Shimano DEORE XT 11 speed and 1x11 option unveiled

gummibear

So I'm running wide lightning rims on 1 x 10 slx crank with raceface ring setup. Will I be able to upgrade to 11 cassette (11-42) by only buying the new cassette and new shifter?

And i take it the current XT RD model will work on the 11 casette without issues?

You will need a cassette, RD and shifter to upgrade.

The 10 speed RD and 11 speed shifter will not be compatible as far as I understand.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need a cassette, RD and shifter to upgrade.

The 10 speed RD and 11 speed shifter will not be compatible as far as I understand.

And I take it an 11 speed chain?

So I'm running wide lightning rims on 1 x 10 slx crank with raceface ring setup. Will I be able to upgrade to 11 cassette (11-42) by only buying the new cassette and new shifter?

And i take it the current XT RD model will work on the 11 casette without issues?

You'll need the 11sp shifter, RD, Cass and chain, 10sp RD not compatible with 11sp shifter.

I wonder what 1x11 drivetrain was used to win the XCO world champs in 2014? Can you help with the answer, because my memory is not that good?

i am talking being innovative...follow one company and claim you being ahead of the game.

winning the XCO world champs got nothing to do with it.  :blink:

i am talking being innovative...follow one company and claim you being ahead of the game.

winning the XCO world champs got nothing to do with it. :blink:

You said that they only released 11 speed now, even though they have released 11 speed last year already. They are ahead of the game as far as electronic gear shifting goes, and their brakes have been performance/value leaders for quite some time. Sram might be ahead with their top of the range products, but when it comes to middle range components, Shimano is definitely a class leader.

They are definitely not "followers "as you claim.

So in which world class event should drivetrain manufacturers showcase their products, if XCO World Champs has nothing to do with it?

You said that they only released 11 speed now, even though they have released 11 speed last year already. They are ahead of the game as far as electronic gear shifting goes, and their brakes have been performance/value leaders for quite some time. Sram might be ahead with their top of the range products, but when it comes to middle range components, Shimano is definitely a class leader.

They are definitely not "followers "as you claim.

So in which world class event should drivetrain manufacturers showcase their products, if XCO World Champs has nothing to do with it?

personally I think they underestimated the level of support that SRAM would get for their 1x11 gruppo, even with the extra expense of the new freehub body. In the world of 1x11, they were left floundering with no real answer until now. But what they have now is a brilliant answer. No, it still doesn't have the same range as the SRAM 10-42 cassette, but having a look at it, which would you rather get? A 1x11 setup that bolts on to what you have atm, or one that necessitates a new driver body as well. 

For me, that's an easy answer.

Plus - the SRAM stuff with their new derailleur design (specifically for use witha single ring) is far above what Shimano offers atm. 

But - you're right. In the middle segment, Shimano are leaps and bounds ahead of SRAM at the moment if for no other reason than pricing. In that segment, SRAM has been lacking. But = no longer, with the advent of the GX range. All the benefits of the earlier 1x11 tech (new parallelogram etc) and at the same price point as the shimano stuff. 

'A 1x11 setup that bolts on to what you have atm, or one that necessitates a new driver body as well.'

Ah Captain well said, that would be the deal maker/breaker for me! Generally those damn driver things are only available for fensie wheels and I don't have any  :cursing:

yeah, indeed. Though when upgrade time comes, I'll still be using SRAM to do the shifting.

XT 11-42 cassette

GX RD

GX Shifter

existing X01 crank & ring. 

Yip - will be doing the same.

Nothing wrong in taking the best from both companies and combining it.

'A 1x11 setup that bolts on to what you have atm, or one that necessitates a new driver body as well.'

Ah Captain well said, that would be the deal maker/breaker for me! Generally those damn driver things are only available for fensie wheels and I don't have any  :cursing:

My wheelset has them available. But shipping is horrendous at GBP 100. 

Thanks, SAPO. Thanks. 

11-42? and now you can get a 44t for your XX1 cassette? 

Suntour Microdrive turns in its grave.

post-89-0-33395700-1429176998_thumb.jpg

Edited by rock