Review: American Classic Wide Lightning wheelset

Iwan Kemp

Can anyone recommend tyres that go well with these? I like the idea of the wide rims "upsizing" the tyre size to some effect without the obvious weight gains. 

I have also heard of some folks having issues fitting, removing UST tyres with the rims - any truth to that?

I've been running Conti X-King Protection (2.2) on the front and Race King Protection (2.2) on the back on my Wide Lightnings and I've been very happy with the combination of weight, grip and reliability. They've handled all types of terrain from S2c to VG with aplomb. Not sure what they'll be like in very muddy conditions so might swop out the front and/or back for Mountain Kings if traction becomes a problem in summer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had several tires on Wide Lightnings and didn't have any issues with any. On wider rims tires with a rounded profile works best. What tires are you currently riding or would you like to ride? Let me know then we work our way back from there.

I'm pretty much open to anything. Since posting I've actually pulled the trigger and have recieved my wheels - can't wait to get some rubber on them! I see the manual does make mention of not using UST tyres. 

I'm a bit confused - am I then looking for any "tubeless ready" tyre? What about folding bead tyres? Looking at anything around the 2.2-2.25 mark with durability in mind.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Are there any major updates to the 2016 WL when compared to the 2015 rims.

Not sure, about updates but if you are looking at new wheels then also consider the new stands rims which are a whole lot wider than they used to be. Coupled with some hope evo4's Im pretty sure I would do the stans over the AC WL's.

Not sure, about updates but if you are looking at new wheels then also consider the new stands rims which are a whole lot wider than they used to be. Coupled with some hope evo4's Im pretty sure I would do the stans over the AC WL's.

I am riding mainly XCM and XCO so not sure how wide to go. Thanks for the info though! Its seems every time I make my mind up something else pops into the mix making the decision a little more complex.

I am riding mainly XCM and XCO so not sure how wide to go. Thanks for the info though! Its seems every time I make my mind up something else pops into the mix making the decision a little more complex.

30mm should be sufficient. Wide lightning at 32mm will also transform xc tyres to something resembling grip

Wide lightning wheels are great if you intend to run a fairly wide tyre like a 2.25.

If you prefer a narrower and lighter tyre then they would be too wide, squaring the tyre off quite considerably and take it from me square Tyres don't grip so lekker.

The std AMC disc mtb 101 Rin would be sufficiently wide to improve the grip situation without te draw backs of a very wide rim.

Also bear in mind the wide lightning dings very easily. It really needs a 2.25 minimum and then you need to be selective as too which. Schwalbe Tyres alphabet high volume casings and work well for xc purposes on WL.

The new stans are designed to match a certain tyre width from what I see, so if you normally use a 2.0 then they recommend rim x if you run a 2.5 then they recommend rim z.

Im looking to upgrade wheels soon so I guess price will be a deciding factor between the new stans and the AC's

• 1 month later...

Still trying to figure  out how to adjust bearing tension ? . I have thru-axle front and quick release rear 

Still trying to figure  out how to adjust bearing tension ? . I have thru-axle front and quick release rear 

Same here, the rims were shipped with the correct config from Summit, he asked what config I wanted when I ordered.

On the AC website there are manuals explaining this . The one pic has a 5mm allen wrench inserted into the 9mm q/r drive side , then they talk about a knurled bit on the other side which you tension . I dont have that at all on my wheels ??

Edited by robsc

On the AC website there are manuals explaining this . The one pic has a 5mm allen wrench inserted into the 9mm q/r drive side , then they talk about a knurled bit on the other side which you tension . I dont have that at all on my wheels ??

Sorry thought you were talking about axle type issues.

The bearings on the rear wheel can be adjusted with the 2 nuts on the non drive side, for the inner one you will need a flat/thin spanner, and for the other nut a normal spanner. I adjust it while the wheel is in the frame and the quick released fastened like normal. Loosen the outer one, adjust the inner one until there's only a small bit of slack, and then tighten the outer one again.

The front one I'm not sure, have not adjusted it yet.

Edited by Kraggie

• 2 weeks later...

So just bought these and am happy - currently running Vittoria Saguaro 29 2.2 on the front and the Vittoria Peyote 2.1 on the back - any thoughts on this combination?