What is your Training & Race fuel???

*Flame suit on - here comes a shameless add*

Training - Singletrack Fuel - Training Fuel

Racing or long rides - Singletrack Fuel - Marathon Fuel

Recovery - Singletrack Fuel - Recovery Booster

All clean, healthy and natural - built by riders for riders.

Much more than just `carbs & electrolytes`

Feel free to contact me for more info.

Just ask yourself - whats REALLY in your bottle?

Well, I can vouch for this. The best of everything I used.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow no paleo athletes on here

just sugar sugar and some processed sugar with sugar :(

Don't you think there has to be a good reason for this???

oh then you gonna love my 2c

Water and coffee or coke on training / group rides. 

Monster and woolies doughnuts when its praaaaaaaap time

hehe, I was thinking the same thing. I started with Banting after the Argus and done all my training rides on water only in a fasted state. So far it was only short rides- 65-75 km at a relaxed pace.

From what I could gather is that you can do this on fat, but as soon as you start racing you do need that extra "fast" energy that carbs provide. Apparently your body can't metabolise fat fast enough when racing hard.

The plan is to start introduce "healthy" carbs (oats/ rye bread/ brown rice/ gluten free pasta)  in my diet again (not exceeding 100g/day) when I've reached my goal weight and use Singletrack Fuel in long/hard rides.

I would love to hear your view on this.

Edited by HBO

Water on short rides 40km and under.

For longer rides or races

Water with a Zero tablet in one bottle and plain water in another bottle.banana and something salty and a oats bar of some sort.I usualy drink a bit of coke or energy drink  at waterpoints further on the route if there are some.

My 2cents.(Road)

In the week Mon-Fri.  Only Water. 50km rides before work. After ride a Nesquick when driving to work.

Sat & Sun - +-100km rides   Oats for breakfast....One water and one energy drink, cheapest I can find all work the same for me. At the moment USN makes a tub for R80. last me a month.

Raceday....Oats. 500ml bottle of energy drink before race, if still hungry a protein bar or jungle bar. One water and one energy drink. 1 gel @ 80km. After race- pig out on anything.

Weekdays Nothing before and only have water , but rarely go more than two hours. Teaches your body to use fat as energy.

Races I will use Cytomax drink and a Oatsbar or Nougat afterwards.

Really long six hour ride will add 2 hot cross buns and some jelly tots.

On a road race will take one high Caffiene sachet about 30-40 min from end.

Cytomax around R400 for tub that last me 6-8 months so not bad pricewise.

• 2 weeks later...

I make my own energy drinks and gels. Just did the Panorama Tour. Quite a hard four days. Never had any energy issues.

When you buy energy drinks and gels you are paying ten times the going rate for stuff you have lying around in your kitchen.

Only supplement I use is a recovery drink and that's just for convenience but I will work out something for that shortly

Short Training - water and 1 or 2 bananas. Longer training - water 2 bananas and a handful of pitted dates (magic stuff).

Racing - water, 1 banana, 3 gels (shameful I know), 1 energy bar (the paleo bars are great) and pitted dates (pop one every 15minutes)

I learned from a hubber to keep the nutrition and hydration seperate. Works nogals. i drink less because I only drink now to hydrate, not to "eat". So no more water point stopping. Maybe one in the last 15km, then I go for coke and water mix for the last push.

I can't add much to the topic except this.

Try always pack an emergency bar/gel/whatever if riding where there is no chance of re-supply.  More than once I have been riding with just water (always 1,5 to 2l in Camelback), feeling good, go a bit further then after 3 to 4hrs - empty but still 1 to 2 hrs left!  Now it's scratch in the Camelback for discarded sweets, gel, rehydrate packets; anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Honey and bananas.  Fruit cake also great.

Powerade and water

Put honey in your water bottle or use EnerB honey sachets which are very convenient - one hand needed to open and consume

I like to mix future life and oats 50/50 for breakfast

- Bulletproof coffee when I wake up (No matter how early!)

- Water on training rides

- Water with salt in the bottle for shorter races (marathons...)

- Water with salt in the bottle, droewors or fatty biltong and mix of Macadamia nut butter and coconut oil (about 2:1) for longer stage racing stuff.

Water with electrolyte concentrate - training, racing, everyday.

If the ride is longer than 2 hours, I'll take a banana with. Longer than 3 hours without a place to refill bottles, then I'll take a second bottle with. Haven't bonked yet on any ride/race since I started the water only bottles in July last year.

• 1 month later...

Seems the best place to post this...

Im doing the Jock one day clasique for the first time and am curious as to what anybody who has done it before or has any suggestions as to how to plan my nutrition for the day.

This is my first time doing a race of this magnitude so have no previous experiences to call on. What do you suggest eating and/or drinking at the two stop over points in white river and sabie? 

I usually train with a bottle of water and a bottle of Cadence Carbofuel and then either a banana or a nougat bar. As it is i think i will only eat something proper at the lunch stop in Sabie but no ideas on what that will be?

Any suggestions please? I think nutrition on the day is going to play a huge role in getting through this race

*Flame suit on - here comes a shameless add*

Training - Singletrack Fuel - Training Fuel

Racing or long rides - Singletrack Fuel - Marathon Fuel

Recovery - Singletrack Fuel - Recovery Booster

All clean, healthy and natural - built by riders for riders.

Much more than just `carbs & electrolytes`

Feel free to contact me for more info.

Just ask yourself - whats REALLY in your bottle?

Really great products. I've been using this for almost three years and never looked back