Dodgy Buyer!

Brewster

Got a sms from chap calling himself "Solomon" from Parrow who tries to rush you into couriering the bike quickly with promises of eft payment as soon as the bike is on route....He has a congolese accent ....no questions about the bike etc....Seriously dodgy!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a sms from chap calling himself "Solomon" from Parrow who tries to rush you into couriering the bike quickly with promises of eft payment as soon as the bike is on route....He has a congolese accent ....no questions about the bike etc....Seriously dodgy!!!!

Dude, be careful of guys like this.... I had too many close calls... Either, he has a good reputation on "thehub" and you can do business with like that or cash upfront first...

BTW, I had a LBS actually advise me that if I am wanting to buy a bike from someone in another part of the country, they willing to stand surety for the deal, Bike/frame can be sent to them, and if thats the case, I'll be more than willing to post or buy from other cities...

It's not worth these scumbags robbing you of your wares.... GLWS

Edited by Buzzman

Had similar. They try make you feel *** for not releasing the goods when they have "already eft'd you".

When I advertised the M9 I had a guy from the vaal message me saying it's for his son who does mountain biking. bla bla bla.

Same old story. 

He had no idea it's a downhill bike and I asked him the most bizarre random questions and he answered all of them. Had quite a bit of fun with him.

As I said in the other thread . . .

If a buyer tries to rush you into the sale in any way . . . walk away. 

Hi Brewster

Glad you dodged this scam.

Did the buyer happen to make any contact with you through The Hub or was it only by phone?

I can assist with bag loads of horse sh1te, if anybody is willing to foot the courier cost of a box load.... On second thoughts, i'll contribute to the costs as well. Pity we can't see the reaction of the dodgy scamster... GoPro on courier guy perhaps?

Dude, be careful of guys like this.... I had too many close calls... Either, he has a good reputation on "thehub" and you can do business with like that or cash upfront first...

BTW, I had a LBS actually advise me that if I am wanting to buy a bike from someone in another part of the country, they willing to stand surety for the deal, Bike/frame can be sent to them, and if thats the case, I'll be more than willing to post or buy from other cities...

It's not worth these scumbags robbing you of your wares.... GLWS

When I bought something in Cape Town (I'm in Bloem) the bike was taken to a bike shop who checked it out for me and gave the ok, I bought something from them for their trouble and they also boxed the bike for me and sent it on. Worked well.

There were also some Hubbers who were more than willing to go check it out.

Hi Brewster

Glad you dodged this scam.

Did the buyer happen to make any contact with you through The Hub or was it only by phone?

Hey Nick....The guy only contacted me via sms....but at that stage I had only advertised on the Hub....to stop him pestering me I messaged him that the 'cops were on the way' and after that silence! All good now Thanks!

Cheers Guys for the positive feed back...I've sent the scammer a "cops are on the way" reply and that sorted him!