Listen up thespokesman - I am not a huge hubber and I don't have 20 years riding experience.

But I do respect the views of those hubbers that do have huge experience and take the time and effort to impart their valuable knowledge on the rest of us relative newbies.

And having read so "many, Many threads" I would have expected you to pick up on basic etiquette with public forums.

I certainly think an apology is in order from you. If you don't think so, there is no point explaining to you why an apology is appropriate and perhaps you should move on to another forum - maybe some bubblegum pop fan group for Justin Bieber or something. Why, you may ask? Because you come across as a spoilt 5 year old brat with zero EQ or respect for anything.

And no, I am not part of an inner-hub circle standing up for my buddies. Just an ordinary Joe who has taken the time to tell someone that they have seriously stepped out of line.

One thing you did get right though is to wait for a Friday before throwing your toys.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ag shame thespokeman you not gonna get much from the guys here with your awesome attitude,but hey you keep going as fast as you say.

Hi Spokesman, I think you are perhaps running at too high a pressure, deflate a bit, your ride will be more comfortable and your traction will improve. ;)

Attention, spokesman-with-the-chip-on-his-shoulder

This is what you're looking for.

http://www.pushys.com.au/media/bike-guides/Maxxis-Tyre-Selector-Guide-2012.png

Just a tip for the future, if you post on a forum looking for advice from those who know a shed-load more than you (martin, Deon etc) and then tell them they can only use one manufacturer from all those that they have tried and used over the years, then that isn't called asking for an opinion. All you had to do is look up Maxxis's own tyre application chart (like I did) and pick one that suits you. 

Advice would extend to things like advising you against a minion / ardent / whatever because they may not be the most up to date tyres, and there may be better performing tyres on the market from other manufacturers. Look to the guys on the Enduro World Series and the UCI DH World Cup circuit, where they have historically taken Schwalbe tyres and used a permanent marker to black out the names, because they're sponsored by other tyre manufacturers. 

It'd be like you coming to me to invest some cash, but ONLY confining yourself to Sanlam. Clue - that would be bad, seeing as they are amongst the highest chargers of administration and management fees in the market. It wouldn't be proper advice. 

So - before you flip your lid again, take a breath, and ask yourself if you want ADVICE, or if you just want to test tyres from all manufacturers yourself in order to form an opinion. The former could give you a selection of 3 to 4 tyres (maybe 8 or so as a max) from people who have already performed the latter investigation. 

At the moment, you're trying to do the latter. For which you don't need ADVICE, nor opinion. All you need to do is have a look at that lovely little picture I posted above, and find a stockist of the tyres that fit your riding style. 

Good day.

Attention, spokesman-with-the-chip-on-his-shoulder

This is what you're looking for.

http://www.pushys.com.au/media/bike-guides/Maxxis-Tyre-Selector-Guide-2012.png

Just a tip for the future, if you post on a forum looking for advice from those who know a shed-load more than you (martin, Deon etc) and then tell them they can only use one manufacturer from all those that they have tried and used over the years, then that isn't called asking for an opinion. All you had to do is look up Maxxis's own tyre application chart (like I did) and pick one that suits you.

Advice would extend to things like advising you against a minion / ardent / whatever because they may not be the most up to date tyres, and there may be better performing tyres on the market from other manufacturers. Look to the guys on the Enduro World Series and the UCI DH World Cup circuit, where they have historically taken Schwalbe tyres and used a permanent marker to black out the names, because they're sponsored by other tyre manufacturers.

It'd be like you coming to me to invest some cash, but ONLY confining yourself to Sanlam. Clue - that would be bad, seeing as they are amongst the highest chargers of administration and management fees in the market. It wouldn't be proper advice.

So - before you flip your lid again, take a breath, and ask yourself if you want ADVICE, or if you just want to test tyres from all manufacturers yourself in order to form an opinion. The former could give you a selection of 3 to 4 tyres (maybe 8 or so as a max) from people who have already performed the latter investigation.

At the moment, you're trying to do the latter. For which you don't need ADVICE, nor opinion. All you need to do is have a look at that lovely little picture I posted above, and find a stockist of the tyres that fit your riding style.

Good day.

You could have condensed all of that down to

'Stop being a twat'

Just saying...

Only because I love Maxxis !

2.25 Ardent on the rear and 2.4  High roller II up front

but saying that - lately been rolling the WTB trail boss on rear and Conti Trail king up front and just as good

but what I really wanted to say  was....

spokesman - what a **** u are !

Hello fellow mountain bikers.

I have read though many, MANY threads regarding mountain bike tyres, yet I am just as confused as before. In fact, I am probably more confused than ever before. What I have concluded is that its 50% preference, and 50% required riding type (terrain).

With having said that, I am in search of advice for selecting the most appropriate tyres for me specifically. I live in Cape Town, and I ride mostly single track. I am 25, and weigh approximately 75kg (185cm tall). I am not a pro (no duh...), but I like to think I go pretty quickly down the single tracks, although I only started riding last year November. I ride a Large 2014 Giant Trance 02, which has a 650B 27.5" wheel-set.

PLEASE NOTE: I am looking for Maxxis tyre options and combinations ONLY! If you are going to contribute to this thread, please comment with a combination of both front AND rear tyre options, rather than saying things like "aah, why Maxxis?", or "Continental is much better!" etc etc etc. I have used Continental's on my previous bike, and I am wanting to try out Maxxis tyres in particular, so please just accept that, and give me constructive advice... If any.

Thank you in advance to those who find the time to give me genuine options and combinations ;)

Here is a photo of my exact bike below:

Hiya thespokesman!

I'm going to chime in here and ask why specifically Maxxis - I may have missed it, but I didn't read a post explaining this? What lead you to decide that you only want to look at this brand having previously only tried Conti's? Should we be limiting the responses to Maxxis options as you've requested, I'd back Rennaisance Man's suggestion.

On a typical TheHub note - congrats on getting through two bikes since November. True Hub style  :thumbup: .

As for the attitude. You'll get a lot further, a lot quicker respecting everyones advice. You're ALWAYS going to get troll responses. ALWAYS. But the likes of Rennaisance Man, Martin, MK etc are offering genuine comments and attempting to engage with you to offer an appropriate solution. My guess is they too are wondering why you've limited the tyre choice to one brand, especially being a relative noob (absolutely no disrespect intended) to cycling. These sort of specific queries usually come from guys that have been through the mill.

A title change to "Maxxis 650B Tyre/ Choice / Options" might attract more relevant interest too.

Lol, this is a great thread. I think you should only take advice from people on this thread who actually own a mountain bike and actually ride one. Believe it or not there are some people on this thread who don't comply with this requirement!  :whistling:  :clap:

Maxxis tyres are great. Try a DHR 2  - they work well front and back, grip like crazy and aren't overly draggy in my experience ( only used it on the back so far) but have it on good authority they work front too.

Carry on Spokesman!

Lol, this is a great thread. I think you should only take advice from people on this thread who actually own a mountain bike and actually ride one. Believe it or not there are some people on this thread who don't comply with this requirement!  :whistling:  :clap:

Maxxis tyres are great. Try a DHR 2  - they work well front and back, grip like crazy and aren't overly draggy in my experience ( only used it on the back so far) but have it on good authority they work front too.

Carry on Spokesman!

:thumbup:  :clap:  :thumbup:

To be honest this sounds a lot like my job....

Me: Hi, I would like a product in XXXX range with these characteristics......

Supplier: Hi, how about this product with these (different) characteristics instead....

Me: No, (repeat myself)

Supplier: But this is better...

Me: Good bye

And my wife wonders why I'm a grumpy sod sometimes....

Carry on Spokesman!

This thread has been a good laugh.

Haven't tried the DHR but I did have ardents a while back and I really liked them

To be honest this sounds a lot like my job....

Me: Hi, I would like a product in XXXX range with these characteristics......

Supplier: Hi, how about this product with these (different) characteristics instead....

Me: No, (repeat myself)

Supplier: But this is better...

Me: Good bye

And my wife wonders why I'm a grumpy sod sometimes....

I really wanted to offer him a 29" Kenda Small Block8 set of tyres as I thought they would've been perfect!!!

Hi spokes - I second most of the comments (lol) but I am/was a Maxxis fan from 26 tyres for trail riding but could not convince myself that Maxxis made the right tyre for a 27.5; the same bike as yours.

So I agree with "You are going to battle to find any decent 27.5 maxxis tyres"; particularly if you are going to run tubeless.  Unless you are looking for what I think is a downhill tyre the DHR II. But you will add 500g per wheel over what I consider to be non-Maxxis tough trail tyres.

Archived