2016 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR Prep

shame man, as a keyboard watcher that poor oke is really inspecting the valley to make sure he covers every avenue!

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They made it to the gravel road!  :clap:

Must be feeling ecstatic to be there!  It's hard to get seriously stuck from there! 

for the ou's what knows - info for next year :whistling:

Suggestions for tyre choices. Must be tough as nails, little rolling resistance. Grip not important.

I'm thinking Crossmark Lust?

Suggestions for tyre choices. Must be tough as nails, little rolling resistance. Grip not important.

That's what I used this year. No punctures, no problems - nothing

Foloow the +++++ they will lead you to the finish

That's too cryptic for me bru'. Plain English for a doff oke please.

it rained alot, there are no ++++++++++ these okes are making new ones

Maybe it's hindsight, and also I'm sitting in my chair, but it seems like the first three guys who went up the south side of Stettynskloof to the top of the ridge seemed to move through there a lot faster.  

I've not been there personally, but looking at photos from around there, it looks like it's not too steep on the south side.  Why are more people not doing it?  What am I not seeing?

you're not seeing the vertical exaggeration!

it's moere steep, like approaching 1:1. just think platteklip gorge with no path to follow.

ok so I see two little arrows that finished - but there is still neville in the valley who has not moved.

is that correct or have all finished ?

Thanks for all the support and advice , it really made the journey a little bit easier  :clap:

well done dirt rider !!!

now when is the ride report ?

Clint's wise words :

Day 23 which became day 24! Leaving 'battle station Trouthaven on Sunday morning at 6am, many before and many experienced, frowned upon this late advancement onto the 'battle ground which was to become the Kloof all known as Stettsteyn! Our strategy was to arrive at the gateway of this Kloof at 1st light for the simple reason being we were not going to mess around in the dark on foreign grounds we had no inclination of as had been the planning of the Trio throughout our journey together. It was not a late embarkment because of being naive of what was to come, it was just the way it was.

We had heard all the "horror stories" of those who went before us. Those who stumbled. Those who emerged victorious. Those who fought a galant battle and lost. Those who fought a vicious battle with the Kloof and won. The Kloof was not to be underestimated and her magical beauty also harboured the ability to bring on unimaginable suffering!

The Trio had discussed at length 'battle plans and in the end opted to enter the Kloof and go up the middle as per map indications. That was plan A. On a clear lit sky, dawn breaking we started at the base at around 8am, standing at the mouth of the corridor staring in awe up the Kloof to a far off saddle silloutted against the skyline we were to head for around 6-8km away.

A lone jet passed over high up in the sky and was almost a trigger the battle had begun! We started out as the instructions given according to map and plan. It was a matter of minutes and we found ourselves in thick vegetated growth. A couple of paths littered the way from those before us. We picked one and a few metres in we were deadlocked. It was like the vegetation swallowed us up! Nervous looks gave way to an almost synchronised thought process. We switched to plan B almost instinctively! We were going 'high and right' on the eastern slope of Stettsteyn Kloof corridor. We literally started laying our bikes down in the path we were on in thick vegetation, running and throwing body and limbs into what lay in front of us to clear a path for exit to the outside and light. We were not going to cover 1km in 4 hours like some of the previous warriors had done. We needed to try move faster as we knew we only had limited day light hours to contend with.

We broke through this thick vegetation, pulling, throwing our bikes forward and started the clamber up the mountain to our right, away from the river and thick vegetated growth! The going was slow as we started to make our way up the 'field and climbing high up into the mountain, encountering a number of rocky ravines with thick growth one after another. These were also feeding water from high up in the mountain to the main river below. The terrain was wet. The vegetation generally waist high but forever changing in amongst rocky crops. The mountain tops had sprinkles and dusting of snow in places. The air constantly chilled in the shadows.

Around late 3pm, the battle having raged on all day, we had made half way. The saddle was closer but still yet so far. We spotted a dry river bed higher up the mountain and a point we needed to cross over yet another ravine. We were heavily fatigued. We gauged at the time we had around 3hours of day light left. We weren't going to make our exit point before then! We made a combined call as the Trio. We were going to bunk down for the night.

We made it to the river bed high up in the ravine and set about getting ready for a long cold night. Wood stockpiled. A firepit established we settled down in a sombre mood making fire. We were so badly hoping for a Sunday finish! I myself fell into deep silence the rest of the evening feeling dejected. There was no way to notify anyone we were safe and those following the tracker would only see a non moving blip and have to draw their own conclusions.

The Kloof fell into darkness quickly and so we sat huddled around the fire, sitting on icecold rocks. There was no real place for a comfortable place to sleep. Between the Trio we shared a 'meal of cup a soup, biltong strips and nougat bites along with rationing our water. We were on a dry river bed. We were far from the river below. We would gather more water in the morning. We donned all the clothes we processed which wasn't much. Emergency blankets wrapped around our bodies and the fire constantly fed, we sat and tried to sleep in this position throughout the night. The night was long. The night was quiet. The night was dark and like an abyss before us. The sky was clear and one could see forever. A million more stars than you've seen before could be seen in that absolute blackness!

Surprisingly we were kept pretty warm with the fire going all night. There was no violent shivering like the many nights back when we slept out in the Bosholweni forest. We also put it down to choosing a fairly well sheltered spot high up against the mountain and far from the river edge at the bottom.

Dawn broke as majestically as all the other mornings and with the fire allowed to burn right down, heat minimal one could feel just how cold it was. 3 packets of instant coffee mixed and heated in a bowl became our breakfast. We were low on any form of nutrition keeping our packs light....and for a Sunday finish that didn't happen. Our energy now was reliant on energy gel sachets that we started sucking on every odd hour to keep us going.

It would take us another 6 hours to get out the Kloof. Fighting one last mass of vegetation, also finding a literal clear tunnel of overgrown ferns leading us to the 'promised land' and last river crossing and then a steep portage out the Kloof!

We emerged at the summit exhausted on low energy and being totally sapped from the night out lack of proper recovery. Yet! We felt victorious! We made it out!

Looking back from the summit, down the valley to where we had started, I silently nodded at my thought process in agreement of what a previous Freedom Challenge competitor had quoted when posting a picture of the Kloof. "How can so much beauty hold so much suffering"

We made our way off the backside of the mountain, got onto some jeep track and started riding for the first time in nearly a day and half. We winded through the mountains and eventually ended up on the main route to take us 'home'! The finish line - Diemmerfontein.

The last 6km on tar was a time for reflection for me. I was exhausted, hungry, bruised. It didn't matter anymore! I had coupled and done this journey with 2 incredible guys, Neville Higgs and Gerald van der Merwe. Together we did it our way!

All the pain and suffering gave way to an emotional elation that I had followed a dream, and more than one dream in that my fundraising for Carel du Toit centre was part of this. I failed on the first Freedom attempt in 2014 but came back and finished it!

The journey was just that! An incredible journey of self discovery and learned experiences. Places been and incredible people met. I even lost 12kg in body weight! Stettsteyn kloof broke me over and over but failed to destroy me. The Freedom Challenge race across South Africa humbled me.

I wanted to share an insert of a piece my twin sister wrote while we were stuck out in the Kloof on Sunday night and very appropriately written:

....."Friends, family, race followers and fellow cyclists who have already completed the race watch with us and each has their own opinion of how they have chosen to approach this challenge. There are those who see this race/challenge as a race to be won with the breaking of records, setting faster times and speeds. There are those that just hope to get as far as the next checkpoint and see what happens from there. Each one has paid their fee and planned as they have seen fit with their own personal goals in mind.

As I have followed Clint’s (and the Trio’s) journey I have been struck by many things. The Freedom Challenge means different things to different folk. To one it means being number one, to another it means testing oneself to see how far one can go, to yet another it is a journey to realising a dream...

Clint set out to ride this challenge to raise awareness and funds for Carel Du Toit Centre because it is a cause very close to his heart. This was a dream he wanted to fulfil for a while now. As Clint’s twin, I saw first hand what it was like to grow up being hearing impaired and so while I do not know what it is like to be deaf, I understand his passion for this cause...

I have learnt… 
- That you have to be brave when you “fall off a saddle” and that just because you may have failed before, does not mean you give up on your dreams. 
- That for some; slow and steady wins the prize. Not everyone is built or wired the same. Knowing your strengths AND weaknesses and planning accordingly is wise.

- That being the fastest doesn’t necessarily mean you are the only winner, but that helping someone else reach their goal to make it to the end with you makes you a hero (all three of the Trio fit that bill)

As I wait for the sun to rise and think about the three guys out there in the cold, (the Sweepers as they are now known because they are the last cyclists to complete the 2300km race/challenge) I was reminded of that day and how I felt. I wish I knew then what I have learnt from my brother today. Being last is not failure – finishing the race is winning. I am so incredibly proud of Clint and what he has achieved. I am also proud of and grateful to Neville Higgs and Gerald Van Der Merwe for the support they offered him and each other."

Neville, Gerald and I unbeknown to waiting family and friends stopped at the gate way before we entered Diemmerfontein. We shared a prayer of thanks and a hug. Yes, it was a personal moment for us. A massive milestone. We had come so far together and the journey was about to end. Grown men cry? Embark on a journey like we have and we can talk again! The power of 3 strangers that came together and became the power of one!

From a very emotional meeting of family and friends on the finish line, It's all over now and it's back to "real world stuff....

I endeavor to write up a new post to thank one and all in a while soon for all that were part of this journey of mine. A lot of administration catching up for me....But to you all again! Overwhelmingly,Thank you for being so supportive and you all know who you are.....

True words from Clint and his sister.

Yes some of us race it to be number one,

and some of us race our own abilities,

and some race just to finish to own their blanket.

In the end we are all winners,

we have conquered our goals 

we have conquered our fears

we are all worthy blanket wearers !!!!

Well done Sweepers, you have suffered and conquered far more than any of the racers !!!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Archived