The NON-LCHF thread

jcza

What do you think works for you ito grams of carbs/kg/per hour of solid training?

During a hard training week I aim for 60% of daily intake which is adjusted for training. Normal daily target is 1600kcals and I'll add on whatever is expended to arrive at adjusted target. Also have a look at infographic. What is clear to me now is that I never fuelled properly for training previously. Far too many fasted training rides which meant I took days to recover. 

post-32242-0-15157600-1439534535_thumb.png

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

problem - 2 weeks study period. Not enough time to become fat adapted (according to wht I've read - I'm not a proponent of hte diet) and long term effects aren't recorded...

You don't need to become 'fat-adapted' to use fat as fuel. It happens all day every day to all of us. The thinking that high intensity exercise can be fuelled by fat is a myth. 

You don't need to become 'fat-adapted' to use fat as fuel. It happens all day every day to all of us. The thinking that high intensity exercise can be fuelled by fat is a myth. 

oh, i agree there. You need carbs for the High intensity stuff. No doubt there. If you're just dieselling along, fat is fine.

What I'm saying though is that the low carb vs low fat study wasn't long enough to develop any definitive results - you know yourself how short a 2 week period is ito diet and the fluctuations that can occur... 

oh, i agree there. You need carbs for the High intensity stuff. No doubt there. If you're just dieselling along, fat is fine.

What I'm saying though is that the low carb vs low fat study wasn't long enough to develop any definitive results - you know yourself how short a 2 week period is ito diet and the fluctuations that can occur... 

Agreed.... although I think the purpose of the study was to determine optimal strategy for weight loss 

Agreed.... although I think the purpose of the study was to determine optimal strategy for weight loss 

yeah - though again, 2 weeks does not a definitive result make, and then for them to switch for another 2 weeks... 

This is the eating plan I've structured for myself for the next 4 weeks.

On certain days, depending on work circumstances, I'll alter meals after lunch time to suit training.

Most of the carbs are eaten between breakfast and lunch, then phased out from after lunch, as the body's metabolic rate tends to slow down.

On the day preceding a race, I'll consume carbs with each meal of the day to make sure glycogen levels are topped off.

After 4 weeks I'll manipulate carbs and perhaps restructure the plan to suit training intensities, and to make necessary adjustments to where I feel I am physique wise.

I'll show the changes to the diet.

The 1st 4 weeks is also just to get into it and for my body to have time to adapt to the changes in nutrition.

I plan to start the carb cycling in the 2nd and 3rd 4 week phases.

I weighed myself on Tuesday after Clover Tour, and was 82kg's, but had a lot of water in my legs.

Thursday I was down to 80. I generally weigh myself once a week, on the same day, at the same time. This week I was just interested to see how much water I had in damaged legs and how long I'd hold it for.

My goal is to get to 70kg's or less in the next 12 weeks.

We looked at a bit of data (well, just a Strava segment or 2 for comparison, so very rough/basic), and up the God's Window climb, my power was very similar to that of the okes that were leading the vets race. only thing is, I'm at a 12-16kg weight deficit. So getting rid of 10-12kg's will certainly make a big difference. I can definitely lose that much without sacrificing muscle/strength/power.

Not gonna start a blog, I'll just post here, and apologies if posting progress here is a bit of a hijack, but this kind of keeps me accountable and will stop me from cheating, if "HubWorld" is watching.

Bazza Diet.pdf

The problem that I have is that there are so much studies about this topic (weight loss) that contradict other studies and then you get the experts (doctors, profs, dieticians, nutritionists etc) that criticise each other studies, that our mere mortals are totally confused.

At the end of the day we are all unique and one must find out by way of trial end error what works for you and not.

Just stick to a basic, healthy life style and if one don't know what is healthy, well then nothing will help I'm afraid.      

This is the eating plan I've structured for myself for the next 4 weeks.

On certain days, depending on work circumstances, I'll alter meals after lunch time to suit training.

Most of the carbs are eaten between breakfast and lunch, then phased out from after lunch, as the body's metabolic rate tends to slow down.

On the day preceding a race, I'll consume carbs with each meal of the day to make sure glycogen levels are topped off.

After 4 weeks I'll manipulate carbs and perhaps restructure the plan to suit training intensities, and to make necessary adjustments to where I feel I am physique wise.

I'll show the changes to the diet.

The 1st 4 weeks is also just to get into it and for my body to have time to adapt to the changes in nutrition.

I plan to start the carb cycling in the 2nd and 3rd 4 week phases.

I weighed myself on Tuesday after Clover Tour, and was 82kg's, but had a lot of water in my legs.

Thursday I was down to 80. I generally weigh myself once a week, on the same day, at the same time. This week I was just interested to see how much water I had in damaged legs and how long I'd hold it for.

My goal is to get to 70kg's or less in the next 12 weeks.

We looked at a bit of data (well, just a Strava segment or 2 for comparison, so very rough/basic), and up the God's Window climb, my power was very similar to that of the okes that were leading the vets race. only thing is, I'm at a 12-16kg weight deficit. So getting rid of 10-12kg's will certainly make a big difference. I can definitely lose that much without sacrificing muscle/strength/power.

Not gonna start a blog, I'll just post here, and apologies if posting progress here is a bit of a hijack, but this kind of keeps me accountable and will stop me from cheating, if "HubWorld" is watching.

attachicon.gifBazza Diet.pdf

Do you know what your net calorie intake is? 

I haven't taken my nutrition almanac out yet to look at what the biological values in terms of intake are. I'll do it this week.

I basically took an old bodybuilding plan of mine, and chopped down the macro amounts to quantities that will promote weight/fat loss as opposed to muscle gain.

My rate of activity and average daily calorie expenditure is way higher than when I was bodybuilding, so I'm going on experience and pretty much assuming my calories out are far greater than my calories in at the moment.

I'm eating more meals a day than when I was on LCHF, and I'm pretty hungry before each meal, which is generally a good sign for me.

I haven't taken my nutrition almanac out yet to look at what the biological values in terms of intake are. I'll do it this week.

I basically took an old bodybuilding plan of mine, and chopped down the macro amounts to quantities that will promote weight/fat loss as opposed to muscle gain.

My rate of activity and average daily calorie expenditure is way higher than when I was bodybuilding, so I'm going on experience and pretty much assuming my calories out are far greater than my calories in at the moment.

I'm eating more meals a day than when I was on LCHF, and I'm pretty hungry before each meal, which is generally a good sign for me.

Watching with interest 

Actually NOT, people with insulin resistance body's have "forgotten" how to "burn" fat and hence they get the cravings and feel hungry.

LCHF it NOT for everyone, it is for people who have a problem....like high blood pressure, you are not going to take medication if you do not have the condition.

Also, no-one EVER said that LCHF makes you a faster athlete. It is ONLY a way for fatties to loose some weight and still compete(but that said) if they loose the weight, they will be faster

Actually NOT, people with insulin resistance body's have "forgotten" how to "burn" fat and hence they get the cravings and feel hungry.

LCHF it NOT for everyone, it is for people who have a problem....like high blood pressure, you are not going to take medication if you do not have the condition.

Also, no-one EVER said that LCHF makes you a faster athlete. It is ONLY a way for fatties to loose some weight and still compete(but that said) if they loose the weight, they will be faster

I thought IR causes blood sugar problems and its carb related hence the need to go on a High Fat diet?

Don't be so sure that you will be faster if you lose weight. I was 5% lighter but approx. 10% slower. 

Just a random FYI: for the past 1.5 years I've been doing the post-exercise-Futurelife-shake-thing. (modified version of a recipe supplied on the box). Today I decided to measure the nutritional value of carbs and protein.

The 500 ml mixture of Futurelife, PB, banana, cocoa, instant coffee and milk provides about 78g of carbs and 30g of Protein - coming very close to the g/kg carb & 15-30g Protein intake as recommended by Popular Mechanics (2015).  ;)

I found this interesting and felt the need to share my Kombuis-wiskunde 101 experiment.

Archived