Are Pro Cyclists Littering Angels

Eugene

How would you propose they do it?

Leave it in the cage, actually use the litter zones for the intended purpose. Put gel sachets into their pockets. If I can do it, so can they.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ever seen what cape town looks like after the argus - two oceans- the epic

-cleaning up after is part of the contract I think youll find :blink:

It's the rivers, dams and pristine mountain slopes that bother me. I'm sure there are cleaning teams, but they probably only do the roads.

Oh yay!!

You know what bothers me, the air pollution that F1 causes.

Or that damn Olympic torch that burn days on end for no reason!

Or all that methane that the Olympians fart out from only having MacDonalds to buy at the village.

Seriously though, they are the worlds best cyclist riding in the worlds hardest races, trust me they are not thinking about littering, they are thinking about surviving. You go race 2x sub 3 Arguses a day for 21 days, eating 6000 cals a day without dropping a packet and we can chat. That's why there are cleaning contacts awarded to people to clean the mess.

Bigger issues at hand.

Edited by Patchelicious

Ha! Have a look at durbans beachfront on any given weekend morning. Now that crowd makes the tdf peleton look like a bunch of tree hugging, Eco friendly saints. Not to mention the trash ain't memorobelia, it's more along the lines of broken glass bottles and human fiesies.

Viva tour Dirtbin

Edited by alex rim

Picked this up along the EP Herald route in PE about 2 years ago, about a week after the race. This was on a 5km "out and back" section of the 105km route. I had to stop purely because my pockets couldn't take any more.

post-57055-0-01724500-1436813230_thumb.jpg

This past Saturday morning I saw a roadie in my bunch casually toss a Gu wrapper to the side. I dropped out of the bunch, picked it up and chased them down again. Loudly asked who this belonged to and that it is absolutely disgusting to do that. I know who it was and know that he saw me asking as I was next to him when I held the wrapper out and asked. Naturally, he didn't say a thing.

Seriously though, they are the worlds best cyclist riding in the worlds hardest races, trust me they are not thinking about littering, they are thinking about surviving. You go race 2x sub 3 Arguses a day for 21 days, eating 6000 cals a day without dropping a packet and we can chat. That's why there are cleaning contacts awarded to people to clean the mess.

Bigger issues at hand.

I really got what you were saying here, when I looked at this gopro footage. Somehow, it looks so much more up close and personal than the dstv imagery

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bVufkFjYX8w

It's not rugby. Each rider isn't surrounded by team of helpers handing out water bottles while they stand around watching endless replays on the big screen.

I cannot fathom what about half the people on this forum are doing here.

I think the term 'dirty pigs' is a bit strong though?

I once saw a guy leaning against a dustbin eating an icecream. When he was finished he tossed the wrapper on the floor. I picked it up and called him a dirty pig.

it would be hypocritical of me not to refer to everyone who litters in the same vane.

I once saw a guy leaning against a dustbin eating an icecream. When he was finished he tossed the wrapper on the floor. I picked it up and called him a dirty pig.

it would be hypocritical of me not to refer to everyone who litters in the same vane.

Oh ok, so Contador/Froome now = a fat ice cream eating dustbin ignoring Dirty Pig. Riiiiight.

Seeing as you now MUST call all litterers "Dirt Pigs"..... here you go, let the name calling commence!

All F1/open wheels drivers... Dirty Pigs!

http://canonmasterclass.autosport.com/images/fritsphoto/fullsize/08.jpg

All motorcycle riders... Dirty Pigs!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZtyeY6bHyr4/UodcAV8sokI/AAAAAAAAUrA/bKtfHeRFDKw/s1600/Tear+Off+.jpg

Ever ridden a MTB trail, multi stage race? Oops, you support littering!! Farmer Glen, Vermaak. Leon Evans... dirty pigs ALL of them!!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/t/poland-gorce-mountains-trail-blazing-marks-tree-trunk-national-park-44125575.jpg

I could carry on if I cared, but the point is, littering is bad yes, absolutely!! But what these guys are doing is part of their job, and they put plans in place to clean it afterwards, so its not littering. Thats like me saying you putting your rubbish outside on a Tuesday morning is littering, its litter until the rubbish dudes comes later and collects it.

Me and you throwing a goo packet on the road is disgusting! I would never do it! I campaign against it. But calling the worlds best cyclist "ditry pigs" for it? Bit harsh.

If me and you litter is its because we are lazy dirty inconsiderate pigs! Agreed, but if they do it it is because they are trying to win the worlds toughest races and their jobs depend on it. And lets face it, if there was no people cleaning it up, they would have been told to stop.... Basically what I am saying is that even though the action is the same, the consequence is not.

Life is not as black and white as what you are trying to make it. If it makes your life easier doing this then go ahead, but painting everybody with the same brush? Not really the reality of the matter.

If I ever see Froome throwing an ice-cream paper on the ground on a rest day, I will call him a dirty pig, but if I see him throw a bottle.wrapper away half way up Ventoux, I will simply just pick it up for him and cheer as he goes by.

Edited by Patchelicious

I have no issues with these athletes at the top level dumping their wrappers, bottles etc.

I am sure that the organisers have plans to clean up afterwards.

In any case, I wonder if anything remains that they dump.

Those frenchies dive onto any souvenirs dropped by the pro peloton.

Nothing like a goo wrapper sucked on by Thomas Voekler on the mantelpiece.

I didn't see any of the leaders or in fact anybody else searching for a drum to dump their wrappers during the Comrades.

Edited by Vetseun

"Zay arr feeelzy dirty peeeegs" is more correct, non?

I guess one man's pourquoi is another man's poison.