• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had the pleasure of meeting some FB friends who've been following our story from the Isle of Skye in Scotland when they visited the area a few weeks ago 1f642.png

Mark had contacted me initially via FB some time ago when he was thinking of buying some land over here and we've been chatting on and off ever since. Was nice to finally meet him in person, along with his partner Adele and his daughter Abi.

They came to Spain in a custom made camper van and spent some of their trip camping in and around Ainsa.

While they were here we all climbed the Peña Montañesa together, which I posted about a little while ago, and we did a few rides together. They also spent a day helping us pick olives with Ramon and Rosa and a day helping me with my "Garden wall building".

Was really nice to be able to just speak English for a while!

I think we can safely say that Winter is here!

Beautiful clear skies and warm enough during the day when you're in the sunshine, but cold in the shade and temps dropping to below freezing overnight.

No wind or rain so far . . . 1f642.png

I think we can safely say that Winter is here!

Beautiful clear skies and warm enough during the day when you're in the sunshine, but cold in the shade and temps dropping to below freezing overnight.

No wind or rain so far . . . 1f642.png

Now that is what I miss about European winters...............a white Christmas !

Now that is what I miss about European winters...............a white Christmas !

Could well happen. Let's see . . . .

First thing yesterday morning we had snow in Guaso! It settled but didn't last long - but it put us in the mood for a drive up into the mountains to test out our 4WD and just enjoy a sunny Pirenean winter 1f642.png

Still amazed by the beauty of the mountains that are only 35 mins drive from Ainsa.

post-4874-0-99285800-1512212836_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-40679700-1512212855_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-03452500-1512212882_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-73599300-1512212910_thumb.jpg

Last year I remember working outside and managing to wear shorts until a week before Christmas. I was very happy about that because, compared to when I'd lived in the UK, winter here seemed pretty manageable.

This year however, I folded early, much to my disappointment. I assumed it was because the apartment we were in last winter was warmer than the farm house we're in this year, which allowed me to start the day "warm" before leaving to come to Guaso in the car to work in the sunshine . . .

Talking to the locals though, it seems that November and December so far this year have been much colder than in previous years - so last year actually was "warmer until later". Equally, June this year was much hotter than it has been in previous years.

Let's hope the trends return to normal next year!

The first two walls holding up the bottom terrace are finished 1f642.png

We had some help at the start from Ben & Corina (from the next village) and in the middle from  Mark & Adele (from the Isle of Skye!)

Before and After Pics . . . . .

post-4874-0-69058500-1512911914_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-60579700-1512911943_thumb.jpg

Last year I remember working outside and managing to wear shorts until a week before Christmas. I was very happy about that because, compared to when I'd lived in the UK, winter here seemed pretty manageable.

This year however, I folded early, much to my disappointment. I assumed it was because the apartment we were in last winter was warmer than the farm house we're in this year, which allowed me to start the day "warm" before leaving to come to Guaso in the car to work in the sunshine . . .

Talking to the locals though, it seems that November and December so far this year have been much colder than in previous years - so last year actually was "warmer until later". Equally, June this year was much hotter than it has been in previous years.

Let's hope the trends return to normal next year!

This November and December have been positively mild in Ireland... Been in shorts even last weekend

Some more "work" photos . . .

Wendy clearing away the undergrowth for the next stage of the retaining wall. It's longer than it looks!

And me - you need a big spirit level for a big wall :-)

post-4874-0-35983300-1512993184_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-81098600-1512993214_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-04317900-1512993253_thumb.jpg

Although it was sunny and warm yesterday, "Storm Ana" gave us heavy rain for the last 36 hrs days - and in winter when it rains down here - it snows up there!

The first snows on our own local Pena Montañesa  . . . .  we won't be going back up there again until Spring now :-)

post-4874-0-99593000-1513153965_thumb.jpg

Last Spanish lesson this afternoon until after Christmas.

We go every Monday at 5pm for 2 hrs. It's free, provided by the local council and the classes are very small - no more than 7 people per teacher.

In our class we have a couple from Australia, a girl from Brazil, a woman from Holland and a chap from Ireland. Spanish with an Irish or Australian accent sounds very funny - but they probably think the same about our accent. The teacher speaks no English. She's the Mayoress of a local town and she enjoys teaching us - which makes it nice :-)

Edited by Bonus