2016 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR Prep

Caren and Tony are def out of the Valley, that is one of the other routes out of the Valley and its a bit longer, but there is a gentle slope down from the neck/ saddle where they exited, if there is someone on holiday in the hut (lights) down the road they may just be lucky enough to have seen the first sign of humans since 6am this morn and then if they trundle down that slope they will hit the track and then its happy days.

Its likely with the weather there now that they could be in thick cloud and have no signs at all - but they are headed in the right direction - now if we can just get a satellite overhead we can get an update.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there we go, they are on their way home, phew

the relief they must be feeling after being in that valley for 12 hours is hard to imagine

its incidents like this where at about 16H00 they made a call to keep going up the valley and now 4 hrs later they are vindicated that will stay with them for a very long time

Yay. Caren and Tony on the jeep track heading in the right direction. Brad looks to be safe and sound in buildings near the dam and Pierre is doing some last minute wandering but is so close he must be able to smell the pizza. Looks like I'll be able to get some sleep tonight after all.

Pierre has his blanket, Tony and Caren not too far off.

People have been "kouing harde klippe" for some hours, hats off to them.

Pierre has his blanket, Tony and Caren not too far off.

People have been "kouing harde klippe" for some hours, hats off to them.

:clap:  :clap:

well done Pierre!!!

and nobody gets a free ride to the end. 

Say no more.

Pierre equipped himself with the necessary knowledge and fitness to be able to take care of himself and to make it successful to the finish line,  just show's you what can be done with the right attitude.

Glad you're home Pierre !!!!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  

is Brad still in the valley ?

and the other two are passing mcgregor. So trouhaven tonight and finish tomorrow night in time for dessert at the dinner ?

You don't have to be scared by the Freedom Challenge, you just need to be equipped and well prepared.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  

@Nancy  Should we put your name on the list ?   :)

I have other plans for 2017, but I'm leaning towards getting the "equipped and well prepared" part sorted next year and then perhaps my name will be on the R2R 2018 list  :blush:

i just looked at the map, are the last two still in the valley ? surely not? they must have finished by now ?

i just looked at the map, are the last two still in the valley ? surely not? they must have finished by now ?

The last three, Clint, Neville and Gerald, spent the night in Stettyns. They are on the move, expected in later today.

The last three, Clint, Neville and Gerald, spent the night in Stettyns. They are on the move, expected in later today.

:thumbup: , wow. did they spend alot of time out trouthaven? I thought they would attempt Stettyns on Saturday ? Did they wait out the weather ?

Maybe it's hindsight, and also I'm sitting in my chair, but it seems like the first three guys who went up the south side of Stettynskloof to the top of the ridge seemed to move through there a lot faster.  

I've not been there personally, but looking at photos from around there, it looks like it's not too steep on the south side.  Why are more people not doing it?  What am I not seeing?

Archived