vets league becoming a joke

butafly

You know at the start of the RH race.... all league rides had to go to those two young ladies with laptops and show you licence, and hand over an easy entry.

Would you invisage the sign on table supplimenting the existing reg. tables or replacing it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know at the start of the RH race.... all league rides had to go to those two young ladies with laptops and show you licence' date=' and hand over an easy entry.

Would you invisage the sign on table supplimenting the existing reg. tables or replacing it?
[/quote']

I would imagine it as a simple sheet with all registered league riders names on it - this sits right near the start (maybe a clipboard) - in this way you ensure all riders are at the start and signed on ready to race.

Ja, clipboard could work....call out your name roll ffrd.

OK, off to train, I have done my require 7.5hrs in order to go and ride this afternoon. C u all tom in paarl

Got to add my ten cents worth here as I have been engaged in discusson with the organisers since my entire team was disqualified from the Worcester race.

The team was disqualified because the manager on the day went and registered at the wrong table and therefore the league table didnt have record of them. Now, bearing in mind this is a new system, my team then went and started the race, how did this happen? What this tells me there is no communication from the sign on table and the starting line. So I beg the question of what is the point of having the sign on table other than to assist the administartors in the administration? The second question I ask is; does this mistake deserve total event disqualification or could the team have recieved a written warning and maybe even a fine?

I have sent numerous mails and the answer I have recieved is that the comms on the day have made their descision. A request for a meeting with the PPA league committee has not yet been answered.

Lets progress to Red Hill. Having recieved a very swift wipping from the first event we went to the second one prepared to the hilt. So imagine my surprise when a major transgression took place and on my bringing it to the organisers attention I was told that the comms of the day didnt see it so that is that. The only prob with that is that the transgression took place at prize giving, when everyone their was looking in the same direction. Here my question is why werent the comms paying attention, surely if they can disqualify a whole team then they must be so on top of their game that they cannot miss a blatant transgression such as this?

Yes I am a bit pissed off about this and I certainly dont want to cause ^@$%for the winner as he truely deserved the victory BUT it is the consistancy of the enforcing of the rules and the punishment verses the crime that I really want to get some attention focused on.

Nowhere in the rule book does it state what the punishment/s for offences are.

I hope this is food for thought for Francios and the boys, as they are doing a good job but need to be clear on a few things

aggg it's all new rules, gonna take a while to smooth it out, it's all for the good fo the sport at the end of the day, right!!??

Got to add my ten cents worth here as I have been engaged in discusson with the organisers since my entire team was disqualified from the Worcester race.

The team was disqualified because the manager on the day went and registered at the wrong table and therefore the league table didnt have record of them. Now' date=' bearing in mind this is a new system, my team then went and started the race, how did this happen? What this tells me there is no communication from the sign on table and the starting line. So I beg the question of what is the point of having the sign on table other than to assist the administartors in the administration? The second question I ask is; does this mistake deserve total event disqualification or could the team have recieved a written warning and maybe even a fine?

I have sent numerous mails and the answer I have recieved is that the comms on the day have made their descision. A request for a meeting with the PPA league committee has not yet been answered.

Lets progress to Red Hill. Having recieved a very swift wipping from the first event we went to the second one prepared to the hilt. So imagine my surprise when a major transgression took place and on my bringing it to the organisers attention I was told that the comms of the day didnt see it so that is that. The only prob with that is that the transgression took place at prize giving, when everyone their was looking in the same direction. Here my question is why werent the comms paying attention, surely if they can disqualify a whole team then they must be so on top of their game that they cannot miss a blatant transgression such as this?

Yes I am a bit pissed off about this and I certainly dont want to cause ^@$%for the winner as he truely deserved the victory BUT it is the consistancy of the enforcing of the rules and the punishment verses the crime that I really want to get some attention focused on.

Nowhere in the rule book does it state what the punishment/s for offences are.

I hope this is food for thought for Francios and the boys, as they are doing a good job but need to be clear on a few things

[/quote']

What team ?

What happened at RH at prizegiving ?

The Liberty Life Under 23 team, as for the prize giving the organisers know about it, I dont think it would be fair to the rider to bring him into it now.

The point is not to highlight the transgressoin but to highlight the lack of consistancy and it would seem the lack of attention payed by the comms.

Big%20smile

I despair,,,,,,I really doCry. for you guys! I have read every comment here and suffice to say I have nothing to add but feel for you okes...shameCry.

"DTThumbs%20Up"

How come an elite rider in Red hill can not have his transponder but still get prize money but just not get points.

I am not trying to attack anyone in particular. I just want to ask for consistancy. They award a podium position but dont award points.  I dont understand?...

Was it maybe a mistake that was only picked up once the admin was complete.

The 2nd lady at Woester asked the week before the league what she needs to race in league. PPA told her a licence and club. She gets licence via Maties. Week after race winning time phones her, no one told her she must be PPA member. SO, PPA takes league entry without person being a PPA member! She was out of cycling for years, thought her league money she handed to PPA covers any PPA fees,. 

Come race Wednesday Nite @ Killarney.... no bitching and rules are simple... Helmet, and no dangerous cycling...... however, no age groups, and prize giving only in Feb 2007.......

I've read every post on this topic and just have the following to say:

1. Read the dam booklet and then you wont get disqualified... or be arrogant and do what you like and get disqualified... just dont bitch about it.

2. The timing incident was unprecidented so the organisers did the best they could. sh*t happens!

3. Last I checked PPA league races are not UCI sanctioned events so the whole "be at start 15 min prior to event" is completely irrelivent.

4. Officials make mistakes, they are only human. Some guys are always going to sneak through and get away with breaking the rules. As far as I am aware if an official didn't see something himself then they cannot make a ruling based on a cyclist/managers word.

I mean seriously guys the officials and race organisers aren't out there to get you. The rules are the same for everyone. Be greatfull that the officials and organisers are giving of their free time to make the leagues we all love to complain about happen.

I've read every post on this topic and just have the following to say:

1. Read the dam booklet and then you wont get disqualified... or be arrogant and do what you like and get disqualified... just dont bitch about it.

2. The timing incident was unprecidented so the organisers did the best they could. sh*t happens!

3. Last I checked PPA league races are not UCI sanctioned events so the whole "be at start 15 min prior to event" is completely irrelivent.

4. Officials make mistakes' date=' they are only human. Some guys are always going to sneak through and get away with breaking the rules. As far as I am aware if an official didn't see something himself then they cannot make a ruling based on a cyclist/managers word.

I mean seriously guys the officials and race organisers aren't out there to get you. The rules are the same for everyone. Be greatfull that the officials and organisers are giving of their free time to make the leagues we all love to complain about happen.
[/quote']

Cocaine

1. No one is bitching about the number issue - rules are rules

2. The timing incident - the officials started the race, the guys raced - no problem. Why award no points becasue a few guys did not get their in time ??

3. Read your licence - we race under UCI rules - that is why you have to show your licence pre registering and pre racing.

4. Mistakes are fine - lack of consistency is not. We have the beneift of being able to review a situation after a race and make an informed decision.

We all know the organisers are tryng their best - but rules need to be in place, and then enforced fairly and consistently. Put yourself in Guy Pikes shoes and look at that situation objectively and then ask yourself how you would feel.

or be arrogant and do what you like and get disqualified... just dont bitch about it.

[/Quote]

Cocaine, what makes you think that arrogance has anything to do with the issue? To the best of my knowledge this was the first time that 2 numbers were used. Given that and the fact that the run of the mill fun rides (every other Sat) use one number AND that two frame numbers were supplied  it is quite reasonable to assume that some people would have presumed that the "thoughful" PPA had provided a set of spares - 1 spare frame number and one spare body number. There is no arrogance involved. The only misdemeanour is that the culprits didn't read the manual (properly).

The organisers made a point of implementing the rules very strictly w.r.t. the numbers - apparently because they went to great effort to produce the manual and so as to set the example for the series as a whole.  OK that's understandable and still fair at this point ...

BUT they saw fit not to implement the rules w.r.t. crossing the white line at the same ride - incidents witnessed and very reasonably controlled by the race comm.

So in my humble opinion they undermined themselves at the first event by being unreasonably strict w.r.t. the number issue and then left themselves open to criticism for every subsequent issue. Unfortunately for them Murphy and his evil sense of humour intervened and the next oops was a BIGGY.

But just so that I have the facts, has it been formally announced that the RH ride is a non-event in terms of league points? Guy's name is listed atop the Vets results table on the doc http://www.falconsports.co.za/uploads/penguin.pdf

or be arrogant and do what you like and get disqualified... just dont bitch about it.

[/Quote]

Cocaine' date=' what makes you think that arrogance has anything to do with the issue? To the best of my knowledge this was the first time that 2 numbers were used. Given that and the fact that the run of the mill fun rides (every other Sat) use one number AND that two frame numbers were supplied  it is quite reasonable to assume that some people would have presumed that the "thoughful" PPA had provided a set of spares - 1 spare frame number and one spare body number. There is no arrogance involved. The only misdemeanour is that the culprits didn't read the manual (properly).

The organisers made a point of implementing the rules very strictly w.r.t. the numbers - apparently because they went to great effort to produce the manual and so as to set the example for the series as a whole.  OK that's understandable and still fair at this point ...

BUT they saw fit not to implement the rules w.r.t. crossing the white line at the same ride - incidents witnessed and very reasonably controlled by the race comm.

So in my humble opinion they undermined themselves at the first event by being unreasonably strict w.r.t. the number issue and then left themselves open to criticism for every subsequent issue. Unfortunately for them Murphy and his evil sense of humour intervened and the next oops was a BIGGY.

But just so that I have the facts, has it been formally announced that the RH ride is a non-event in terms of league points? Guy's name is listed atop the Vets results table on the doc http://www.falconsports.co.za/uploads/penguin.pdf
[/quote']

Yes they have - as it currently stands Francois feels this "is the fairest decision"