Are Pro Cyclists Littering Angels

Eugene

Did a 10Km road run a while back in the cradle and people throw their water bottles off the road into the bushes. I mean seriously who is going to climb into the bushes to find your plastic sachet or bottle no matter how much they get paid.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Throwing wrappers and ... etc. etc. etc. is called job creation.

After all it was a drive by our President, so shut up and conform.

OK, now wait for Friday to comment   :ph34r:  :w00t:

The problem is intent.

I struggle to see how when you are tapping it out in the peleton for 200km, that putting a gel sachet in your back pocket is any disadvantage. If they all did it, it is back to the level playing field. None of their livelihoods depend on intentional throwing litter on the ground.

They are role models, and you can tell by the comments here that some people think its is OK because they do it. The 10 000 sachets thrown down by the riders during the TDF don't add up to a lot of plastic. The 200 million thrown down world wide by people who think it is OK is a problem. And yes, that is a made up number but hopefully you get the point.

The reality is that they don't care, if they did, they would make the effort to be that slightly better role model. I bet in the peleton there actually are some guys who do make the effort.

Not about to call them names but I can't stomach it either.

Doesn't matter whether it's the oke in the taxi, the family on the beach, the Argus rider, or the pro on the tour, littering is wrong. It's indefensible.

And I don't think it would be that hard to fix on the tour. Just flippin' ban it. It'd make for good PR too...

Oh ok, so Contador/Froome now = a fat ice cream eating dustbin ignoring Dirty Pig. Riiiiight.

Seeing as you now MUST call all litterers "Dirt Pigs"..... here you go, let the name calling commence!

All F1/open wheels drivers... Dirty Pigs!

http://canonmasterclass.autosport.com/images/fritsphoto/fullsize/08.jpg

All motorcycle riders... Dirty Pigs!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZtyeY6bHyr4/UodcAV8sokI/AAAAAAAAUrA/bKtfHeRFDKw/s1600/Tear+Off+.jpg

Ever ridden a MTB trail, multi stage race? Oops, you support littering!! Farmer Glen, Vermaak. Leon Evans... dirty pigs ALL of them!!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/t/poland-gorce-mountains-trail-blazing-marks-tree-trunk-national-park-44125575.jpg

I could carry on if I cared, but the point is, littering is bad yes, absolutely!! But what these guys are doing is part of their job, and they put plans in place to clean it afterwards, so its not littering. Thats like me saying you putting your rubbish outside on a Tuesday morning is littering, its litter until the rubbish dudes comes later and collects it.

Me and you throwing a goo packet on the road is disgusting! I would never do it! I campaign against it. But calling the worlds best cyclist "ditry pigs" for it? Bit harsh.

If me and you litter is its because we are lazy dirty inconsiderate pigs! Agreed, but if they do it it is because they are trying to win the worlds toughest races and their jobs depend on it. And lets face it, if there was no people cleaning it up, they would have been told to stop.... Basically what I am saying is that even though the action is the same, the consequence is not.

Life is not as black and white as what you are trying to make it. If it makes your life easier doing this then go ahead, but painting everybody with the same brush? Not really the reality of the matter.

If I ever see Froome throwing an ice-cream paper on the ground on a rest day, I will call him a dirty pig, but if I see him throw a bottle.wrapper away half way up Ventoux, I will simply just pick it up for him and cheer as he goes by.

I would love to hear what you would say if a bunch of cyclists came past your house and threw a bunch of goo packets on your front lawn.

I would love to hear what you would say if a bunch of cyclists came past your house and threw a bunch of goo packets on your front lawn.

Eugene when did this happen to you?

If so, I`m really just glad you made it back to tell the tale

Loads of cyclist passing my house daily.  Must say never had this problem....

Must be only you.  :rolleyes:

Blah Blah Blah.....

Long story short.

Eugene. 

Do you know why people on the Hub are all of a sudden pro littering?

Because you went and did the "name calling" thing.

You could have asked a question stating that you saw this horrible littering incident and etc etc.

Or "Do you find it acceptable?" blah etc blah.

Instead you went the "Dirty pigs" route. 

Not conducive to logic reasoning on the hub............

Good luck with that.  :clap:

Wonder who makes more of a mess on Le Tour, spectators or riders? 

Eugene can comment, sounds like he has a house just on the left of this picture

http://cdn.coresites.factorymedia.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/sky.jpg

Edited by escapee..

I would love for the Tour de France to come past my house, would be incredible!!

Me - I don't get it. Post race clean up up or not it's not a big deal putting the empty wrapper back in your pocket or trying to throw the bottles out in designated trash zones.

The real impact on the environment is not really an issue I just don't enjoy the "toss it when you're done with it" approach in any race. TdF or not.

Must be licking your lips, seems like you've got a live one here... 

http://replygif.net/i/819.gif