Muscle Stiffness

What do you guys do to prevent, or lessen muscle stiffness after training. I usually don't get that stiff after I ride my bike, but when I go for a nice long run I can barely walk for 2/3 days. Any home remedies?

What do you guys do to prevent, or lessen muscle stiffness after training. I usually don't get that stiff after I ride my bike, but when I go for a nice long run I can barely walk for 2/3 days. Any home remedies?

stretching afterwards and stretching in general with a focus on the hip flexors.

After a hard ride when I can feel my muscles have worked hard,I either go for a dip in the pool before I shower or take a ice cold shower to relax the muscles and then disolve a Slow Mag tablet in water as a recovery drink.

A foam roller :thumbup:

What you should do:

#stretch lower back, hamstrings, glutes, quads, calves, hip flexors and extenders, illiopsias, etc.

#use foam roller

#pop anti-inflammatory if needed

#rest in severe cases

What do I do? None of the above!

????????????????????

Just a thought: How long is "a nice long run"? Perhaps you are running to far for your current running conditioning? You may have the cardiovascular fitness from cycling to cope with a long run, but your muscle and tendon conditioning might be lacking?

My 2c worth.

jumping into the pool as soon as I get home. Your muscles must still be warm from the exercise. 

Hell guys,

Winter is upon us. If I jumped into my pool at this time of the year, I think that I would die.

I think the stretching is a better option.

Have a great week

Sarge.

How old are you and how long have you been riding. I have an under active thyroid which leads to exactly these symptoms. You may have other things going on you dont know about.

Recovery drinks make a huge difference.

Massage

Arnica

Stretching etc all help.

Read about something called DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

Cataflam before bed

NOT medically advisable - not even close.

I have posted extensively on the subject - search.

At the risk of repeating myself (seeing as this has been asked before) here was my comment then ...

"Don't want to sound like an old woman with wet pants but ..... like Dips said as long as you are not going to hard to soon and building up gradually it should be expected to get DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)

Unless it's so sore that you can't walk or touch or something why would you need anything to make it feel better, surely it's part of getting fitter?

Generally IMHO if you are getting 'normal' stiffness it should anyway ease after the first few k's of the next ride.

On the other hand it may just be that I am old and grumpy and find this new search for some pill/cream/blow up device/altitude tent to reduce every little ache or pain of little use and just money making for some chemical producer/clever a$$ ..... maar nou ja."

Friend who is a GP advised hydration and a recovery meal with some protein content as soon as possible after finishing the ride. I.e. even before you travel home or shower....get off bike, wash hands, eat, drink then do the other stuff. Seems to work for me.

I also find I have less problems if I eat and drink more during a ride than what my thirst or hunger dictates.

If you are stiff for days after then maybe you need a medical check up just to be sure all is OK and then ramp up your training more gradually.

what works for me after long runs or very hard runs are a recovery drink and eating well must be protein, lots of slow no pressure applied stretching, and a nice easy spinning session on light gears the next day, works for me could work for you. good luck 

NOT medically advisable - not even close.

I have posted extensively on the subject - search.

Like V12man posted, Taking NSIADs after training is not medical advisable. Inflammation helps the body start with the recovery process.

The question was asked "what do you guys do" and not what is the Medical correct why.

Sorry if I gave someone the wrong advise.

Choc milk

Rest

Foam roller

Stretch

Recovery ride, easy spin 20-30 mins

More choc milk

Archived