The NON-LCHF thread

jcza

Speak for your self, not others.

A quick check on strava reveals that for the last 4 weeks, you averaged 37 km per week. JCZA averaged 281 km. If you were to try do the distance he is doing, you would not cope on fats and protein alone.

I'm sure that LCHF will work for the amount of training you are doing. But not everyone trains the same amount as you

Have you seen the weather in cape town the last 4 weeks... :P

Not to sure about LCHF not working for longer distances. Guys are doing the epic on LCHF. Don't know how well they do but they do finish

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did say apply common sense. If you tried to eat the food a world tour ride rats on one day at the tour you would be sick for a few days. There is a great video in the interwebs showing this in detail ;)

:thumbup:

LCHF does not make you faster....

Dropping weight does make you faster...... but for max race performance, you need carbs as fuel....

(even Tim says this....)

This is probably one of the best posts I have ever read.

This is also different from "training and racing to eat" which is more my thing.... :)

yep. Same.

And now due to be FAR more balanced now that I've got a regular tri-weekly ride. 

The loss of Tokai really, really hurt. Was there 3 to 4 times a week. Since then - once or twice a month at times. And gym, as much as it's an option, well - yeah. It's not. 

Not to sure about LCHF not working for longer distances. Guys are doing the epic on LCHF. Don't know how well they do but they do finish

You won't find them in the front 5%... but they are not following a NO carb diet - not by any means - remember this:

Current thinking is that you should not LIVE on a high carb diet - especially not on a refined carbohydrate diet - so reducing refined carbs is definately the way to go - EXCEPT - during a race (or high intensity training session) if you are trying to squeeze the last 3 - 5% of performance out of a well conditioned body AND for an event of over 2 hours, then DURING the event, you must ingest carbs (and for multi day events, then some protein and fats too)

Anybody that says they ride the Epic on LCHF only is definately self supporting - because those food tables have almost nothing that fits the definition of LCHF.....

So - the way to go (in my opinion) is:

LIVE on LCHF

RACE on carbs (and for HIIT sessions)

You won't find them in the front 5%... but they are not following a NO carb diet - not by any means - remember this:

Current thinking is that you should not LIVE on a high carb diet - especially not on a refined carbohydrate diet - so reducing refined carbs is definately the way to go - EXCEPT - during a race (or high intensity training session) if you are trying to squeeze the last 3 - 5% of performance out of a well conditioned body AND for an event of over 2 hours, then DURING the event, you must ingest carbs (and for multi day events, then some protein and fats too)

Anybody that says they ride the Epic on LCHF only is definately self supporting - because those food tables have almost nothing that fits the definition of LCHF.....

So - the way to go (in my opinion) is:

LIVE on LCHF

RACE on carbs (and for HIIT sessions)

Read Sean Badenhorsts views after doing the Epic... he's been on the low carb train for quite a while. It's all very well summarized and makes perfect sense to me  :thumbup:

http://www.treadmtb.co.za/nutrition-fat-adapted-racing-ive-learned/

I just completed my second attempt at LCHF. Some of you might have seen my blog when I was doing the Smack the Fat Challenge with Atkins SA. I don't want to hijack the LCHF thread but the blog is continuing and I'll post updates here. 

http://eatingtotrain.blogspot.com/2015/07/back-on-carbs.html

Summary: If you're an endurance athlete carbs make you faster. 

So basically the next time we go to the Baron my chips are in danger?

See, I always told you chips are good for you.

I am on this diet.  What it did for me was taking "bonking" out of the equation.  I did one full ironman on a few bars and gels.

However now when I race I eat everything I see and my times are improving remarkably.  My body sees carbs as a massive bonus on race day.

Read Sean Badenhorsts views after doing the Epic... he's been on the low carb train for quite a while. It's all very well summarized and makes perfect sense to me  :thumbup:

What Sean ate during the Epic is NOT LCHF.... not even close...

To quote "I would then drink three or four cups of plain water and eat 2-3 baby potatoes. And that would carry me"

Work out the carb content of a baby potatoe please..... then weigh it....

There are 2 basic ways you can take carbs:

1 - in the bottle, and 2 - via solid foods - and Sean does both - Epic Pro is a carb/protein mix, and potatoes are next best to 100% carbs.

The trick is to:

1 - take enough carbs (remember that the Epic is not raced at 100% max efforts all the time)

2 - take enough fluid (not too much)

3 - take enough total calories (food) to not be hungry, but also not overfull, remembering that a pitstop is time lost, as is not recovering for the next day.

and - while doing the above,

a) NOT upset your stomach (because many people are very sensitive to refined carbs in large doses) and

b) take enough protein fats and electrolytes etc to enable optimal recover for the following day.

as well as:

Space out the feeding so that you don't "run empty" or "run dry" at any point....

Not always that easy.... :)

What Sean ate during the Epic is NOT LCHF.... not even close...

To quote "I would then drink three or four cups of plain water and eat 2-3 baby potatoes. And that would carry me"

Work out the carb content of a baby potatoe please..... then weigh it....

There are 2 basic ways you can take carbs:

1 - in the bottle, and 2 - via solid foods - and Sean does both - Epic Pro is a carb/protein mix, and potatoes are next best to 100% carbs.

The trick is to:

1 - take enough carbs (remember that the Epic is not raced at 100% max efforts all the time)

2 - take enough fluid (not too much)

3 - take enough total calories (food) to not be hungry, but also not overfull, remembering that a pitstop is time lost, as is not recovering for the next day.

and - while doing the above,

a) NOT upset your stomach (because many people are very sensitive to refined carbs in large doses) and

b) take enough protein fats and electrolytes etc to enable optimal recover for the following day.

as well as:

Space out the feeding so that you don't "run empty" or "run dry" at any point....

Not always that easy.... :)

I was agreeing with you  :thumbup: 

Sean agree's with you pretty much  ;)

Sean and v12man have got it right. Up to a certain intensity your body has time to metabolise fats. Higher than that and you're slowly using more energy than you can produce then BOOM you die.

Fat adapted is a great thing but you'll need to supplement with easy digestible energy if you want to race or train hard.

I was agreeing with you  :thumbup: 

Sean agree's with you pretty much  ;)

I know you agree - but Sean ascribes him having a good ride to being fat adapted.....

I would say that it's more likely he was just better conditioned and got his feeding right... and there is no more science to my contention than there is to his :)

SCIENTIFIC STUDIES are NOT done with 1 person..... NOT... NOT... NOT.... EVER...

otoh  - jumping to conclusions often is.....

I race High Carb but live a Low Carb lifestyle and it works for me.

I initially weighed 105 kgs and at my lowest now I weigh 65kgs. I feel that LCHF helps my body to use carbs more sparingly. During races I go EHC "Extremely High Carb" :-) and I feel it works for me.

LFHC on the bike and LCHF off the bike. I actaully start consuming carbs the day before an important race just to make sure I get there topped up ;-)

Edited by rpedro

I race High Carb but live a Low Carb lifestyle and it works for me.

I initially weighed 105 kgs and at my lowest now I weigh 65kgs. I feel that LCHF helps my body to use carbs more sparingly. During races I go EHC "Extremely High Carb" :-) and I feel it works for me.

LFHC on the bike and LCHF off the bike. I actaully start consuming carbs the day before an important race just to make sure I get there topped up ;-)

post-22004-0-16679300-1438248001_thumb.jpg

I think it is a sign of a mature athlete when you know what works for you regardless of popular myths, lies and other "facts".

Alternatively, it's a sign of maturity when you can dispense with the myth that you're an athlete and just enjoy yourself...