2016 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR Prep

With a return rate of more than 55% the newbies are left with only 45%.

Interested takers might have a look at Lee Fullers account on the Freedom Challenge :

https://youcanttakeourfreedom.wordpress.com/2015/07/10/adventure-guaranteed/

Aslo the wonderful and exciting experience and wonderings of Dirt Rider :

http://www.dirt-rider.co.za/2014/08/the-start-so-after-watching-this-race.html

more info about this wonderful race on :

www.freedomchallenge.org.za

Adventure and new friendships definitely guaranteed !!! 

20322_947725988613384_528308231515856725

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Marnitz. Perhaps you would be kind enough to keep adding various links to your post, also some advice on clothing, what goes into your "ice cream tubs", stuff like that.

Thank you Marnitz. Perhaps you would be kind enough to keep adding various links to your post, also some advice on clothing, what goes into your "ice cream tubs", stuff like that.

Discussed here.

One of this years proud finishers insight on the race.....

THOUGHTS ALONG THE TRAIL

I have ridden in the shadows of the greats, like Dreyer, Harris, and the iconic Tim James,
I have tumbled into the Umko Valley, only to climb the Hella Hella,
I have lost myself with the ghosts of Vuvu, and conquered Lehana,
I have cursed, sweated, pushed, pulled and pedalled,
I have searched for the tracks of those gone before me,
I have seen the beauty of our land, and even more so, the beauty of the great hearts of the people along the Trail,
I have been tickled by the Whitethorns, and egged on by the baboons of the Osseberg,
I have listened to the great silence.
I was awed by the grandeur of all the Bergs and the vast Karoo,
I smelled Fynbos – for the first time – and it was fine
I have rolled down the Holsloot, and on to Stettyns,
I have earned every kilometre along the way.
All the while watched over by our guardian angels, Meryl and Glenn. 
I have left it all on the Trail, liberated....
I am a Freedom Rider.
Michael Devereux

I have updated my blog with the kit I took on my first attempt . Because of all the great advice from the old thread and people like Marnitz , Mike , Trackz and a few other I think I got the kit bit  spot on . Even my 2l tubs will stay unchanged . I wasted very little , I am sure Hyena can confirm that .  :w00t:

I will however change from my carrier system to backpack and would like some suggestions on what to look for . 

Clothing : I'm a winter lover, don't use too much clothes, just enough to keep me warm when I'm cycling, so I have to cycle.

The idea is layers, it doesn't matter which brand, but layers, just enough not to sweat.

Ice Cream tubs :

• Maps & Narratives
  • Any lekke stuff that you really enjoy eating/drinking - no gels
  • Recovery drink - or buy a beer
  • Spares when needed

Lets someone else buy the eats and drinks for you, mix it up, you will get really gatvol of the same stuff every day......

I will however change from my carrier system to backpack and would like some suggestions on what to look for . 

I've got a Deuter 22 liter + a Solomon front feeder bag.

Doesn't matter which backpack you buy, make sure it's smaller than the one you want to buy, waterproof and durable to last the entire way.

I also use a Revelant saddle bag to carry all the spare and stuff that I wear on a daily basis, arm warmers, gloves, winter pants, rain gear ext.  

Hope it helps

I see mr nienaber is making enquiries on 29ers in the classifieds  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I'm signing onto this thread,

to listen to all the warstories

to soak up all the advice

to look at all the images

to hopefully add some help of my own.

Think I'll give myself a trial run at either the RTR or RTCradock, which one would you enter? Looking for peace and quiet.

RTR would be more beneficial if you're going to ride the full event in the near future!

Was out on the PMB - Allendale opening stretch yesterday with GrantC. Here are some pics.

Watching the sun come up over the Freedom Trail...

post-22004-0-28464500-1436795982_thumb.jpg

The final push up the exposed summit of the mast once you've completed the long climb up through the forest.

post-22004-0-18384700-1436796043_thumb.jpg

The final drop down into the Umko valley on that hectic concrete ramp (my brakes were smelling by the time I got to the bottom).

post-22004-0-01677900-1436796152_thumb.jpg

Archived