Ironman 70.3 East London 2016

fanievb

Good luck all.  Enjoy and stop giving in to the urge to check the weather forecast every hour!  :devil:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The beer is nice and cold at the Majestic  :thumbup:

Looks like a nice weather day on Sunday, much prefer 20SW wind to last years blowfest.

Good luck to all. The most important is to have fun!

Thanks.

First time for me, so I'm super nervous. Up until 6 months ago I couldn't swim more than 4 lengths of a pool, so you can imagine which leg I'm most worried about.

I have always been a good swimmer but in one of the triathlons about 2 years ago(at the same place) I swam in a surfing wetsuit and couldnt breathe properly, had to get taken back in by the lifeguards.

That broke my mental confidence in sea swims for a while after it so I know all about it and getting over it.

Something to remember for this, its going to be cold. 

Its going to take your breath away when you first dive in and the initial effort is going to freak you out a little.

Just take the first 100m super easy and be ready for it, breathe on *every* stroke, not just every second or 3rd, you can get into normal breathing when you settle in.

Its going to be great, take the swim easy and just get through it, you can start pushing a little when you get on to the bike. Its a great event with an even better atmosphere.

I saw a bunch of cars arriving with bikes on today and have seen quite a few people out doing some easy cycling.

I love the weekend around this race, so many people all worked up for it!

So by now Im sure everyone has their bikes checked in and is getting ready for the race.

Popped past the beach front a little earlier to see what was happening and there were lots of people checking in bikes.

I think some of the out of town drivers are battling with the mini circles that EL seems to like putting up and the rules around them :P

So by now Im sure everyone has their bikes checked in and is getting ready for the race.

Popped past the beach front a little earlier to see what was happening and there were lots of people checking in bikes.

I think some of the out of town drivers are battling with the mini circles that EL seems to like putting up and the rules around them :P

Yip bike checked in, bags hung up and race briefing done.

Now lying on bed with butterflies resting legs for d day! Just to think - exactly 1 year ago I didn't own a road bike and couldn't ride 20km on my Mtb ????

Damn that was hard work, rain and headwind for most of the cycle and the sun came out just in time to cook us on the run!... I need to do more hill work as that bunkers hill had me walking it.... epic fail. Finished in 6.37, could have been better, took it too easy on the cycle... but happy with my first EL race

First Ironman 70.3 done!!! Flip it one amazing event!

Really really really struggled on the swim which is completely surprising cause I'm a swimmer ????

But I finished it! Ran my first 21k ever today so all in all a good achievement I think!

Time 7:44 so I'm happy ????

Was a tough day out there especially on the run.

Had a good swim and cycle but the wheels fell off properly on the run.

Started struggling to breathe at the last turn, finished and made a b-line for the medics. Had gastro intestinal inflammation (whatever that means)

Got some meds and and ice bath and feeling a bit better.

Not really want I wanted but got a 7h22

Well done to everyone that took part

Started struggling to breathe at the last turn, finished and made a b-line for the medics. Had gastro intestinal inflammation (whatever that means)

Well done Fanie. I might just need to chat to you about doing a IM. If John Smit can do it..........

Well done Fanie!

My hubby woke up at 3am this morning with jippo guts and I developed it on the run ????

Shew made for some hard slog on the run but you know what Fanie

WE DID IT!! ????

Edit: spelling

Well done Fanie. I might just need to chat to you about doing a IM. If John Smit can do it..........

I'm only half crazy [emoji85]

Well done do all. Congrat's on an excellent achievement, especially BB on here 1st 70.3, First 21km (HM) ever.

One day I will join you guys

nice one guys. Conditions were tough and its a tough event to commence with so finishing it is legendary.

Enjoy the rest and afterglow....

Archived