Dodgy Buyer!

Brewster

Definitely a scam. Well done for realising it straight away. And thanks for the heads up.

100%.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Run if any of the below:

1.Foreign accent

2.Pastor somebody or the other

3."My son needs it by the end of today"

4.Deposit was too much

haha! Pastor. We get paid so little, a scam seems necessary.

Edited by Davedk

I'm a pastor!!!

Ok I figured out how to quote reply thing.

Edited by Davedk

I recently had my trigger advertised on the hub,guy contacted me via sms. I was immediately cautious,especially when he asked how would I like payment . So I thought I would put him off and said,cash or eft and you take bike when funds clear.

He then said he had a wedding and he was best man so maybe this wkd wasn't possible. It had scam written all over it. Especially as he had never contacted me through the hub's pm.

He called me on Monday and came around on Tuesday and purchased the bike,everything was legit and a nice friendly guy.

He was just upgrading from a archaic 15year old bike. You can never be to careful but I suppose this just goes to prove that everything is not always what it seems, For a change. I thought it was scam at first had all the write signals to be exactly that.

Wish sacha many happy km's on his trigger.

5. Post count < 1000

Shew thats a bit steep.  Even 500 posts will take along time to achieve and show genuine interest in cycling and the hub. 

haha! Pastor. We get paid so little, a scam seems necessary.

Hmmmm.should i be opening that box you delivered? :D

Edited by Uni

there is also a flipside  :oops:

there was a post for a dual sus frame for sale on the hub classifieds . really interested, haggled etc, the day i was going to look at the frame, i was sceptical so i asked him for the serial number. i was on bike registry site that same morning and the same type of frame he was selling was stolen in the same area where i stay. 

nevertheless i have not heard a peep from him since i asked for the serial number......... :ph34r:

just my 20cents worth!! :whistling:

Edited by RYANJ

6.  Too keen to pay before seeing the item

Sometimes not. Guy was selling a Red group. Called him, told him I wasn't even going to try and haggle the price. Please send me banking details, bupkiss there after. Maybe I was too eager?

5. Post count < 1000

so bit of a highjack but what about all the sellers on here with no posts selling three different bikes and bits of others all the ads running 'well the bikes not my size or its an unwanted gift or I used to mtb but now im road riding " the bikes and bits obviously not belonging to one person

shouldn't we be a bit suspicious of these dubious sellers (given that we never stop shouting about bike theft on here )

highjack off :ph34r:

so bit of a highjack but what about all the sellers on here with no posts selling three different bikes and bits of others all the ads running 'well the bikes not my size or its an unwanted gift or I used to mtb but now im road riding " the bikes and bits obviously not belonging to one person

shouldn't we be a bit suspicious of these dubious sellers (given that we never stop shouting about bike theft on here )

highjack off :ph34r:

Have to agree with this... I think it's worth flagging it with admin and let them decide. That's the sad thing every day there's bike thefts and more often then not, ppl are buying those parts/bikes.

• 2 months later...

I'm new to the BikeHub, just posted an Ad and had a person called "France" sms me trying to get me to ship me bike to him before the payment clears, said he would email proof of payment etc. I did phone him and he could barely speak english, and was going on about how he needs the bike in a hurry for his son's 21st, he also wanted me to ship the bike via InterCape to JHB and to use his drivers name as the recipient.

A friend of mine also has a bike for sale here, and he got a similar sms from "France" trying the same stunt.

He may legit, but the way he tried to get us to ship our bikes of in a hurry made us both feel very uneasy.

I'm new to the BikeHub, just posted an Ad and had a person called "France" sms me trying to get me to ship me bike to him before the payment clears, said he would email proof of payment etc. I did phone him and he could barely speak english, and was going on about how he needs the bike in a hurry for his son's 21st, he also wanted me to ship the bike via InterCape to JHB and to use his drivers name as the recipient.

A friend of mine also has a bike for sale here, and he got a similar sms from "France" trying the same stunt.

He may legit, but the way he tried to get us to ship our bikes of in a hurry made us both feel very uneasy.

Hi The Big cheese welcome to the bikehub, he is a big time scammer. Try stringing him along for a week or so ], can really be entertaining.

Guest notmyname

Hell, if I had know I would of strung him up in a tree and left him for the dogs ;)