ZTR Crest Rims...disposable one day race wheels?

NielC

What a load of rubbish, those are probably the best bang for buck rims you can get. Buddies ride on Crest and I ride on Arch and neither of us have ever used better rims or needed to replace the current ones.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

101kg weight on crest rims built on hope hubs. Been riding them for 7 years now. Rims have gone from hardtail to full suspension. Trail riding and events. Stickers have gone but rims are still running true. All depends who built your wheels as well

The only thing disposable one day is his integrity... Please tell us the name of the bikeshop so we can be forewarned

Anything's disposable if you have enough money. Maybe ask him to sponsor you a few sets? :whistling:

I'm 90kg and I have a set of Podiums that I race with. They have a lower weight limits that the Crests and to date still true after almost 2 years. 

Ok, so, from your responses I've picked up that the wheel build is also quite important. I don't know who built the wheels (bought the bicycle second hand) but could find out who built them. I also do not know what kind of spokes were used but the hubs are SRAM hubs. Perhaps I should look at who built the wheelset, but it still won't make them disposable.

Ok, so, from your responses I've picked up that the wheel build is also quite important. I don't know who built the wheels (bought the bicycle second hand) but could find out who built them. I also do not know what kind of spokes were used but the hubs are SRAM hubs. Perhaps I should look at who built the wheelset, but it still won't make them disposable.

To double check your wheels...........nice place in Midrand.........SUMMIT CYCLES. The owner is a bit anal...............about wheels (otherwise a chilled out cyclist with a lot of experience)  :whistling:

The only thing disposable one day is his integrity... Please tell us the name of the bikeshop so we can be forewarned

Yes NielC, pls tell us ASAP!!!!

......but what do I know........with a set of Arch and weighing a 105kg........still running true.

Well, I run a set of these disposable Crests and have been for about two years now. I am a bit of a hooligan on my bike and the wheels spend as much time in the air as I can manage, after which time they come down to earth...sometimes quite heavily.

I've trued them twice. The second time was last week Thursday by Jason at the Trailhead.

I'm 102 kgs....

Well, I run a set of these disposable Crests and have been for about two years now. I am a bit of a hooligan on my bike and the wheels spend as much time in the air as I can manage, after which time they come down to earth...sometimes quite heavily.

I've trued them twice. The second time was last week Thursday by Jason at the Trailhead.

I'm 102 kgs....

.......but I lack skill.......just moer everything and into everything........no air time here........Buffalo tactics.

Hi fellow Hubbers,

So, I would like to have your thoughts and comments on this interesting issue as I'm a bit perplexed by this recent opinion that I've received on the ZTR Crest rims that I have on my MTB! I've very recently been told by someone, apparently in the know, that the ZTR Crest rims that I have on my MTB are actually made as 'disposable, one day race rims' and that I should rather purchase a different set of rims for my MTB. I was advised that I should get a set of rims that are more durable and which are not disposable. Strangely enough, the person that advised me had different rims at his bicycle shop that are, according to him, more durable and would be 'better suited' for me. I was also told that the ZTR Crest rims have a weight limit of 85kg.

To briefly explain my position in this picture - I do cross-country riding with my MTB, which is a hardtail, and I am well below the weight limit of 85kg as I weigh 74kg. I have, despite some research on the google-machine, never heard that ZTR Crest rims are designed to be disposable. I asked this person whether it would be correct to state that, if I've done a race, e.g a marathon, it would be advisable to dispose of the wheels after the race. I was advised that this is exactly what the ZTR Crests were designed for - race, dispose.

Just so you know, I have not bought the 'more durable' rims from the bicycle shop and will continue riding the 'disposable' ones for now. Until I can dispose of them, I will keep them :thumbup:

Your thoughts, questions and comments of these 'disposable race day rims' will be most welcome!

Ciao

Odd he thinks they are disposable.... Mine have done 2 epics and a j2c and 3 Sani's.... still good enough... :)

I weight 130kgs. ride on crests. Now I know that the limit is 85kgs, but I did not have the money to get stronger ones. I have ridden mine now for over a year, XC, enduro, single track etc, not one issue.

If you are building from scratch Crest and Flow rims cost the same.

.......but I lack skill.......just moer everything and into everything........no air time here........Buffalo tactics.

You and me both [emoji23] [emoji23]

Archived