Review: American Classic Wide Lightning wheelset

Iwan Kemp

I was disappointed in the Peyote . . .. did not last very long. 

Now run Vittora Barzo up front and Saguaro at the back. It is OK now. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys I have a question about these - I have no clue about wheelsets. I am currently running a set of those stock Roval Alu 29" on my Epic. I am curious to know how much of a difference a set of these American Classic's would make in comfort and performance? ie. Would it be worth the R7 on a new set?

Edited by Cookie88

I cannot comment on your current wheelset but I took a leap of faith on these based on my research - to put things in context the wheelset I had was the factory standard that came with the scott spark 910, a descent bike by humble accounts. I have ridden it like that for 2 years and decided I needed to change it up a bit and a wheelset upgrade was the best route.

So I bought these and went for my 1st test ride on the weekend - super smooth and comfortable, and seemed to roll faster if that makes sense - I did not try race but did ride hard to get a feel for them...strava seemed to indicate that there was some performance gains aswell in terms of time on segments (couple of pb's).

Are these worth the investment? - well on 1st assessment I would definitely say yes. should you spend more on a "better" set...well that's only something you can decide but in my books - the 8K I spent was well worth it and confirmed all the research I had done on these.

Comfort difference will be from running lower pressures, which is possible with these because of their width.

Performance, well they're lighter than most Alu rim combos (1569g), in fact I'm not sure if there are any other lighter combos in Alu? Perhaps Crest with Stans hubs, but that's still a narrow rim, the new wide rims are the future these days. Apparently lower rolling resistance on offroad/mtb with wider rims.

They are not the world's strongest, I have dented mine twice already, but they still function 100%. Need to get one trued again though.

• 9 months later...

Hey guys. Considering getting a set. My bike runs quick release front and rear. No thru axle. Will they be compatible?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hey guys. Considering getting a set. My bike runs quick release front and rear. No thru axle. Will they be compatible?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

There is a conversion set included in the pack, I started with a QR and later just got it converted to the thru axle