FTP - whats yours?

Jay_B

Its suppose to be brutal. You are suppose to dread your FTP ride...right up until 19:55min into the test when you know you have crushed it and you can mentally relax for 6 weeks.

My eyes usually sweat a little bit and you get comfortable with the taste of iron in your mouth around the 12 minute mark.

I've done 24hr races that have felt shorter than a 20 minute FTP test! Such a dark and lonely ride of pain and misery!

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something primal about a 20min FTP test. If you ignore numerical comparison, it is the great equalizer. Everyone is a ******* shell of a human afterwards. Beauty in brutality.

Will do mine again next week, Have been riding and training OKish for a few weeks so will see then how the numbers are affected.

That looks like

That looks like the Carmichael Field Test. I think the 20 min test is way more accurate

For the 2 previous weeks I did training session which was a total of 30 mins.3min X 10 sets which was 1 min at 390 watts and 2 mins at 280 watts. I then did a 20 min FTP test on past Monday and did 348 watts and even though it hurt it was sustainable

So in a nutshell.

Coach is a must?

Any recommendations in Cape Town?

No V02 test etc done to date, but based on current progression believe I have a small tiny little bit of natural talent.

Currently sitting mid 4wpkg( +-14% BF) , and achieved that just under 2 years by just riding bike, nothing really structured , but would like to see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Would doing a V02 test be recommended?

Coach is quite important. I did lots of self coaching last year, became a slave to the numbers and didn't notice over training symptoms until it was too late.

New coach uses a protocol that quite different to most books I've read, but I'm loving my bike at the moment and my latest FTP test result of 348 watts is just 4 watts off my FTP personal best (which was after months of solid training)

Coach is quite important. I did lots of self coaching last year, became a slave to the numbers and didn't notice over training symptoms until it was too late.

New coach uses a protocol that quite different to most books I've read, but I'm loving my bike at the moment and my latest FTP test result of 348 watts is just 4 watts off my FTP personal best (which was after months of solid training)

So who's your coach ????????

So who's your coach ????????

Demitri Mamacos. PM me if you'd like his details. He used to work at bridge cycles but he's on his own now

This question has probably been answered somewhere in this topic, but I'd like to know, do you guys use Zero or Non-zero power averages?

Have convinced a few club mates that a structured training plan CAN yield improvements.

This morning's FTP test midway through the strength training plan gave improvements from 5% (mine) up to 11-20% for the guys at the lower levels.

New motivation for them to maintain and improve further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did some lekka sweet spot training this week as I'm ramping up towards Spring

Felt good and really made me sleep deep

3 x 30 min @ 0.9 IF

Remember... Getting FTP result is one thing

Crying behind your sunnies as you force those pedals and training all the zones is another matter ????????

Edited by 'Dale

For the 2 previous weeks I did training session which was a total of 30 mins.3min X 10 sets which was 1 min at 390 watts and 2 mins at 280 watts. I then did a 20 min FTP test on past Monday and did 348 watts and even though it hurt it was sustainable

So your FTP is 330W then

Did some lekka sweet spot training this week as I'm ramping up towards Spring

Felt good and really made me sleep deep

3 x 30 min @ 0.9 IF

Remember... Getting FTP result is one thing

Crying behind your sunnies as you force those pedals and training all the zones is another matter ????????

90mins at IF of 0,9 in 1 ride sounds ****** sore!

#thekitchensink

When you analyze your power file after this workout, the first thing you should look for is your training stress score. Did you score over 280 TSS? If not, you didn’t go long enough. If you’re closer to the 300-320 TSS range, announce it on Facebook and I’ll “like” it.  In all seriousness, the goal is to create some big stress, so a solid TSS will confirm that.

The second thing to look at is your normalized power for the last 45 minutes. This will give you another confirmation of your endurance. If you were struggling way below your sweet spot and had nothing left, you know where you need to spend some more time. If you were solidly in your sweet spot, mission accomplished.

From Hunter Allen Power Blog

Monday's workout (a Hunter Allen training plan) is a bit of a "I can't wait for Tuesday" kind of workout. Only 80 minutes worth of effort, but...

• Warm up for 15-20 mins in Z2;
  • 3x 5 mins in Z4 followed by 5 mins easy pedalling before the next killer;
  • 6x 2 mins at 118% of FTP (Z6) with 4 minutes in between each interval.

It's not so much the workout that is intimidating, but rather the pre-workout comments:

• Set your power meter so you can see the average mode in "interval" mode.
  • This will allow you to also review each interval after it is completed, so you can have a goal for the next one, or when to stop.
  • STOP THE INTERVALS if your efforts fall below 118% of FTP.  <--- it's this bit that I'm not looking forward to.