New mountain bike

Then you should work on your fitness and strength.

If you guys want to see long travel bikes being ridden up hills like normal marathon bikes you guys should come join an enduro ride soon. Many of the okes and ladies that rode this past weekend was on long travel bikes and they for sure pedal those machines up and down hill as if they are flying low....no slogging at all. Maybe they are just fit and strong.

Sorry to burst your bubble Hayley but the Enduro races over in SA are typical X-country routes here.

Seen guys in SA doing enduro on 100-120mm bikes and that's not going to happen here.

Once you go with a bike over 140mm then the geometry changes totally towards more relaxed angles for downhill speeds and not climbing efficiency.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the OP, Santa Cruz again in my view... and if you want to spice/change things up a bit, steal Dipsy's idea and put a Lefty on it  :wub: 

Else, if that Momsen is floating your boat, it is better value for money  :thumbup:

Then you should work on your fitness and strength.

If you guys want to see long travel bikes being ridden up hills like normal marathon bikes you guys should come join an enduro ride soon. Many of the okes and ladies that rode this past weekend was on long travel bikes and they for sure pedal those machines up and down hill as if they are flying low....no slogging at all. Maybe they are just fit and strong.

Right. Because Enduro is the answer to every mountain biking question. 

My strength and fitness is fine, however, I'm not going to punish myself on the climbs for a bit more enjoyment on the downhills. Climbs last much longer than the descents.

Sorry to burst your bubble Hayley but the Enduro races over in SA are typical X-country routes here.

Seen guys in SA doing enduro on 100-120mm bikes and that's not going to happen here.

Once you go with a bike over 140mm then the geometry changes totally towards more relaxed angles for downhill speeds and not climbing efficiency.

Exactly. We Saffas simply don't have the terrain that the US and Europe have and consequently a lot of the riding across the pond is significantly more technical than in SA.

Bring a batch of quality XC riders from Europe and they will wipe the floor with our best Enduro and DH riders (barring Greg Minnaar, of course).

No bubble to burst, but thanks for confirming that the longer travel bikes (well the people that ride them) can get up the same hills than the peeps with their XC bikes (by you stating the courses are very xc friendly) :)

For if you all didnt know an interesting fact...a guy with a DH bike (not SA's best DH rider) beat the best male XC rider in SA on an Gauteng enduro race (and the trails were very ridable - no big stuff)...ummmm

Relax all...I have had a long time just doing work work the last few months and I just took a few minutes not to come make a point about anything really, I just wanted to mention the links to 2 bikes I really like which most riders dont even know the brand name of. (Call it a little advertising if you want to.)

I know most of you folk don't want to/can't pedal a 14+kg bike up a hill, all I say is that it is possible and deffo worth it when riding drops and taking jumps on the way down (when many okes with 80mm-100mm just stand and watch).

@Andrew, if I was to do Joberg2c I would do it on my AM bike for sure (even with flats). I really want to do that event, I just cant justify paying that for the entry. I rather choose to go overseas.

No bubble to burst, but thanks for confirming that the longer travel bikes (well the people that ride them) can get up the same hills than the peeps with their XC bikes (by you stating the courses are very xc friendly) :)

For if you all didnt know an interesting fact...a guy with a DH bike (not SA's best DH rider) beat the best male XC rider in SA on an Gauteng enduro race (and the trails were very ridable - no big stuff)...ummmm

Relax all...I have had a long time just doing work work the last few months and I just took a few minutes not to come make a point about anything really, I just wanted to mention the links to 2 bikes I really like which most riders dont even know the brand name of. (Call it a little advertising if you want to.)

I know most of you folk don't want to/can't pedal a 14+kg bike up a hill, all I say is that it is possible and deffo worth it when riding drops and taking jumps on the way down (when many okes with 80mm-100mm just stand and watch).

@Andrew, if I was to do Joberg2c I would do it on my AM bike for sure (even with flats). I really want to do that event, I just cant justify paying that for the entry. I rather choose to go overseas.

Hi Hayley, funny you should mention that to ANDREW as he needs a partner for joberg2c ;)

Hi Hayley, funny you should mention that to ANDREW as he needs a partner for joberg2c ;)

Just imagine the sleeping arrangements.  :eek:

She will be safe. Andy likes the lads more

Is that why he is sharing a camper/apartment with Dips @ joberg2c?

Exactly. We Saffas simply don't have the terrain that the US and Europe have and consequently a lot of the riding across the pond is significantly more technical than in SA.

Bring a batch of quality XC riders from Europe and they will wipe the floor with our best Enduro and DH riders (barring Greg Minnaar, of course).

Karkloof enduro second place: jedson tooms on his hardtail xc bike.

Guest Travis.

Is that why he is sharing a camper/apartment with Dips @ joberg2c?

Interesting...

I'm already riding with a big girl  :thumbup:

Archived