Jonkershoek

FCH

Cape Nature reports that Jonkers is open to public again, not all that excited to go and see what is left; but at least its open

Cape nature sections will be open, forestry sections fall under Cape pine I thnk; they decide when the section entering their areas will open; plenty of trees burnt away near the roots and close to falling over. They will need to cut all this down before deeming it safe.

Good to see that Jonkers is not being treated like Chernobyl. I suspect it will be very much up and running again long before Tokai which is great but also profoundly disappointing...

I guess the firehut trail is of limits?

No point riding it even it wasn't off limits. All the wood in the jumps and trail supports have been burned away. Definitely very dangerous and no fun.

On Sunday the circle route and Firehut was open. While there is a lot of damage in the valley itself there are some areas on the left that seems to be undamaged and a lot of the trees on the left hand side that seems to have escaped the fire. It was not possible to go and check out the trails but is seems as if there is a good chance that some of them are still OK. At the moment the first green shoots are starting to show and even though it smells like a bonfire it will hopefully start recovering nicely after the first rains.

post-26202-0-66973300-1427186314_thumb.jpg

post-26202-0-88057700-1427186327_thumb.jpg

post-26202-0-60196500-1427186336_thumb.jpg

post-26202-0-93708200-1427186345_thumb.jpg

post-26202-0-81441000-1427186354_thumb.jpg

Ya. It definitely is better than nothing. Just listen to the gate keeper when he tells you where you may or may not ride. He skelled me out properly when I kinda rode one contour up on the left side..

On Sunday the circle route and Firehut was open. While there is a lot of damage in the valley itself there are some areas on the left that seems to be undamaged and a lot of the trees on the left hand side that seems to have escaped the fire. It was not possible to go and check out the trails but is seems as if there is a good chance that some of them are still OK. At the moment the first green shoots are starting to show and even though it smells like a bonfire it will hopefully start recovering nicely after the first rains.

attachicon.gifGopr0287.jpg

attachicon.gifGopr0289.jpg

attachicon.gifGopr0325.jpg

attachicon.gifGopr0353.jpg

attachicon.gifGopr0356.jpg

Thanks Clement - looks every bit as bad if not worse than Tokai.

Went to pick up my annual card today (which I took out on the day the fire started ????)

These are the allowable cycle areas. The wooded areas are obviously all off limits for now.

post-58702-0-19994100-1427468952_thumb.jpg