according to a gradient setting. Works best for me

• 4 weeks later...

Did an FTP test yesterday on a wattbike, and I was shocked to see my results.

My FTP:Kg was 3.05w/Kg.

I was off the bike from The start of October untill mid-December.

So I've only been training for 2 weeks since. And I am at my all time heaviest at 77,5kg. My normal racing weight is about 72kg.

Is it possible to go from 3,05 to 4w/kg before the 23rd of Feb?

Update:

Did an FTP today my FTP/kg was 3.77w/kg

And net power output was 287w

Hoping to go to 4w/kg in the next 4 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of interest, have you guys ever checked how the test FTP value compares to your best 20 min. or 60 min. segment in an actual race or very hard training ride? Is it in line?

For example, if your 20 min. test is 200w you take 95% of that, thus your tested FTP is 190w (theoretical max. FTP for one hour). But in a race, around the time of the test, you could do a max. 20 min. of 220w, but for 60 min. the max. was only 170w.

I'm using the definition from http://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/204071934-How-to-Calculate-Threshold-Power-Heart-Rate-or-Pace which states " Functional Threshold Power (FTP): Your Functional Threshold Power is by definition the Normalized Power for an all out effort of 60 minutes.  However, you can get a fairly accurate estimate of your FTP by doing an all out effort of 20 minutes, then subtracting 5% from the average power value for that interval."

Out of interest, have you guys ever checked how the test FTP value compares to your best 20 min. or 60 min. segment in an actual race or very hard training ride? Is it in line?

For example, if your 20 min. test is 200w you take 95% of that, thus your tested FTP is 190w (theoretical max. FTP for one hour). But in a race, around the time of the test, you could do a max. 20 min. of 220w, but for 60 min. the max. was only 170w.

I'm using the definition from http://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/204071934-How-to-Calculate-Threshold-Power-Heart-Rate-or-Pace which states " Functional Threshold Power (FTP): Your Functional Threshold Power is by definition the Normalized Power for an all out effort of 60 minutes.  However, you can get a fairly accurate estimate of your FTP by doing an all out effort of 20 minutes, then subtracting 5% from the average power value for that interval."

Coaches will review data uploaded and identify best 8min and/or 20min efforts and adjust FTP, if necessary, provided effort was not done on gradient of more than 2%.