Dodgy Buyer!

Brewster

WOW - busy selling my BMC and Solomon is interested.. Solomon Sulu - he says.. looked suspicious from the start!

I am still on contact with him....

Be careful out there!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW - busy selling my BMC and Solomon is interested.. Solomon Sulu - he says.. looked suspicious from the start!

I am still on contact with him....

Be careful out there!

Hi SuikerBossie,

Have you advertised the bike anywhere else and was your phone number ever displayed on your Hub advert to non-members, or was the options always ticked for members only?

Thanks,

Matt

what you need to do is get hold of some of that blue dye they use to mark money, attach to a bomb that will go off when a bike box( this you can get from a LBS you know, just an old box you can package the Bike in) and make plans to meet his driver( this is always the modus operandi) get mates with a few cops to follow from the drop off/ meet up location and make sure the guys thats all blue get whats coming to him( a few not so by the book cops make this a lot more fun).

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, been advertising my bike on the hub. Had a call on Saturday from Frans (spelled France) saying that he will take the bike as it is a present for his son.

He made payment but R20k more than the asking price via cheque deposit. I was immediately suspicious. Contacted him about it on which he first asked that I must just pay him back the balance. I refused and he said that his wife used the wrong cheque and that he would correct it. Yesterday morning the cheque was reversed and no contact since.

I'm sure it was a scam, but if things changes I shall apologise to France.

Hi guys, been advertising my bike on the hub. Had a call on Saturday from Frans (spelled France) saying that he will take the bike as it is a present for his son.

He made payment but R20k more than the asking price via cheque deposit. I was immediately suspicious. Contacted him about it on which he first asked that I must just pay him back the balance. I refused and he said that his wife used the wrong cheque and that he would correct it. Yesterday morning the cheque was reversed and no contact since.

100% scam.

Slightly off topic, but I recently sold a lens on gumtree, someone messaged me asking for its condition, then after, saying they very keen and will pay an extra R1000 (ontop of a R2500 selling price). I instantly mailed back some colourful language. 

My house is on Gumtree for rental by agents and someone posted a second, fake ad posing as the owner. Two people almost got caught paying her upfront rent and a deposit without even going into the house, but luckily my neighbour found them outside while they were looking at it. So, scamsters everywhere trying to make a buck!

My house is on Gumtree for rental by agents and someone posted a second, fake ad posing as the owner. Two people almost got caught paying her upfront rent and a deposit without even going into the house, but luckily my neighbour found them outside while they were looking at it. So, scamsters everywhere trying to make a buck!

Thats quite clever actually

Run if any of the below:

1.Foreign accent

2.Pastor somebody or the other

3."My son needs it by the end of today"

4.Deposit was too much

Sound advice that.

Definitely a scam. Well done for realising it straight away. And thanks for the heads up.

When I bought something in Cape Town (I'm in Bloem) the bike was taken to a bike shop who checked it out for me and gave the ok, I bought something from them for their trouble and they also boxed the bike for me and sent it on. Worked well.

There were also some Hubbers who were more than willing to go check it out.

Yup Also bought in the cape  - Cycle funatics did the same for my purchase , inspected bike and gave report , held it till my payment cleared

Than boxed it for a reasonable fee.

Courier collected from them 

Longer but safer all around route  

Went and did some retail therapy there when on holiday as a result ;-)