ScottCM

Comrades Medical Statistics for 2016 Comrades Race Day

1 Jun 2016

http://www.runnersworld.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/13322156_10153774834692753_6201507483546598215_n-300x225.jpg

The Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) has released the medical statistics for the 91st Comrades Marathon, held on Sunday, 29 May 2016. CMA Medical Convener, Jeremy Boulter says 425 runners were treated at the Comrades Medical Tent, and about 250 at the St Johns Tent. Two patients were treated for hyperthermia in the Medical Tent.

Netcare’s St Augustines Hospital in Durban treated 65 patients, 9 of whom were admitted to the ICU. The ICU patients were essentially admitted as cardiac patients. There were no heart attacks. People who had some cardiac related symptoms were admitted for further observation and investigation. The remaining athletes were mainly treated for dehydration, apart from a few other minor problems; and were discharged.

Netcare’s Umhlanga Hospital in Durban North treated 9 runners, 4 of whom were in ICU. The rest were mainly dehydrated and have since been discharged.

Boulter says, ‘We had a good day in the Medical Tent. We were busier than usual but experienced no major problems. He adds that everything went smoothly. The Comrades Medical Tent itself was never overloaded, and we coped extremely well. We treated about 3% of the field in both tents, which is about as expected.’

Boulter adds, ‘We would like to thank our medical sponsors, Netcare and Adcock Ingram for their unwavering support and sponsorship. We are also extremely grateful to all of our doctors, physios, paramedics and all other medical staff and volunteers who assisted our runners on race day.’

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Further to my previous post I do know a Comrades runner passed away a few days after the event due to some stomach complications. Don't know anything further, always sad to hear though  :( 
It's definitely a massive physical challenge - how risky it is I am not so sure if you are properly prepped and don't do anything ill advised... id say the drive down is more treacherous 

Vinny?? looks like you got that Bill  :clap:  if that is indeed you in the results sheet...

Hey Stretch - yea baby - managed to sneak in there. Not an easy day at all - knew I was in for a long day when by Ashburton I was feeling tired and uncomfortable. Locked it down and pulled Rule #5 all the way to the sea. Was on that 6min/km from Umkumaas already - would win time on the down and loose it on the up hills. At 15km to go I had 1min in the bag if I could keep 6min/km - hard going. Decided not to look at the watch after toll gate. Took a final look at 1km to go and had 11min to do it. Stopped to say hi to my family at ICC and finished up. No medal yet - apparently they will courier it off. long ass day to spend in the hurtbox!!!!

Hey Stretch - yea baby - managed to sneak in there. Not an easy day at all - knew I was in for a long day when by Ashburton I was feeling tired and uncomfortable. Locked it down and pulled Rule #5 all the way to the sea. Was on that 6min/km from Umkumaas already - would win time on the down and loose it on the up hills. At 15km to go I had 1min in the bag if I could keep 6min/km - hard going. Decided not to look at the watch after toll gate. Took a final look at 1km to go and had 11min to do it. Stopped to say hi to my family at ICC and finished up. No medal yet - apparently they will courier it off. long ass day to spend in the hurtbox!!!!

Did they run out of Bill Rowan medals? or is it a back to back medal that they will send you?

PS, Congrats, a Bill Rowan is still an amazing achievement, hell completion even if outside the cut off time is amazing.

Edited by ScottC-M

Brilliant...that means you were managing a better time/km for those last 5 kms!

Did they run out of Bill Rowan medals? or is it a back to back medal that they will send you?

PS, Congrats, a Bill Rowan is still an amazing achievement, hell completion even if outside the cut off time is amazing.

they ran out of Bill Rowans and Silvers...imagine getting a silver and then not being handed the medal!

obviously the silver and gold medals are awesome...but for use mere mortals I really like the Bill rowan.....although I was a little disappointed with last years...which was a bit like a fun run medal - glad to see it was back to the silver/bronze as it is meant to be this year

13269434_1783315815221009_1201607095_n.j

obviously the silver and gold medals are awesome...but for use mere mortals I really like the Bill rowan.....although I was a little disappointed with last years...which was a bit like a fun run medal - glad to see it was back to the silver/bronze as it is meant to be this year

13269434_1783315815221009_1201607095_n.j

Yip - they ran out - apparently it will be sent off next week.

If i may be a douche - Stretch, I think that 2015 medal look `the tits` - would swap my 2016  for a 2015 anytime. But neither there nor here - its still sub 9, Ill take it with a smile!

Last 5km was run on anger and fear of missing BR exclusively!!!!!! 

Yip - they ran out - apparently it will be sent off next week.

If i may be a douche - Stretch, I think that 2015 medal look `the tits` - would swap my 2016  for a 2015 anytime. But neither there nor here - its still sub 9, Ill take it with a smile!

Last 5km was run on anger and fear of missing BR exclusively!!!!!! 

ha ha...they both awesome cos of what they represent....you gonna have to experience the up next year Vinny and get that back to back...the up run is much easier in my opinion...well easier on the body anyway

Ferret...show us that silver!!

Haha I was just responding ...  pic now added

Also Kinda agree the 90th 2015 Bill Rowan Medal was very pretty, but something about the tiny little Comrades medal makes it more real..

Building all my Colours nicely now with a Bronze, 2 x Rowans and  Silver

Up Silver Next Year...  then I'm on 5.... and the big call to Stop their or Go for 10...

post-30019-0-92084600-1465455155_thumb.jpg

Ferret...show us that silver!!

Ill take a picture of just the actual Medal tonight and post it morrow... But the BR is still prettier in my opinion.

Also schmaak that 2015 Bill Rowan  :thumbup: 
It is though about so much more, it's all about what it represents... they could hand me a petrified stool on a piece of string at the finish and I'd still be as happy as muck!