2015 Coronation Double Century

Chris NewbyFraser

I don't think the problem is understanding the rules, maybe more the willingness to follow the rules, especially when nobody is enforcing them.

These problems aren't new, I guess we will have to wait for a few serious incidents until these issues will be taken seriously by organisers.

I asked a few teams if they knew the no drafting other teams and no bunching rules. None were aware. Those that were didn't give a F*&^.

Asking slower teams to keep left was met with all manner of cursing, sometimes from the women.

The event can use some improvement from a management perspective but the biggest change will be riders understanding the rules and following them. AS the case points out, "keep left" is open to interpretation depending on how much of a **** someone really wants to be at that moment in time.

Next t-shirt. Don't a be a d**s, keep left

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked a few teams if they knew the no drafting other teams and no bunching rules. None were aware. Those that were didn't give a F*&^.

Asking slower teams to keep left was met with all manner of cursing, sometimes from the women.

The event can use some improvement from a management perspective but the biggest change will be riders understanding the rules and following them. AS the case points out, "keep left" is open to interpretation depending on how much of a **** someone really wants to be at that moment in time.

Next t-shirt. Don't a be a d**s, keep left

This is a side topic that might need discussing.

Why do ladies feel that they can be rude in situation like this? It not generalizing, but I have found myself being told to eff off when asking ladies to move left etc in the same way that I ask all people. This is not a fight pick but a sincere question as I am not sure how to respond?

Edited by Patchelicious

Why do ladies feel that they can be rude in situation like this? It not generalizing, but I have found myself being told to eff off when asking ladies to move left eyc in the same why that I ask all people. This is not a fight pick but a sincere question as I am not sure how to respond?

Wait till Friday to ask....

Why do ladies feel that they can be rude in situation like this? It not generalizing, but I have found myself being told to eff off when asking ladies to move left eyc in the same why that I ask all people. This is not a fight pick but a sincere question as I am not sure how to respond?

There is a definite issue here.

I once suffered serious verbal abuse from a lady at the Sun City road race for the same reason

Why do ladies feel that they can be rude in situation like this? It not generalizing, but I have found myself being told to eff off when asking ladies to move left etc in the same way that I ask all people. This is not a fight pick but a sincere question as I am not sure how to respond?

Perhaps they deal with the pain cave differently to the guys. I remember volunteering at the Epic a few years back (before Woolies gave a sarmie packet out after the ride) where I was at Nutrition. The riders that bought the nutrition upgrade got their pre mixed recovery drink at the finish line, all nice and chilled. We would walkie talkie the race numbers through at about 500m to go so that the bottle was ready when they get to us. A lady on a ladies team finished up and came to the station all screaming and swearing for her f-k-ng drink. I had it in my hand and simply gave it to her and walked off (on day 5 even the volunteers' patience are running a little thin). She broke out in a sob and apologized with a "I'm sorry, I Just had the most awful day on the bike".

Perhaps they deal with the pain cave differently to the guys. I remember volunteering at the Epic a few years back (before Woolies gave a sarmie packet out after the ride) where I was at Nutrition. The riders that bought the nutrition upgrade got their pre mixed recovery drink at the finish line, all nice and chilled. We would walkie talkie the race numbers through at about 500m to go so that the bottle was ready when they get to us. A lady on a ladies team finished up and came to the station all screaming and swearing for her f-k-ng drink. I had it in my hand and simply gave it to her and walked off (on day 5 even the volunteers' patience are running a little thin). She broke out in a sob and apologized with a "I'm sorry, I Just had the most awful day on the bike".

I think that is a different situation than what I was referring too.

Done 2 DC's in 2012 we had all 4 seasons rain hail sunshine wind  in 2013 it was the worst race ever for me got sick the day before the race our team mate crashed in Tredouws me landed up in hospital after the race and our team mate pass away 2 days after Christmas because of his injuries So not good memories of DC but still it is a challenge one have to do before hanging up the bicycle

Done 2 DC's in 2012 we had all 4 seasons rain hail sunshine wind  in 2013 it was the worst race ever for me got sick the day before the race our team mate crashed in Tredouws me landed up in hospital after the race and our team mate pass away 2 days after Christmas because of his injuries So not good memories of DC but still it is a challenge one have to do before hanging up the bicycle

I remember that year and incident so vividly, was two or three teams behind. :(

Our team only rode together between the two service stops .We scattered into 3 smaller groups and finished almost an hour apart .Still the vibe was postive and we had a great afterparty at the Wipping tree .Our only goal was to finish unscathed 

I don't think the problem is understanding the rules, maybe more the willingness to follow the rules, especially when nobody is enforcing them.

These problems aren't new, I guess we will have to wait for a few serious incidents until these issues will be taken seriously by organisers.

Couldn't agree more.!

Seems following rules doesn't come easy to cyclists. :eek:

Only question is when is an incident serious enough.?

I remeber fatalilties arising from incidents at previous events - surely that must be serious enough.?

some very nice ride reports chaps!

what team was the slowest ? I would like to put in an application for next year :)

The Turtles - 9:57... They did cross all 12 together. Must have been gees!

Edited by Patchelicious

There were some close calls. I think it was one of the microsoft teams who played chicken with an articulated truck travelling at 80km/hr in the opposite direction. I just closed my eyes....

descending Tradouws Pass and catching a team of MTBer's who thought they were re-enacting the Malaysian MotoGP- using the whole road, sweeping across the lines of much faster moving road bikes and thinking they were having fun. One guy joking asked if their team name was "great Black sharks" (they were a law firm team)...

While you have riders who behave in this manner safety and logistics will always be questioned.

But the change must start with the riders. I don't think South African Fun riders have seen enough gore and blood on the road for us to think about safety....

Witness a few accidents where cyclists get seriously injured or killed and it doesn't affect your behaviour in some profound way?...