Hi all,

Need some advice please. I broke my clavicle on Sunday during Die Burger MTB. This is my first injury on this scale. I am going for an operation tomorrow, Fri 07-Aug. Those who have experienced broken clavicles before, how long is the average recovery? I have entered the K2C, which is 6 weeks after the operation. Will I still be able to participate under normal recovery conditions? Your inputs will be much appreciated.

thks/brgds

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was back on the bike in 5 weeks...problem is going to be not losing too much fitness in the interim...hope you have an IDT which you can get on almost immediately

What is the nature of the break?

It is just broken at one spot or two?

Are the pieces still inline or protruding past each other?

I broke mine in two places and needed a 6 hole plate installed. Everyone told me 8 weeks and sure enough, after 8 weeks it was suddenly mended, but the physio then starts as it is as weak as hell.

If you only going in for an op tomorrow (and you can type), it is probably not too bad, but I would not bank on K2C in six weeks. If you land on it again before it is mended you have real bugger up on your hands.

Edited by Baracuda

Good choice on just going for the op! Much better than struggling to get it healed naturally. Cuts the recovery time down dramatically.

I was virtually fully functional again in about 6 weeks (didn't have an IDT at the time though, so I lost out on fitness there).

Will be healed in 6 weeks , but will be very tender still .

If you take it easy K2C will be ok , but have my doubts about racing it !!

Ja I was off the bike for a good 8 weeks in the beginning of the year, but they didn't operate, but you should be able to cycle K2c just don't crash. This is if they plate it.

Hi all,

Need some advice please. I broke my clavicle on Sunday during Die Burger MTB. This is my first injury on this scale. I am going for an operation tomorrow, Fri 07-Aug. Those who have experienced broken clavicles before, how long is the average recovery? I have entered the K2C, which is 6 weeks after the operation. Will I still be able to participate under normal recovery conditions? Your inputs will be much appreciated.

thks/brgds

Hi there,

Broke my right clavicle on the 26th July and had surgery last week Thursday. Got a plate with 6 screws. My orto told me 12 weeks no riding. Will spin as soon as I can. Week since surgery and still sore. Seeing dr again next week. Hope the pain will be gone by then. Good luck with the surgery. Let me know how it went.

post-51800-0-55313700-1438863595_thumb.jpg

post-51800-0-44818400-1438863620_thumb.jpg

Guest notmyname

Ja I was off the bike for a good 8 weeks in the beginning of the year, but they didn't operate, but you should be able to cycle K2c just don't crash. This is if they plate it.

Aaaah, "Just don't crash" those famous last words. You know they rank right up there with "Hou my bier, en check hierie move".

Very much depends on the severity of the break, my neighbor had a clean break but still went the op route, was back on the MTB in 7 days (mainly green routes for a while though), another mate took around 6 weeks to get comfortable enough to ride.

I think everyone has summed it up. You will likely be able to ride after 6 weeks. BUT: you will have lost fitness (IDT or not) and the area will be tender and weak. If you fall again, even if it is a small fall...

I was in the same boat and ended up choosing not to ride the race event though I felt well enough to. I erred on the side of caution - rather allowing the wound to strength. I didn't feel like coughing up another R12k in medical bills for a small fall...

Ask your surgeon. Most likely he will tell you that it is a bad idea.

Did that, properly, had the plate & screws, 2 weeks later started on the IDT, rode W2W 8 weeks after, but took it easy and rode like a wuz not to crash. Was tough on the upper body and muscles and tendons took a hammering. Perhaps my age also counted against me? Not exactly a spring chicken anymore.

Aaaah, "Just don't crash" those famous last words. You know they rank right up there with "Hou my bier, en check hierie move".

That's how I got injured minus the beer. Check hierdie move and I ate dirt.

What is the nature of the break?

It is just broken at one spot or two?

Are the pieces still inline or protruding past each other?

I broke mine in two places and needed a 6 hole plate installed. Everyone told me 8 weeks and sure enough, after 8 weeks it was suddenly mended, but the physio then starts as it is as weak as hell.

If you only going in for an op tomorrow (and you can type), it is probably not too bad, but I would not bank on K2C in six weeks. If you land on it again before it is mended you have real bugger up on your hands.

Thanks, broken in once place and protruding past each other. I also need a plate. Fingers crossed.

Will be healed in 6 weeks , but will be very tender still .

If you take it easy K2C will be ok , but have my doubts about racing it !!

Thanks. Entered with the hope of smashing my time from last year. but coming off the injury, will take it very easy and just finish, and accompany my mates.