ScottCM

Running my first full marathon this weekend - Vaal Marathon. Really looking forward to it, bit nervous though but feel prepared. Any advice for a first timer......?

I've only done two 42's so maybe I'm not the best to speak. My first was to qualify for OMTOM last year so all I wanted to do was get a second under 5 hours. Make sure you start ahead of the bus for the time you're aiming for, and don't let those buggers past you no matter what!

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here suffer from Femoral Nerve Entrapment? Did you manage to resolve the issue, what was the treatment and how long did it take? 

Hacc, we all have our bad moments... I'm sitting here, nearly two weeks since I last ran with a flu that I just can't shake. Vaal was one of my key targets, prime seeding race and now I'm not even sure if I'll be starting.

Comrades is a tough long journey, the training, and then the race - it's time consuming, life consuming. It's what makes it a challenge, it's also what makes it so great. I'm pretty convinced this will be my last Comrades for quite a while, I always just wanted an up and down medal, and I will focus on shorter distances, probably aiming to peak for Two Oceans heading forward. One thing I will definitely not do though is stop running... for time constraint training it's as good as it gets. I love being fit and the simplicity of it all, and it works so well in balancing out family time... I'm pretty sure it's similar for you. 4yrs on the Comrades trail I am sure is tough and will take it's toll, so if it's not happening, scale things back a bit, unburden yourself of that big looming goal and fall in love with your sport again.

Myself and my wife had this exactly same discussion almost to the letter this weekend.  We hade some time to pass on our lonely 42 long run..  :whistling:

As it stands now I recon this is how our running is also going to pan out, with omtom being the long one and nice other stuff all year round, trail etc...    And we hav'nt even done our first Comrades yet... :mellow: :D 

I have hit the wall with my training. For the past 2 weeks I have had no energy on runs and my heart rate is much higher than usual. As an example I usually hit z4 from 4:40/km, but for the last few weeks I reach z4 at about 5:30/km. I can't even do 4:40/km at this stage. I don't think it can be overtraining as I have been limiting my runs to about 3 (interval, tempo, long) runs a week due to a really busy work schedule the last month or so. I did a 21k race on Saturday and imploded with 10km to go and in the end I was about 11 mins of my best. What's up with my body?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks, Seabee, you are right. I am also convinced it is something physical.

I have been for a sonar. No stomach ulcer, liver, kidney or gallbladder problems.

I get gastro intestinal inflammation on longer runs, results in nausea and shortness of breath (something to do with pressure on diaphragm)

Doc gave me some pills to drink the night before big runs

Not sure what causes it, but doc recons it's drinking & eating & running

I have hit the wall with my training. For the past 2 weeks I have had no energy on runs and my heart rate is much higher than usual. As an example I usually hit z4 from 4:40/km, but for the last few weeks I reach z4 at about 5:30/km. I can't even do 4:40/km at this stage. I don't think it can be overtraining as I have been limiting my runs to about 3 (interval, tempo, long) runs a week due to a really busy work schedule the last month or so. I did a 21k race on Saturday and imploded with 10km to go and in the end I was about 11 mins of my best. What's up with my body?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Might be stress. Stress plays strange things on one's body. Maybe cut the interval and just do the tempo and long runs.

I get gastro intestinal inflammation on longer runs, results in nausea and shortness of breath (something to do with pressure on diaphragm)

Doc gave me some pills to drink the night before big runs

Not sure what causes it, but doc recons it's drinking & eating & running

Thanks, Fanie, will have a look at this. Do you only feel nauseous on long runs? Did the medication take away the problem completely? What tests did the doctor do to diagnose this?

Might be stress. Stress plays strange things on one's body. Maybe cut the interval and just do the tempo and long runs.

and knock it back in pace too - friend of mine who ran a silver last year (debut nogal!) has a lot of 6:30 6:47 minute k's training runs interspersed between the intervals and mid week long runs etc etc. It is the one component that i am trying to train my body to do. Runs like that take the ease off your body and limit injury too

Thanks, Fanie, will have a look at this. Do you only feel nauseous on long runs? Did the medication take away the problem completely? What tests did the doctor do to diagnose this?

yip longer runs, esp when it's hot and I increase my fluid intake.

Was diagnosed in medic tent at 70.3, from there my GP gave me the tablets to test on long training runs, as I said I take the tablets the night before and poof it resolved the problem.

Tablets the doc prescribed is Pentoz (used to treat acid reflux and ulcers)  

yip longer runs, esp when it's hot and I increase my fluid intake.

Was diagnosed in medic tent at 70.3, from there my GP gave me the tablets to test on long training runs, as I said I take the tablets the night before and poof it resolved the problem.

Tablets the doc prescribed is Pentoz (used to treat acid reflux and ulcers)  

Thanks, I will chat to my GP about this. It feels to me that I get more nauseous when I drink water on a run. I am drinking Lenamet at the moment, it is also used for ulcers and reflux. It seemed to help at Deloittes up to 17km. Will try it again on Sunday. 

Do you drink Coke at all at races? Does it help with nausea? 

Thanks, I will chat to my GP about this. It feels to me that I get more nauseous when I drink water on a run. I am drinking Lenamet at the moment, it is also used for ulcers and reflux. It seemed to help at Deloittes up to 17km. Will try it again on Sunday. 

Do you drink Coke at all at races? Does it help with nausea? 

I started drinking less coke as the doc believes drinking it is a contributing factor due to the acidity of the coke. Wherever possible I drink water and other energy/carb drinks.

Have you tried drinking less water? maybe the amount of intake is the issue

Do you eat before you run? 

I started drinking less coke as the doc believes drinking it is a contributing factor due to the acidity of the coke. Wherever possible I drink water and other energy/carb drinks.

Read this on the dogreatthings website a while back as well.

People often overlook the acidity of most drinks. By the time we have been out on the road for a few hours this starts to become unpalatable as we build up a total acidity. The use of alkaline or low-acidity drinks is far superior. This is a practice that dates all the way back to the 1920s when the great Arthur Newton used a mix of home-made lemonade, sugar, salt, and bicarb of soda in his “Corpse Reviver” drink.

Today the World Health Organization (WHO) has a formula that assists with hydration and has a similar alkali level. Carrying two or three Hydrassist sachets make it easy to mix this drink with water in the empty small bottles they offer coke in on the tables. One sachet after four hours and then every 90 minutes thereafter seem to work quite well. Give this a try in the next weeks.

Use Hydrassist as a means of ensuring you start the race fully hydrated, particularly if you flew in as there is always a risk of dehydrating while flying. One sachet on Friday after travel is a good start to ensuring you commence the race correctly hydrated. Using this easily obtainable and cheap oral hydration product will help to avoid the bloated feeling experienced when we have too much water in the stomach or we are tired of sweet-drinks. It is available over the counter at pharmacies.

Read this on the dogreatthings website a while back as well.

People often overlook the acidity of most drinks. By the time we have been out on the road for a few hours this starts to become unpalatable as we build up a total acidity. The use of alkaline or low-acidity drinks is far superior. This is a practice that dates all the way back to the 1920s when the great Arthur Newton used a mix of home-made lemonade, sugar, salt, and bicarb of soda in his “Corpse Reviver” drink.

Today the World Health Organization (WHO) has a formula that assists with hydration and has a similar alkali level. Carrying two or three Hydrassist sachets make it easy to mix this drink with water in the empty small bottles they offer coke in on the tables. One sachet after four hours and then every 90 minutes thereafter seem to work quite well. Give this a try in the next weeks.

Use Hydrassist as a means of ensuring you start the race fully hydrated, particularly if you flew in as there is always a risk of dehydrating while flying. One sachet on Friday after travel is a good start to ensuring you commence the race correctly hydrated. Using this easily obtainable and cheap oral hydration product will help to avoid the bloated feeling experienced when we have too much water in the stomach or we are tired of sweet-drinks. It is available over the counter at pharmacies.

I swear by Rehidrat, been using it for years... often have one the night before a race and in the morning before... take 2 along as well for on the road at marathons too. Just the standard one, never enjoyed the sport one quite as much.

Does anybody perhaps have a gpx file of the uprun please?

Will pull one off strava from 2015 when I get the chance

Seem to have finally kicked this effin bug... will pitch up at Vaal cold turkey on Sunday and see how things go - make a call on distance on route and of course keep a close eye on my heart rate.

My legs are at least very well rested  :w00t:

Good luck for everyone running Sunday, very lekker race... time for that seeding push  :thumbup: