ScottCM

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Around 2:10 for the first 21km, then the second will depend on legs and how they hold out. Hoping for something 4:30'sh

Going on your Dischem time I would say you are probably ready for a marathon. How were you feeling at the end of Dischem? Keep in mind Johnsons is a far easier run... It's a whole new kettle of fish though regardless - you will not really be ready until you start testing those deeper waters. A bit of afkak is not the worst thing in the world though - a big part of Comrades prep is learning to run in pain. Learning to manage the pain and the psychology of it all. Nobody runs Comrades without fighting some serious mental demons.

Are you thinking of doing a 30 sometime soon to manage the jump? That would be nice, I just haven't found the time, and it's far to go solo. It would be the ideal move though.

Last thing to consider, Johnsons is laps, so if you're not on a good day you can bail at 21... but it would be crap to be feeling great at 21km and then finish and wonder... Give it some thought. Obviously don't rush it, but just from my view, Pick n Pay in two weeks, while giving more prep time, it's also a fair bit tougher. Johnsons/Vaal are nice easy ones you want to get going with.

Your call obviously, just some ramblings from me  ;) 

Hey Andrew

Thanks for the feedback

I was feeling strong after Dis-Chem I don't know if I was feeling strong enough to run another 21km though. 

I've entered the Pick n Pay marathon and will hopefully do a 30km + club run next week just to prepare for the marathon. I'm concerned if I push the 42km this weekend I could injure myself and be out of training for a while, where I would rather have a bit more millage in my legs and then tackle the PnP marathon.

Hey Andrew

Thanks for the feedback

I was feeling strong after Dis-Chem I don't know if I was feeling strong enough to run another 21km though. 

I've entered the Pick n Pay marathon and will hopefully do a 30km + club run next week just to prepare for the marathon. I'm concerned if I push the 42km this weekend I could injure myself and be out of training for a while, where I would rather have a bit more millage in my legs and then tackle the PnP marathon.

Sounds like a good plan  :thumbup:

Thanks Andrew

Good luck with your run will hopefully see you either at the start or at the finish  :thumbup:

Lekker, must try meet up... I run for Old Eds. I think you run for Sunninghill Striders? Or was it Fourways...

Interesting comment about the NB shoes.

I find them the only brand that fits my wide foot (right foot somewhat wider than lefty) and also gives me room when the hoofs start swelling on hot days. I personally cant fit  Adi's, Nike's/Sauc or any of the other good running shoes.

My NB Leadville 100's have given me great service the past two years.

just goes to show how different we are.

Ok so finally got around to charging my camera and getting on a treadmill to illustrate my comment about New Balance Shoes 1080V5 Vs the Asics Nimbus 18 (2E) . Asics (2E) range is a wider shoe which naturally allows for more square toes such as the New Balance shoes. Lets start off with weight, The New Balance is much lighter at 662g , whereas the Asics come in at 774g for the pair. The New Balance has an 8mm Drop whereas the Asics has a 10mm Drop. 

First up, Asics 

post-46817-0-25470500-1485430441_thumb.jpg

post-46817-0-88475400-1485430456_thumb.jpg

Even though i pronate slightly, notice in the green block how the sole of the shoe gives stability to keep the structure of the shoe as vertical as possible. This Support does come at a cost though, if you kick your ankles like i do sometimes you know about it.

Now for the New Balance

post-46817-0-70042900-1485430557_thumb.jpg

post-46817-0-69023700-1485430577_thumb.jpg

Compare this to the asics and in the Red block you will clearly see how the sole of the shoe is so soft that it creates a "roll" effect for someone who pronates like i do. 

Before anyone asks about mileage, here is a screen shot of my retired shoes where you can see the NB had a mere 450kms

post-46817-0-64845300-1485430948_thumb.jpg

And for my Active Shoes, i liked the Nimbus , or shall i say the Nimbus suited my running flaws so i stuck to it and bought a second pair but this time not the (2E), just the regular fit and it is still new but seems to be just as good for me. I much prefer the Asics over the New Balance although Honestly, i wouldn't mind having a lower drop than the Asics but that is something i could investigate into when i need a new pair of Asics shoes or maybe even go back to Saucony as those too were a great brand for my running style even though they were the "Entry" level shoes when i first started wogging.  

post-46817-0-70357400-1485431057_thumb.jpg

Now this is by no means meant as a diss to anyone or their preference in shoes, but merely as a substantiation as to why i made the comments i did.

Hope this was at least worth the read.

Thank you Discovery Vitality... looking forward to some happy miles in comfort, and of course the cash back.

e196c465c42126fd42302315b1d8d1a8.jpg

May they serve you well bud, ignore my post above. Enjoy your new babies

Ok so finally got around to charging my camera and getting on a treadmill to illustrate my comment about New Balance Shoes 1080V5 Vs the Asics Nimbus 18 (2E) . Asics (2E) range is a wider shoe which naturally allows for more square toes such as the New Balance shoes. Lets start off with weight, The New Balance is much lighter at 662g , whereas the Asics come in at 774g for the pair. The New Balance has an 8mm Drop whereas the Asics has a 10mm Drop. 

First up, Asics 

attachicon.gifAsics Nimbus 18 (2E).jpg

attachicon.gifAsics.jpg

Even though i pronate slightly, notice in the green block how the sole of the shoe gives stability to keep the structure of the shoe as vertical as possible. This Support does come at a cost though, if you kick your ankles like i do sometimes you know about it.

Now for the New Balance

attachicon.gifNB.jpg

attachicon.gifNB 1080V5.jpg

Compare this to the asics and in the Red block you will clearly see how the sole of the shoe is so soft that it creates a "roll" effect for someone who pronates like i do. 

Before anyone asks about mileage, here is a screen shot of my retired shoes where you can see the NB had a mere 450kms

attachicon.gifRetired Shoes.jpg

And for my Active Shoes, i liked the Nimbus , or shall i say the Nimbus suited my running flaws so i stuck to it and bought a second pair but this time not the (2E), just the regular fit and it is still new but seems to be just as good for me. I much prefer the Asics over the New Balance although Honestly, i wouldn't mind having a lower drop than the Asics but that is something i could investigate into when i need a new pair of Asics shoes or maybe even go back to Saucony as those too were a great brand for my running style even though they were the "Entry" level shoes when i first started wogging.  

attachicon.gifActive Shoes.jpg

Now this is by no means meant as a diss to anyone or their preference in shoes, but merely as a substantiation as to why i made the comments i did.

Hope this was at least worth the read.

Nice explanation.

I have run in Asics, and thankfully don't suffer the type of pronation you do. I specifically run in the ultra distance variants of New Balance, due to my weight and for the fact that I have a heel strike of note. I have improved this by changing my running posture to nearly upright.

The NB's just supports me so much better and the knee pain is never an issue. Secretly I would love to run in Asics, hopefully within this year my weight drops below the 85kg mark so I can reward myself with a pair that fits my fat right foot

Thank you Discovery Vitality... looking forward to some happy miles in comfort, and of course the cash back.

^^ lets see if the cash back is better than what is happening with the cycling cash back ;)

May they serve you well bud, ignore my post above. Enjoy your new babies

Thanks. I'm only planning on doing 5km to 10km (max), 2-3 times per week. Nothing serious!

I think I have fitted every single shoe (brand) available at SWH, as well as visited every store south of Fourways (where I got them from), West of East Rand Mall (that did my analysis but didn't have my size), East of Princess Crossing and North of the Glen.

It was a tough call between NB and Asics. The NB just felt better doing a short step test up/down their treadmill. They were reluctant to allow me to run in them on the treadmill.

Then there was the availability of size, or the lack of sizes and styles. I found plenty of shoes available in neutral setup where I have mild pronation, and a normal instep.

Edited by geraldm24

Thanks. I'm only planning on doing 5km to 10km (max), 2-3 times per week. Nothing serious!

Well on the 5th of March is the Vaal marathon which has a 10k and a 5k for you to test your legs out. Its just down the road for you. You even get to use your CCMC timing chip, championchip.

https://secure.onreg.com/onreg2/front/step1.php?id=3553

http://www.vaalmarathon.co.za/

Edited by ScottC-M

Well on the 5th of March is the Vaal marathon which has a 10k and a 5k for you to test your legs out. Its just down the road for you. You even get to use your CCMC timing chip, championchip.

https://secure.onreg.com/onreg2/front/step1.php?id=3553

http://www.vaalmarathon.co.za/

Thanks. As I'm building for the L'Etape SA in April, I will only consider running around the block for the next few months. Hopefully come May, I'll be ready to run the full distance - plodding/walking would best describe my 5K attempts at the moment  :blush:

We all started somewhere, so don't sell yourself short. The nicest thing about running is, there are no pelotons that you have to stick to, you run your own race and inevitably you will find someone doing a similar pace as you and before you know it you start chatting and the 5k or 10k is over.