Garmin Edge 20 & Edge 25: World’s smallest GPS cycling computer

News bot

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading through all the ra-ra-ra posts above, there must be something I'm missing.

Unless they are really cheap, I don't see the point of these units. The display is tiny and they have limited capabilities, clearly aimed at the first time user market.

They remind me of the cheapy Sigma and Cateye units. No thanks.

You need 100 more posts before August as I apply Rouxtjies 1000 post limit when dealing with $$$ on the hub :P  :w00t:

Slowbee and RocknRolla seem legit :thumbup:

:eek:  legit ? ^_^

and I am sure I know someone who can help with post counts .... at a fee of course.

Reading through all the ra-ra-ra posts above, there must be something I'm missing.

Unless they are really cheap, I don't see the point of these units. The display is tiny and they have limited capabilities, clearly aimed at the first time user market.

But use GPS and not a wheel sensor.

It has turn by turn navigation, HRM, cadence sensor, live tracking (a major plus point in my books), auto upload - all things that the cheapy units can't do.  

This is so much more than a bike computer that tells you how fast and far you're traveling!

Well anything is better than a bryton/polar on a bike. It has all you need without power. Very clear display, wireless and it says garmin.

It has turn by turn navigation, HRM, cadence sensor, live tracking (a major plus point in my books), auto upload - all things that the cheapy units can't do.  

This is so much more than a bike computer that tells you how fast and far you're traveling!

Plus, some of us don't want to analyze every iota of our rides on the go. Just HR & speed. Leave the rest for the laptop / computer after training. 

First time user market?

How about the user that knows what they want, and does not feel the need to pay for **** they are not going to use?

My wife has the 510, and it has a myriad of features that are unused, and for the price it really is an expensive piece of kit, nevermind the 810 and above.

I currently ride with a phone for data logging purpose, time, distance.

Personally having something so small on the bar that shows distance and time is more than enough for me.

Plus, some of us don't want to analyze every iota of our rides on the go. Just HR & speed. Leave the rest for the laptop / computer after training. 

Exactly!  I just want basics on the bike.  Micro analysis comes later.

I hear you, but in practice how easy is it going to be, for example, to use the navigation feature on that tiny display? 

I'm sure they will sell lots, and from a marketing point of view it's spot on, because people will buy it for the advertised features, realise after a short time that the display limits the functionality, and upgrade to 510's etc. 

Garmin wins whichever way you look at it.

I hear you, but in practice how easy is it going to be, for example, to use the navigation feature on that tiny display? 

I'm sure they will sell lots, and from a marketing point of view it's spot on, because people will buy it for the advertised features, realise after a short time that the display limits the functionality, and upgrade to 510's etc. 

My rides for the past 3 months have been done in the dark so have had zero display, except when flick through screens, so pretty much same level of data display you would get from the 25.

For me, I'll only use the navigation when I'm somewhere that I don't know, so looking down at the small screen is not a problem.  I don't need a big screen for a function that I only use 5% of the time.

Also, my vision is beyond spectacular, so maybe I'll see the small screen as you'll see the big screen?  :ph34r:

lack of power data is a problem for a lot of roadies though. Size is nice and I like the concept. But power data is a big part of most people's training nowadays, especially as power meter prices continue to drop lower.

Look, it's never going to be the one device that Garmin is going to sell alone.  

Some people will want the bigger ones with better functions.

But for me, it's perfect.  I can't wait for Pure Savage to bring mine to me.

:clap:

lack of power data is a problem for a lot of roadies though. Size is nice and I like the concept. But power data is a big part of most people's training nowadays, especially as power meter prices continue to drop lower.

If you can afford a power meter you can afford an edge 500/510/810 probably garmin thinking.