• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit like Sagan in his "out of season" training video that Gen watches every day . . . .

Probably just not as cool as Sagz though! :whistling:

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

I was a bit like Sagan in his "out of season" training video that Gen watches every day . . . .

He he

No I have the following on rotation

GENT-WEVELGEM 2016

FLANDERS 2016

WC 2015

WC 2016

GP Quebec

And a few stages of tdf

2015 TOC

IN no particular order[emoji39]

Edited by Gen

The Estate Agent, Pilar Maria, who showed us the property that we ended up buying, shares an office with an architect (Pedro Miguel) who gives advice to people like us who buy properties that need either restoration work (as in the case of someone buying an old house in an abandoned village) or, as in our case (with it being a barn conversion) - a major design change.

When we first saw the property with Pilar Maria it was a Tuesday morning in June 2015. I fell in love with it when I saw it and so she arranged a meeting for us with Pedro Miguel for the next morning so that we could discuss what was possible "design wise" with the property. Wendy and I went back again to the property on our own that evening to have another look at the property "before tomorrows meeting" and we actually decided that it was too bigger project - too much work -  and that there were too many obstacles in getting it turned into something we could live in and use for the B&B business that we wanted to start.

The next morning we met with Pedro Miguel and we went through our long list of reasons why we should not buy and renovate the property. One by one PM was able to reassure us and dismiss our problems with sensible answers - not as someone who was desperate to "push a sale through" but as someone who really wanted to help us get to where we wanted to go.

This week we have had what was probably our last meeting with PM before the building work finally starts after Christmas.

As well as producing a full set of around 30 construction drawings/plans for the property and a 138 page "Execution of  Project" document that covers literally every aspect of the project - from the exact details of the very first old existing wall that needs knocking down to the quality specification of the final coat of paint in the kitchen, and everything in between - PM has assisted us with a myriad of other things . . . 

He and Pilar Maria helped us find somewhere to store our furniture before it arrived. When the furniture truck arrived he was there to help us negotiate with the driver to take our belongings to a different location than the one on the shipping contract and then he helped us unload the truck and store our stuff. He has acted as translator for us dozens of times - when we've had difficult meetings with neighbours to sort out various issues that have come up and for things totally unrelated with our project. He has checked and translated official documents for us, he came to the bank with us and he came to the council with us to help push our planning application through. He has been the "calm person" standing with two quite often not very calm people (even more so as time plodded on and we seemed to be getting nowhere!) and he has managed to slowly but steadily get us to where we are now.

It's easy to forget how much help someone has given you - above and beyond anything they were ever obliged to give you, but I was reminded of it this week at our final "pre-build meeting" when an IT chap came into the office to sort out a computer problem and PM introduced us as "my friends, Tony & Andrea".

:-)

post-4874-0-66807600-1481935774_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-03165200-1481935784_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-81975900-1481935789_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-31977800-1481935799_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-85404300-1481935834_thumb.jpg

The Estate Agent, Pilar Maria, who showed us the property that we ended up buying, shares an office with an architect (Pedro Miguel) who gives advice to people like us who buy properties that need either restoration work (as in the case of someone buying an old house in an abandoned village) or, as in our case (with it being a barn conversion) - a major design change.

When we first saw the property with Pilar Maria it was a Tuesday morning in June 2015. I fell in love with it when I saw it and so she arranged a meeting for us with Pedro Miguel for the next morning so that we could discuss what was possible "design wise" with the property. Wendy and I went back again to the property on our own that evening to have another look at the property "before tomorrows meeting" and we actually decided that it was too bigger project - too much work - and that there were too many obstacles in getting it turned into something we could live in and use for the B&B business that we wanted to start.

The next morning we met with Pedro Miguel and we went through our long list of reasons why we should not buy and renovate the property. One by one PM was able to reassure us and dismiss our problems with sensible answers - not as someone who was desperate to "push a sale through" but as someone who really wanted to help us get to where we wanted to go.

This week we have had what was probably our last meeting with PM before the building work finally starts after Christmas.

As well as producing a full set of around 30 construction drawings/plans for the property and a 138 page "Execution of Project" document that covers literally every aspect of the project - from the exact details of the very first old existing wall that needs knocking down to the quality specification of the final coat of paint in the kitchen, and everything in between - PM has assisted us with a myriad of other things . . .

He and Pilar Maria helped us find somewhere to store our furniture before it arrived. When the furniture truck arrived he was there to help us negotiate with the driver to take our belongings to a different location than the one on the shipping contract and then he helped us unload the truck and store our stuff. He has acted as translator for us dozens of times - when we've had difficult meetings with neighbours to sort out various issues that have come up and for things totally unrelated with our project. He has checked and translated official documents for us, he came to the bank with us and he came to the council with us to help push our planning application through. He has been the "calm person" standing with two quite often not very calm people (even more so as time plodded on and we seemed to be getting nowhere!) and he has managed to slowly but steadily get us to where we are now.

It's easy to forget how much help someone has given you - above and beyond anything they were ever obliged to give you, but I was reminded of it this week at our final "pre-build meeting" when an IT chap came into the office to sort out a computer problem and PM introduced us as "my friends, Tony & Andrea".

It is amazing, even abroad and between individuals from different worlds, that something just clicks and gels into place and people just get along.

All the best with the renovations and construction.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It is amazing, even abroad and between individuals from different worlds, that something just clicks and gels into place and people just get along.

All the best with the renovations and construction.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It is nice. Pedro Miguel is a little older than us and he seems to have taken us under his wing a bit.

In a foreign country, with the ability to speak only basic Spanish and not knowing the twists and turns of dealing with local council etc, he has been a real asset to have on our team.

Edited by Bonus

When we first saw the property with Pilar Maria it was a Tuesday morning in June 2015. I fell in love with it when I saw it and so she arranged a meeting for us with Pedro Miguel for the next morning so that we could discuss what was possible "design wise" with the property. Wendy and I went back again to the property on our own that evening to have another look at the property "before tomorrows meeting" and we actually decided that it was too bigger project - too much work -  and that there were too many obstacles in getting it turned into something we could live in and use for the B&B business that we wanted to start.

As well as producing a full set of around 30 construction drawings/plans for the property and a 138 page "Execution of  Project" document that covers literally every aspect of the project - from the exact details of the very first old existing wall that needs knocking down to the quality specification of the final coat of paint in the kitchen, and everything in between - PM has assisted us with a myriad of other things . . . 

So, you have TWO PM's on the job? Sounds like you're in good hands. Good luck with your build. And remember, pics, or it didn't happen.  :clap:

Before things get too busy for everyone over the next few days . . . . .

Bonus & Wendy would like to wish everyone on the Hub a Merry Christmas and all the best for the coming year. May your own hopes, dreams & plans come true!

A big thanks to everyone who's followed us on our journey so far. Thanks to those who have encouraged us when things have got hard, who have made us laugh when things have gone wrong and those who have taken the mickey out of me when I've got too serious.

We are within a few days of signing a contract with a local builder who we like and who seems to understand us. His aim is (in his own words) "To build us the property exactly as we want it - otherwise why would you want to pay me?". He should start around the second week in January and be finished by the end of April.

If you factor in the chance of things slipping and/or going "a bit wrong" and delaying us - against the fact that I (and some days we both) will be on site everyday working, helping & assisting, monitoring and supervising the job - well then we should be finished well on time . . .      :-)

Best wishes to you all guys & girls. . . . .

Have a safe and happy break.

B&W

Edited by Bonus

Bonus & Wendy would like to wish everyone on the Hub a Merry Christmas and all the best for the coming year. May your own hopes, dreams & plans come true!

A big thanks to everyone who's followed us on our journey so far. Thanks to those who have encouraged us when things have got hard, who have made us laugh when things have gone wrong and those who have taken the mickey out of me when I've got too serious.

We are within a few days of signing a contract with a local builder who we like and who seems to understand us. His aim is (in his own words) "To build us the property exactly as we want it - otherwise why would you want to pay me?". He should start around the second week in January and be finished by the end of April.

If you factor in the chance of things slipping and/or going "a bit wrong" and delaying us - against the fact that I (and some days we both) will be on site everyday working, helping & assisting, monitoring and supervising the job - well then we should be finished well on time . . . :-)

B&W

https://vimeo.com/196876396 Here's to a wonderful Christmas holiday and a tremendously blessed New Year to you and W, B. You guys are an inspiring all of us with your journey!

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

If you factor in the chance of things slipping and/or going "a bit wrong" and delaying us - against the fact that I (and some days we both) will be on site everyday working, helping & assisting, monitoring and supervising the job - well then we should be finished well on time . . . :-)

B&W

And a very very happy and prosperous new year to the two of you.

Here's wishing you guys a smooth few months..

Can't wait to see when the work has been completed.

EXCITING TIMES.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first Christmas in Spain . . . .

It's been nice. We've been well looked after (and very well FED) by our neighbours, the families of our neighbours and by the British couple who live in a town 60km away but have a weekend place in our village.

Christmas and New Year have been pretty much as I expected they would be, because I've had many years of Christmases in the UK - but for Wendy it's been very different. She's used to Summer at Christmas! This Winter weather is killing her and she's a long way from family. Face-Time has helped us keep in touch though :-)

We had supper on Christmas Eve in a nearby town with family of neighbours. The meal started at 9pm and finished at 2am. Some of the other guests arrived just after midnight!

Christmas day was a huge meal with Ramon & Rosa and some of their friends. Many varied courses and much wine!

Boxing day with the British couple and they did a traditional Christmas roast. Very nice.

New Years Eve was quiet and then on New Years Day we were invited to our local church up on the hill for the "blessing of the New Year". It was all in Spanish and the church is Catholic - but I think I got the gist of it . . . .

Happy New Year to everyone. I hope 2017 is a good one for you all.

Remember, wishing your dreams would come true is a plan, but making them come true is a better plan.

Bonus & Wendy

Edited by Bonus

Last night we had a meeting with a heating engineer to discuss the finer points of our proposed hot water & heating system.

I've never lived in a house with seven different thermostat controlled "Zones" before. Closest I ever came was  probably "Upstairs and Downstairs" . . . .