Pyga Industries launches the Stage: a new carbon marathon bike with a twist

News bot

So right there, that is me out of this argument. No proof to back that.

Proof?

I live in PMB so does Pat, I regularly call in at Pyga HQ and get on well with the guys there.

I work in a shop that sells Spez bikes, I have ridden and raced an Epic.

I have also ridden the Pyga Stage and been present when a frame was weighed.

I have personally weighed the rims and complete wheels of both brands.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Proof?

I live in PMB so does Pat, I regularly call in at Pyga HQ and get on well with the guys there.

How is the Pyga stronger, perhaps that was the point JB tried to make?

Proof?

Good to know. No really, glad it is a alternative to the Epic.

Good to know. No really, glad it is a alternative to the Epic.

Just to put it out there. I was never arguing, I was asking how you came up with the equivalent Spez being a lot cheaper.

How is the Pyga stronger, perhaps that was the point JB tried to make?

To answer your question, more carbon used and a thicker layup. Pat is not one to skimp on carbon in order to chase weight, thus the heavier frame.

When you next at your LBS have a walk around and give some of the carbon frames a little squeeze and you might be very surprised at the difference between different frames.   

Edited by Spoke101

Just to put it out there. I was never arguing, I was asking how you came up with the equivalent Spez being a lot cheaper.

To answer your question, more carbon used and a thicker layup. Pat is not one to skimp on carbon in order to chase weight, thus the heavier frame.

When you next at your LBS have a walk around and give some of the carbon frames a little squeeze and you might be very surprised at the difference between different frames.   

Are they going to be offered as frame only options? A expert world cup Epic is R65k, x01, sid, carbon rims etc. So a little cheaper than the Pyga. Also a Expert Stumpjumper is R67 500, with xtr, Pike, brain and carbon rims. So also cheaper than the max. Also, the XO1 bikes are specced with x1 cranks and shifters, so not really full xo1. But hey, great looking machine. Cant wait to ride it.

Edited by Johny Bravo

Are they going to be offered as frame only options? A expert world cup Epic is R65k, x01, sid, carbon rims etc. So a little cheaper than the Pyga. Also a Expert Stumpjumper is R67 500, with xtr, Pike, brain and carbon rims. So also cheaper than the max. Also, the XO1 bikes are specced with x1 cranks and shifters, so not really full xo1. But hey, great looking machine. Cant wait to ride it.

Not sure on frames only.

Valid points, the cheaper Pyga's are 10k more but you have ignored the top of the range bikes where you are going to pay 35k more for the S-works Epic which might be 150-250g lighter.

Neither of the Expert frames are full carbon.

Frames aside there are plus factors for both sets of bikes.

I don't count a XTR rear derailleur as a "XTR" bike when it's got SRAM 1050 Cass & 1051 chain.

Both Spez bikes have non factory Fox suspention vs the better the Monarch XX & RT3 Rockshox, but have better shifters and carbon cranks.

The Guide brakes on the Pyga's are also a plus on the Magura's and XT's on the Spez's.

Good looking bike, awesome colours. The total price looks a bit crazy imo, but thats capitalism. The frameset price would be interesting. Time will tell if it is worth it.

Comparisons with Sworks,Scalpels etc. will have to wait till we at least know what the weight of the Pyga is.

Thumbs up for another solid local bike.

I dont get the idea with the wheelset, though. If those are generic rims from out East, and the set indeed costs R30k, there could be a large chunk of profit margin in there...

I wonder if the people that the point out the Pyga price point is super high realise that they are not part of the Pyga target market.

Pyga is a boutique brand, and they don't manufacture the same volume like some brands mentioned here. I reckon it is like comparing a Nissan GTR to a Pagani Huyra (spelling?) with the sports being the GTR and pyga the Pagani. The GTR is probably faster the Pagani on most tracks, and do more races, but the Pagani is more exotic.

Another boutique brand that I'll group with pyga is Swift.

I wonder if the people that the point out the Pyga price point is super high realise that they are not part of the Pyga target market.

Pyga is a boutique brand, and they don't manufacture the same volume like some brands mentioned here. I reckon it is like comparing a Nissan GTR to a Pagani Huyra (spelling?) with the sports being the GTR and pyga the Pagani. The GTR is probably faster the Pagani on most tracks, and do more races, but the Pagani is more exotic.

Swift a botique brand? Are you sober?

What is your definition of a boutique brand?

I'm not asking to correct you, nor to attack you, nor to sway you with my views. I'm genuinely interested to hear (read).

It's such a broad/ vague/ overused term these days....

Edited by Ryanpmb

What is your definition of a boutique brand?

I'm not asking to correct you, nor to attack you, nor to sway you with my views. I'm genuinely interested to hear (read).

It's such a broad/ vague/ overused term these days....

My definition of a boutique brand is a brand with a small range, that manufactures and sells in low volumes, and is almost always aimed at the premium end of the market. Usually with a higher price than the competitive - albeit more common- products in the market.

You will not see these bikes everywhere, though some areas with strong retail presence might have a high market penetration, eg Pyga in Pmb, Yeti in the Morningside area in Jozi.

Off the top of my head I will suggest the following as boutique brands:

Pyga, Swift, Ellsworth , Spot, Yeti, Turner, Evil, Ventana, Canfield, Moots and Lynskey.

Where the frames are manufactured and the bikes assembled is beside the point in my opinion, as some of the best (and worst) carbon frames are from Taiwan.

Dan is siverback ook seker ñ botique brand...

Nee.

Silverback bikes are manufactured in high volumes, have a wide range and compete in a lot of segments with many price points. Silverback might not sell on a wide international level, but the market penetration is huge here in SA (where Silverback started) and is growing in Europe as well. So that's why I discern between it and Swift when calling them boutique brands.

Both Silverback and Swift are manufactured in the East, but that is pretty much where the similarity ends.

My definition of a boutique brand is a brand with a small range, that manufactures and sells in low volumes, and is almost always aimed at the premium end of the market. Usually with a higher price than the competitive - albeit more common- products in the market.

You will not see these bikes everywhere, though some areas with strong retail presence might have a high market penetration, eg Pyga in Pmb, Yeti in the Morningside area in Jozi.

Off the top of my head I will suggest the following as boutique brands:

Pyga, Swift, Ellsworth , Spot, Yeti, Turner, Evil, Ventana, Canfield, Moots and Lynskey.

Where the frames are manufactured and the bikes assembled is beside the point in my opinion, as some of the best (and worst) carbon frames are from Taiwan.

Interesting points. Thanks.

I will suggest the following as boutique brands:

Several of the brands you mentioned make their frames themselves. I cant quite associate "boutique" and "made in Taiwan", of even worse, "made in China", with one another. Those Eastern countries are known for mass producing things cheaply. But that is just my take on it.

Regarding mass: I disagree with Spoke10, heavier <> stronger when it comes to carbon. With metal, it holds true, but for composites you could use a lot of low grade T300 fiber and get a heavier frame that is not as strong as the same frame made from high grade T1000 fiber, which could be lighter, too. The heavier frame could also have a higher %of resin, due to a lack of process control, which would also not make it stronger. In some cases with carbon composites, heavier implies lower quality.