vets league becoming a joke

butafly

I don't know Donkey, but if they are so strict with all the other rules they should then stick to the official advertised starting times other wise it?s pretty pointless enforcing just certain rules. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know Donkey' date=' but if they are so strict with all the other rules they should then stick to the official advertised starting times other wise it?s pretty pointless enforcing just certain rules. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[/quote']

I saw the start of the race Sunday. Why could 98% of the guys be on time?  I also saw the "late-comers" joining the race.  I think for them its just a Q of being late most of the time any way.  If you are late...your problem. 

Question here:  who started the vets too early (who gave told them to race)?  We have the situation where the leagues are organised by Falcons and policed by officials and commisionaire(s) that are (hopefully) CSA accredited.  However, the start is done by the event coordinator from the PPA (or it was done at Worcester); who is in contact with the traffic officials who gives the "green light" as it were.  Communication gap?

Just another question:  Do you guys think that venue (Main Rd Simonstown) is still the right venue for the Red Hill start and finish.  During the race there were a few hair raising moments with cars and busses etc.  Some of the CVT riders in the lead bunch at the time, were almost taken out completly by a dude trying to make a u-turn when they were approaching.  I don't think I said oh sh*t so much in a long time....

We all know that none of us sit there 15mins before....

we all do little 1min up the road and one min down.

I kinda have a 5 minutes rule when I make sure I am at the mats 5mins before.

The way I see it....the person starting the vets should stick to their advertised time. But then everyone should kinda stick to the 15min rule....or at least make a 5min rule for themselves....

and wear your chip and your 3 numbers!
Donkey2006-09-22 06:04:51

If the organizers are to stick to their advertised time, they should have a huge clock at the entrance to the event so that people know what that time is...

If my watch was 5mins late, I'd have a small problem wouldn't I?

So if UCI say you must be @ the start 15mins before' date=' does that give them the right to start when the hell they like?

serious Q?
[/quote']

No, of course it doesn't - why on earth would they want to.

The reaosn for this rule is to ensure that IF a race has to start a few minutes early (or late) for any legit reason (traffic, accident etc) that all riders are present and ready to go or to be informed of the situation.

That is why a sign on sheet is the norm - you get there and sign on - no sign on then no race.

To advertise and stick to an exact time is impractical and virtually impossible without synchronising watches with every rider in the field.

I kinda have a 5 minutes rule when make sure I am at the mats 5mins before.

The way I see it....the person starting the vets should stick to their advertised time. But the everyone should kinda stick to the 15min rule....or at least make a 5min rule for themselves....

and wear your chip and you all 3 numbers!

15 minutes before the start is a k*k rule if you are racing, because you cool down waiting for the start, but at the same time you do need some sort of control.

Problem is if you ?obey? the rule and stand in the start area there are always some guys who push the limit and warm up right to the last minute (and then push their way in, to the front usually), if they are late then tough! the race should start on time and the late comers start from the back or wherever.

Reminds me of a incident that happened to me at XC National, Sub vets at George +/-2001.?

I always arrive at or before the designated start time and usually bitch about the guys who don?t (cause by the time we start I have cooled down and they?re still lekker warmed up) ?anyway I rode up after hearing my name being called by the starter, but he did not see or hear my reply and he decided I took to long to come forward and told me to wait? the DB called up every rider and then once everyone had taken their place allowed me to enter the start ? I tried to go to my front row spot (was still open) but he would not let me and said I had to start at the back?. Needless to say I had a K*K race cause I got stuck in slower traffic.

I kinda have a 5 minutes rule when make sure I am at the mats 5mins before.

The way I see it....the person starting the vets should stick to their advertised time. But the everyone should kinda stick to the 15min rule....or at least make a 5min rule for themselves....

and wear your chip and you all 3 numbers!

15 minutes before the start is a k*k rule if you are racing' date=' because you cool down waiting for the start, but at the same time you do need some sort of control.

Problem is if you ?obey? the rule and stand in the start area there are always some guys who push the limit and warm up right to the last minute (and then push their way in, to the front usually), if they are late then tough! the race should start on time and the late comers start from the back or wherever.

Reminds me of a incident that happened to me at XC National, Sub vets at George +/-2001.?

I always arrive at or before the designated start time and usually bitch about the guys who don?t (cause by the time we start I have cooled down and they?re still lekker warmed up) ?anyway I rode up after hearing my name being called by the starter, but he did not see or hear my reply and he decided I took to long to come forward and told me to wait? the DB called up every rider and then once everyone had taken their place allowed me to enter the start ? I tried to go to my front row spot (was still open) but he would not let me and said I had to start at the back?. Needless to say I had a K*K race cause I got stuck in slower traffic.

[/quote']

I think it is the only way to run things - you sign on 15 mins before and then stay close enough to the start to hear what is going on (or make sure you have a team mate doing so and a cell phone)

There are many reasons why a race may start early by a few minutes or late and a rider needs to be close enough to be lept informed.

If guys push their luck and are not there then, as happened on Sunday, they miss their start.

What shoud not then happen is that all the riders who did start as instructed, then end up losing all points.

Then again, they had no problem delaying the SV's for the Liberty crit in Kayalitsha on Saturday (so we could ride with the Vets)...

The 15 min rule is for signon  if there is a sign on table' date='  That is if there is 1  [/quote']

No - the rule stipulates that riders must be present and ready at least 15 mins before the start (regardless of sign on) The sign on tabel closes 10 mins before the advertised start.

We should have a sign on sheet - this would help IMO.